Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show off your counterstamped coins. Mel Wacks designs in particular.

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
Here's a few I have. I still think the double struck one is a pattern trial.

Comments

• Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Mel Wacks helped oversee the new ANA Presidential Award medal, that features a "Goddess of Numismatics", reminiscent of designs by St. Gaudens.
  • Options
    Nice color !

Is it still in the original holder?
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    Reagan Inauguration – 1981; 1500 produced:

Supreme Court Justice, Sandra Day O'Connor - 1981; 500 produced:

• Options
    Fantastic coin !

I haven't got a 'hit' yet on one of those with my ebay "Reagan" search.

Maybe smoeday image
  • Options
    Dave,
    Do you know how many of the Eisenhower/1984 Olympic coins were made? Just curious-

(You could have that graded by PCGS this month free, any coin with an Olympic theme)
  • Options

<< <i>Dave,
    Do you know how many of the Eisenhower/1984 Olympic coins were made? Just curious-

(You could have that graded by PCGS this month free, any coin with an Olympic theme) >>

The insert says "no more than 2000" I don't know if they made a full run of it or not.
  • Options
    QuarternutQuarternut Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭
    Here is a popular counterstamp on a rare type...

These are one of the most popular counterstamps collected as part of the “Hard Times” token series which are generally found on bust half dollars.

Dr. Jacob Houck came to Baltimore Maryland in 1828 and opened a dry goods business at 121 West Baltimore St. It wasn’t until 1834 that he began selling “Botanic Panacea” for $1.50 a bottle and advertised in the 1835 to 1842 business directories. This Panacea was sold at various business address locations including 16 Hanover St., which was listed in this full page ad in Matchett’s Baltimore Director in 1842, up until the 1850’s. Henry T. Houck became proprietor of the firm in 1851 and in later years probably licensed it for others to sell as there is an 1855 advertisement in a Nashville Tennessee directory by a A.G. Goodlet for “Houck’s Improved Panacea & Goodlet’s Vegetable Lineament” listed at No. 29 1/2 Cherry St. Nashville Tennessee.

These countermarks are mostly found on United States Bust Halves, occasionally found on Spanish Colonial coins, and very rarely found on Bust Dollars or Bust Quarters.

QN

Go to Early United States Coins - to order the New "Early United States Half Dollar Vol. 1 / 1794-1807" book or the 1st new Bust Quarter book!

• Options
    DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Here is a 1819 large cent with a Stodder & Frobisher countermark.
    They were silver smiths in Boston 1816 to 1825.

Here is a clear example of their countermark from a piece of silverware.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    joeyuk,

That Stodder & Frobisher C/Punch is neat but did you notice that the one on your coin has lowercase characters while the punch on silverware is all caps?? interesting.....are any coins known with the alternate punch??

greg

this is my kind of thread!!

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭

greg

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>joeyuk,

That Stodder & Frobisher C/Punch is neat but did you notice that the one on your coin has lowercase characters while the punch on silverware is all caps?? interesting.....are any coins known with the alternate punch??

greg

this is my kind of thread!! >>

Actually I did not notice it. That is pretty cool.
  • Options
    a039a039 Posts: 1,546
  • Options

<< <i>Fantastic coin !

I haven't got a 'hit' yet on one of those with my ebay "Reagan" search.

Maybe smoeday image >>

Keep looking! They appear on eBay. However, you might want to add "Regan" to your search.image
  • Options
    Great color on those!
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    Does anyone have a compilation of Mel Wacks' designs? I could see putting a set of these together!image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    any others like this out there?
  • Options
    TavernTreasuresTavernTreasures Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Very early counterstamped quarter dollar coin from a Newark, NJ brewery. Looks like it was holed at one time.

Advanced collector of BREWERIANA. Early beer advertising (beer cans, tap knobs, foam scrapers, trays, tin signs, lithos, paper, etc)....My first love...U.S. COINS!
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could tell y'all about it... yet then I'd have to go Special Ops on y'all! image

(Found in circulation around 1980, I know nothing about it)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    MercuryMercury Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭
    Collecting Peace Dollars and Modern Crap.
  • Options
    Here's one from 1791, I think it's been counterstamped once a year for the past 217 years!

imageimage
  • Options
    No one else has any older counterstamped coins?

• Options
    tydyetydye Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got this one which NGC recently graded MS64, I believe it to be one of the finest known SMH counterstamps:

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
  • Options
    Hi, This is to advise everyone that Mel Wacks had nothing to do with the 1995-Star of David or Rabin counterstamps. I am surprised to see the double-stamped pattern Camp David Peace Dollar--I don't believe that I sold it and wonder where it came from. Ed McClung made it. Regards to all--Mel Wacks
  • Options
    I have prepared a catalog of all my counterstamps and are looking for a place to publish it--any ideas? Send to numismel@aol.com. Regards, Mel Wacks
  • Options
    Indy publishers are known to use http://www.lulu.com/
  • Options

<< <i>Hi, This is to advise everyone that Mel Wacks had nothing to do with the 1995-Star of David or Rabin counterstamps. I am surprised to see the double-stamped pattern Camp David Peace Dollar--I don't believe that I sold it and wonder where it came from. Ed McClung made it. Regards to all--Mel Wacks >>

The one in the OP came from an ebay auction years ago. On the "reverse" of the counterstamp, is a reversed image of a Jefferson nickel. I suppose a nickel could have been used as a spacer to make the 2nd strike deeper?

Current count on my Mel Wacks Counterstamp collection is 24 (with duplicates) image
  • Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Quarternut,
    what is the value of the bust quarters with counterstamps on them out of curiosity? And how rare would they be? >>

I'm sure Quarternut will chime in, but I have been looking for some time and only seen a handful. They are very scarce at the least, much more so than the halves. Probably just a bit more scarce than bust dimes...but not as rare as bust half dimes.

JMO
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does counterstamping on the third side (edge) count ?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay might be more interested in the other type of Schiller, but few know of this type.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

eBay might be more interested in the other type of Schiller, but few know of this type. >>

Okay, I found the Token Book copyrighted by Krause in 1994. On page 174 it states :

Rulau 105
    Date (1862)
    Metal : Cupronickel
    Size : 19 mm

"JB Schiller conterstamp on face of U.S. 1860 Indian head cent. Large X counterstamp over ONE on reverse of cent. Plain edge. Only 8 known (Brunk 35777)
    There are also scrip notes of this issuer, dated April 3, 1862, payable in Confederate currency, in 25 and 50-cent denomimations. New Orleans was under Union seige at that time; it fell to Admiral Farragut's forces May 1, 1862. The token is thought to represent 10 cents in value.
    John B. Shiller, an importer of spirits, also became the proprietor of the Sazerac Coffee House in 1859. This saloon at 16 Royal Street was in the Merchants Exchange building and became the favorite watering hole of the local business community. As an importer, Schiller was the agent for Sazerac-de-Forge et Fils of Limoges, France, and served the Sazerac brand of cognac exclusively.
    Schiller invented the 'Sazerac', or brandy co_ktail, the appetizer that made New Orleans famous.
    Bill Manning, in "J.B. Schiller Counterstamp" (TAMS Journal, Feb. 1978), advanced the theory that other denominations may exist, counterstamped V, XV, or XX, but this was never substantiated by the find of any specimens.
    The Schiller counterstamp was first reported in TAMS Journal for March 1963 by R Lindesmith in a letter to editor Russ Rulau. It was written up by Rulau in Coin World in 1963 also.
    It is, properly, a siege piece and thus even more important. "

Standard Catalog of United States Tokens 1700-1900
    by Russell Rulau
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brasher's long lost brother Isiah or Ishmail or Irving or ?

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Brasher's long lost brother Isiah or Ishmail or Irving or ?

image >>

NICE!! image:
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    It's probably late night/early morning where you reside, but here on the island of Guam its mid-afternoon. Just wanted to post my one and only counterstamped coin. It's a gold 1852-O quarter eagle. It has the same countermark on both sides. Just thought I'd share.

Ralph
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat. Any idea on meaning? Or just someone playing around.
  • Options
    Have looked for this type of counterstamp just about everywhere I can think of, but haven't found another like it. Maybe a merchant back in the day checking to see if it was real gold or not.

Ralph
  • Options
    You do have a pattern of the Camp David Peace Dollar. I have never seen it before and I would guess that it got out somehow from Ed McClung who was trying to counterstamp the coins. The only one I have from this die had part of design reamed off before it was counterstamped--see MW3TRIAL in TAMS Journal, March/April 2011.
    Regards, Mel
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few ...

imageimage

imageimage

Not mine ... but still a double dime!
    imageimage
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    What is it with 1875 and counterstamps? Take my word for it, this is an 1875:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file