Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Live! might be going bye bye.

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
eBay Axing Live Auctions Platform

Always seemed to me that it was probably more headache than it was worth.

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    This will hurt Heritage's business.
  • Options
    jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This will hurt Heritage's business. >>

Not a bit.
  • Options
    Interesting, there are a few that I follow via that venue. With Heritage I usually bid through Heritage Live, rather than the eBay Live interface. At least I can see and hear the auctioneer on Heritage Live.
  • Options
    CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>

Not a bit. >>

Particularly if they have (and I would surprised if not the case) retained an email list of successful eBay bidders.
    Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Options

<< <i>

Not a bit. >>

So the "ebay element" did absolutely ZERO to raise some of the final hammer prices? Sounds like thats what you are saying. Do not underestimate ebay's profound role in getting Heritage recognized by the masses. I never even knew about them until one day I tried to bid on a coin they had listed on ebay.
  • Options

<< <i>Do not underestimate ebay's profound role in getting Heritage recognized by the masses. >>

Heritage owned the online coin auction market before eBay Live! was even a twinkle in Meg's eye.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    In fact, Heritage has probably been hurting themselves by participating. Their eBay feedback is in the toilet.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ, it doesnt change the fact that me, and probably thousands of other collectors first stumbled onto Heritage via ebay.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting, there are a few that I follow via that venue. With Heritage I usually bid through Heritage Live, rather than the eBay Live interface. At least I can see and hear the auctioneer on Heritage Live. >>

It costs 5% more to bid thru Ebay Live, so it is a no-brainer to go to Heritage directly.

In fact, I have done that with other auction houses as well -- if I see a coin I like on ebay live, I just go directly to the auction company's web site, bid there, and save 5%.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    One of the few recent eBay moves I agree with. image
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Russ, it doesnt change the fact that me, and probably thousands of other collectors first stumbled onto Heritage via ebay. >>

i agree with this. i learned of auction houses through ebay live and
    went to their website directly.
  • Options
    BXBOY143BXBOY143 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭
    HERITAGE WAS HERE BEFORE EBAY AND I AM SURE WILL BE HERE LONG AFTER EBAY........BEST REGARDS!!

-PAUL
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I will not miss it, and I doubt Heritage will either.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That will make searching actually a tad better...I hate searching in some of the categories and finding 10s and 100s of friggin' "Heritage Live Auctions" image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307

<< <i>I will not miss it, and I doubt Heritage will either. >>

If it wasn't beneficial to Heritage to use ebay, they would have stopped on their own. While it won't damage their operations severely-there will be some effects.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307

<< <i>That will make searching actually a tad better...I hate searching in some of the categories and finding 10s and 100s of friggin' "Heritage Live Auctions" image >>

I agree. I think Heritage used ebay as a advertising venue more than anything.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options

<< <i>That will make searching actually a tad better...I hate searching in some of the categories and finding 10s and 100s of friggin' "Heritage Live Auctions" image >>

image And Heritage is not the only auction house to use ebay live!
    Gary
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't Heritage the one that continually sold rare coins for $0.99 BIN and then refused to honor the sales? image

Hey jhdfla - I like your new icon. House is my second favorite show... The Shield is #1; I can't wait image
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭

totally agree!!!

K S
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't Heritage the one that continually sold rare coins for $0.99 BIN and then refused to honor the sales? image
    >>

That was Superior, not Heritage. I've bid on a few live auctions from other smaller companies (including one recently that was the subject of a couple of less than complimentary threads here), and I much prefer the "traditional" eBay auction experience. MY biggest pet peeve was the way the closing times in the listings were always regularly 12-18 hours after the live auction was held. I missed out on a lot today that was listed as closing at 2AM tomorrow, the auction was actually held at 2PM this afternoon.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't Heritage the one that continually sold rare coins for $0.99 BIN and then refused to honor the sales? image

Hey jhdfla - I like your new icon. House is my second favorite show... The Shield is #1; I can't wait image >>

I am glad it's gone, my worst buying nightmare ever was " Ebay live"

I too am addicted to the Shield !!! When does it start again?
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>eBay Axing Live Auctions Platform

Always seemed to me that it was probably more headache than it was worth.

Russ, NCNE >>

That coupled with the fact that they seem to play by a different set of rules!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

Hey jhdfla - I like your new icon. House is my second favorite show... The Shield is #1; I can't wait image >>

No, that was Superior Galleries
  • Options
    This is gonna be sweet!
    -Rome is Burning

• Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Very good news.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

The more things change, the more they stay the same..........

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The more things change, the more they stay the same.......... >>

Yeah....saw that they are back in it. Ebay is an experiment in running a multi billion dollar corporation like a Tilt-a-Whirl and still making money.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    eBay seems to of learnt how to sell fakes from Ali Baba with this reinvented platform. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file