Home Metal Detecting

First silver of the year! - and my smallest ever- you know what that means...

So beautiful weather today in upstate NY, more like early summer than early spring and I decided to bring my detector with me to visit my brother who was already doing some spirng cleanup in his yard. I've hunted around it before but always in the summmer or fall and the mosquito's have been nasty since its near a wood lot. The house is old, probably predates the civil war but I've never found anything good, except for maybe my first pocket watch- it was rusted down to just the internals. I thought I had my first silver of the year and my first 1/2 dime when this popped out of the ground:

imageimage

Some type of childrens play coin I guess, gotta be fairly old my brother said it didn't look like anything his kids ever had and he's lived in house over 20 years and the person who lived there prior was an old maid who had no kids. Anyways, only other interesting find was a porcelin tea pot- yes a tea pot. It was in a hole next to what looks to have been some type of old lantern base and a couple of broken plates. It was intact with just a crack near top of handle- probably reason it was discarded. I was lucky enough to get it out of ground intact. I had visions of it being filled with old coins, but it was just empty image

I got tired of digging alot of old roofing nails at my brothers so I headed out to the park where I already dug an Indian cent and nickel this year to do some more detecting. Water had dropped a couple feet along the river bank but all I found down by it was a couple of lead sinkers and a 2002 nickel sticking out of the river bank. As I was leaving I headed up by the spot where I dug the two indians and picked up a weaker signal between a penny and a quarter on my Garrett, usually this means an older penny or a dime. About an inch down this came out of the ground:

imageimage

My first silver of the year and smallest ever- I guess you could call it a half dime- and how funny it was that I thought I had dug one already today- its even the same size as the childs play token I found at my brothers earlier in the day:

And to top it all off, I found a 1940 Canadian cent nearby and on top of that I think I got a sun burn on my arms, face and back of my neck- HH

Comments

• davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    You better stay in that area for awhile. Your havin' some good luck there.
    Nice find!
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You better stay in that area for awhile. Your havin' some good luck there.
    Nice find! >>

The best part is what I noticed there also today- a porta-potty, looks like they are getting ready to do some type of construction, which I hope means doing some digging!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool.. nice finds... let's hope it is the precursor of a great year. Cheers, RickO
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're doin' great. I've dug some Canadian large cents and one (later) silver dime, but no "fishscale" 5c pieces. WTG! image

The old play money certainly gets the blood pumpin' for a second, dunnit?

Then it's always a bit of a letdown when you realize what it is. But after the disappointment at not getting a 3c piece or half dime goes away, I usually find myself smiling anyway- I count the old play money to be as good as a Wheat cent, anyway. Maybe even as good as an early Wheatie.

You may recall some earlier posts about the old play money not long ago.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Kool Fishscale. I'd say your in the running for the best foreign coin this month.
  • gotta like that find...wtg...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage