Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I've just gone Dark... 19th Century Mint Error

Well I normally stay far away from the darkside... but this one being just south of the border just pulled me off the fence.

It's a Gem Bu 1882 (dated on the outer wall) Mexican 5 Centavos 19th Century Mint Error Die Cap with what looks to be a attached interior lamination.

What's left of the design that's not obliterated from being struck multiple times, has such a strong resemblance to a US Barber Liberty Nickel. I know there's a US Shield Nickle Die Cap known, but not sure about a Liberty. Anyhow this was available at Mexican labor rates compared to what a US Minted Error of the same would cost... so I just had to have it.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage

Holy smokin' cinco!!!
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Thats a very cooool coin. I would love to have it in my collection as well. image

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thats a very cooool coin. I would love to have it in my collection as well. image
    image >>

You and me both, buddy image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very cool...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! image
  • Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    A coin you can drink out of (or sip I should say). image
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    Broadstruck, certainley you dont care, but is there any way a coin of those dimensions could be slabbed by PCGS? And if you sent it in, would they just kick it right back to you with a refund of the grading fee? Again, I stress that im sure you dont give a crap about entombing this amazing error, just a hypothetical is all.
  • Options
    gecko109, great question! There's plenty of Die Cap errors that are too tall for any TPG service holder and they are returned RAW with a Slab Grade Insert only. This one I feel isn't too tall to fit... yet since the date is on the outer side wall unless placed in a Edge View holder I wouldn't ever consider it.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    What a stunning coin! I love error coins.

Welcome to the Darkside!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>What a stunning coin! I love error coins.

Welcome to the Darkside!

imageimageimage >>

Thanks... I heard there's Cookies? image
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Cookies stopped a long time ago... we have since upgraded to Doughtnuts!
    Todd
  • Options
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MrEureka needs to see this

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Si Senor
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Genial! image
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez, Broadstruck...where do you find all your goodies? That is one very attractive world error. I need to visit the dark side more often! image

I usually just lurk and cruise for ancient errors, but this one is just spectacular! Thanks for sharing it!

Lane
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options

<< <i>Geez, Broadstruck...where do you find all your goodies? That is one very attractive world error. I need to visit the dark side more often! image

I usually just lurk and cruise for ancient errors, but this one is just spectacular! Thanks for sharing it!

Lane >>

Thanks astrorat! image
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Okay ENOUGH OF THIS GREAT AND WONDERFUL COIN ERROR!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that I have that off of my chest, I would like to say.... How much would you take for it!!?? image
  • Options

<< <i>Okay ENOUGH OF THIS GREAT AND WONDERFUL COIN ERROR!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that I have that off of my chest, I would like to say.... How much would you take for it!!?? image >>

Thanks but it's Not For Sale! image
  • Options
    My experience with error coins and PCGS is this. If the error coin fits in their slab they will do it. When a coin does not fit in the slab they will send it back. I hate to say it but I have not gotten refunded, they are not in the refund business. I have been fortunate and I do have a few errors from two Latin America countries:

1. Costa Rica Pride
    2. Only one in this collection El Salvador

Errol

F&AM