Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Registry type set strategy?

Well once my SLQ arrives, if I like it, then I am done with the current modern type set. So what to do now?

Well I was thinking I might look for some coins for my complete type set. But what about new type sets? What about upgrades?

Originally I was going to get all non gold in proof and all gold in MS. But in the heat of competition I used a few circulation strikes in my modern type set because they were cheaper than proofs. For example the Type 1 Buffalo I have is MS 64, I also have a MS Mercury dime.

So I guess I will buy a type coin if it is both PQ and a good price. Otherwise I will wait to see what changes PCGS makes. How about you other type collectors, are you buying or waiting?

Sorry for rambling on like this, I feel a little disoriented now that I expect to be %100 complete soon image I miss the focus trying to complete a registry set demands...

Comments

• Options
    I am still working on my Type set

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    I have a broader set of objectives than PCGS covers in their sets (at least right now). I will continue to work on my objectives, and when they overlap with the Registry, I will post the coins to my sets.

I set my personal objectives by considering the question: "What do I want my collection to look like 20-30 years from now?" I needed this perspective to bring some rationality to my collecting, and it has really helped. As an additional benefit, I don't find myself very concerned about what PCGS might do to the Registry.
    Collecting should be fun. Set registry is just another way to enjoy collecting. It is not and cannot be the final assessment of a collection's "value".
  • Options
    I agree blato1. If PCGS changes the registry and you are having fun collecting what you like, than keep collecting. I won't change my collection every few years as PCGS modifies the sets.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    Carl,

Now that I am at 100% for Modern Type and MS Modern Type, I have decided to split my annual budget into 4 areas in the future. 25% goes to savings so that I can upgrade pieces in my Modern Type set with time. 25% goes for gold type pieces pre-1900. 25% goes for copper, nickel, silver type pieces pre-1900. And 25% goes for opportunities of interest.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    I'm not buying any type coins until we get some clarification on what PCGS is going to do. My main interest is in the basic type set idea. If they list it, that's what I want to do. I don't really want to buy the modern set pieces I don't yet have, because I may not need them for the basic set. Example, I don't really want more than one SLQ. I might decide not to buy gold at all. Despite, what some of the dealer pundants are saying, I really don't think gold it is a good value. So, I'll wait and see what happens.

Greg
  • Options
    Greg,

I've held off quite a bit on Type purchases, except those that you expect in a set no matter what. In a Basic Set, you would expect to see a Flying Eagle cent or a 2 cent piece regardless, so it is on my wantlist. I won't look at purchasing any of the Seated material until the Type sets are clarified though.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback folks!

Cameron, I took a look at your set and liked it! You have some nice business strike coins and one ebay special. Keep it up.

blato, I tried for your goal but kept getting sidetracked. I couldn't focus on a goal that might take 30 years to finish. That explains the non-type coins in my collections image

Greg - don't you think you need at least two SLQs for your type set? The third type is a little stretch but I got one thinking that it could indeed be a good investment. They seemed hard to find, much harder than Saints at a similar price. I guess a basic type set would have only one, but I fell for these quarters.

So this thread helped me. I will be like Keith and save up cash and try to finish the basic type set if and when it shows up. Having nearer term realistic goals helps me focus.
  • Options
    Carl:

For a basic type set, I would just buy one SLQ, as a basic set would only focus on major types. The type one/type two are obviously different, but I would still call them minor types. Same for the t1/t2 Buffalo nickels. I do think SLQs can be a good investment if selected carefully. If I were to buy a type 1, I would look for a D or S in 65FH. Somewhat more expensive, but I think better value if you are bullish on the set.

Cheers

Greg
  • Options
    I am too am waiting to see what happens to the Type Set before I buy anymore. Heck I am even waiting to see what happens when NGC adds a 20th century set to their Regsitry. The psuh is on to get one setup over there as their next set. On their forums there is a POLL for what set is going to go up next.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    I'm not a Type Set collector but I am waiting on the changes on the Lincoln Sets.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns