joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
Sincerely,
David Wright

Comments

• Options
    both are equally impressive.
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    As hot as Utley has been, he's only ON PACE to hit 73 home runs. Amazing.

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wright will be NL MVP.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's having a heckuva season so far. Phillies bats are awesome no doubt about it, and we're gonna need 'em.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Wright will be NL MVP.

he certainly will win one or two ... maybe more.

Utley is better.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    That would be one heck of an infield if you had both Utley and Wright.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wright will be NL MVP.

he certainly will win one or two ... maybe more.

Utley is better. >>

Tough call- give Wright some more time and he may prove to be the better player.
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    I think both are destined to become firstbasemen as they are liabilities in the field. My guess is that Wright ends up at first next season and Utley within the next 3-4 assuming Howard leaves Philadelphia (he's already 29, so a long term deal would be questionable).
  • Options

<< <i>I think both are destined to become firstbasemen as they are liabilities in the field. My guess is that Wright ends up at first next season and Utley within the next 3-4 assuming Howard leaves Philadelphia (he's already 29, so a long term deal would be questionable). >>

hmm, liability= Gold Glove? Wow, I guess they gave Wright the award on accident. (Chipper should've won itimage, Mizuno even gave him his gold glove bonus because they were so impressed by him.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Wright is only 24 or 25 while Utley is 29 I think.

I never thought of Wright as a liability in the field.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    Both Burrell and Utley are batting .360

Mets, prepared to be passed.

Sincerely,
    The Phillies
  • Options
    Phillies are looking awesome. Frankly, I'm beginning to feel a little bit sorry for Braves fans and Pets fans. Must be a bad feeling knowing your team can't possibly win the NL East, and it's not even the end of April yet.
  • Options
    Phillies are looking awesome. Frankly, I'm beginning to feel a little bit sorry for Braves fans and Pets fans. Must be a bad feeling knowing your team can't possibly win the NL East, and it's not even the end of April yet.

That's pretty funny coming from a guy whose team nearly got swept by the Mets last weekend. image

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i> Phillies are looking awesome. Frankly, I'm beginning to feel a little bit sorry for Braves fans and Pets fans. Must be a bad feeling knowing your team can't possibly win the NL East, and it's not even the end of April yet.

That's pretty funny coming from a guy whose team nearly got swept by the Mets last weekend. image >>

Yea and afterwards the Pets are now laying down like the mercenary dogs that they are, and the Phillies have bounced back showing the same heart that they showed last season which will enable them to win the NL East again.
  • Options
    Phillies have bounced back

Bouncing back to a loss tonight!

LOL!

P.S. Mets win!

• Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hmm, liability= Gold Glove? Wow, I guess they gave Wright the award on accident. (Chipper should've won itimage, Mizuno even gave him his gold glove bonus because they were so impressed by him. >>

This from the same folks that gave the award to Rafael Palmiero for playing 11 whole games at firstbase?

Wright's defense is not on the level of what I would call a great defensive thridbasemen. His error total of 21 last year was consistent with his previous year's and he already has 4 for this season. Compare that to Chipper's total of 9 for the season. But for my money, the best defensive thirdbaseman in the NL last season was Scott Rolen and now it is Aramis Ramierez in Chicago. Far more range than Wright or Chipper and fewer errors.

Using the receipt of a Gold Glove to judge defensive ability is like using the SMR to price vintage cards. You may be right once in awhile, but there are way too many times where it is way off base!

While "liabilty" may have been a harsh choice of words, he's certainly not Brooks Robinson at the hot corner!

• Options
    HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    utley is almost exactly 4 years older than wright

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG

Career 598 2219 396 672 157 19 107 409 1188 217 404 48 9 .377 .535 .303
    Career 563 2098 362 653 151 9 101 384 1125 264 391 80 19 .390 .536 .311

utley IMHO probably slightly worse of a fielder than wright, tho neither are really GOOD.

utley gets a bit of a nod playing a position where offense is a premium, 3b is a traditional power position.
    wright gets a bit of a nod being a more well rounded offensive player (SB) and being 4 years younger, you can only assume he'll get better offensively, tho his speed wont ever be better.

• Options
    Happy birthday Chase!
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Just went thru their lifetime offensive stats and its amazing how close they are! A slight nod to Wright.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    I miss Stevek.
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>I miss Stevek. >>

I dont, his tireless efforts at defending Paterno and the other scumbags in that ugly situation were just too much.
  • Options
    Anyone know whatever happened to him?

• Options
    I don't know what happened to him, but I'm sure he'd probably be saying; Yeah but who has the WS ring?

Good for you.
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I miss Stevek. >>

I dont, his tireless efforts at defending Paterno and the other scumbags in that ugly situation were just too much. >>

That was a disgusting display by SteveK.
  • Options
    I must have missed all that, probably was in Italy (at least I hope I was)
    did he get bammed for that?

Hi Paul, Tim and Skip.

Good for you.
  • Options
    +1 for a WinPitcher sighting image

Good to see ya Steve image
  • Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I must have missed all that, probably was in Italy (at least I hope I was)

Hi Paul, Tim and Skip. >>

Good to see ya! Been fun around here lately...lots of lively debates, lol.
  • Options

<< <i>I must have missed all that, probably was in Italy (at least I hope I was)

Hi Paul, Tim and Skip. >>

I just checked--not bammed.

This thread is like a reunion, lol..

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    misss SteveK...

not afraid to take a side and share his views, even if they weren't the same as everyone else...

COME BACK!!!

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...