Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Overgraded PCGS coins -- Submit for downgrade, or not?

I recently purchased several collections, and am now the proud owner of several more overgraded PCGS coins. That's not really a criticism of PCGS, it happens with all services to one degree or another. Overgraded coins are an inevitable result of an imperfect process.

I have dutifully submitted what I considered "important" coins for downgrade in the past, such as the PR70 Ike mentioned recently, and PCGS has stood behind their grading guarantee admirably.

However, especially from a dealer's standpoint... downgrading a coin is inconvenient, costs money (e.g. shipping costs), results in sometimes substantial lost resale profit, and ties up capital for a significant time.

So from a practical standpoint as a dealer, it's far better to just resell them at a "bargain" price (hopefully, with their flaws described), and move on.

My motivations in the past for turning them in for downgrade were philosophical. However, I've recently questioned some of my reasoning behind that.

I'd be curious to hear others' arguments pro or con... downgrade or resell?

Comments

• Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    For the good of the whole numismatic community, you should get the coins regraded. Thats the utopian view.

That being said, I would resell the coins noting the fact that you believe they are slightly overgraded. As you pointed out, its not that easy to downgrade a coin. In the end, PCGS might still disagree with you on whether the coin should be downgraded.

keoj
  • Options
    I have seen you use descriptions in the past on your website when you think a coin is overgraded. You also adjust the price accordingly. I feel that is a very fair and ethical way to deal with a "generic" coin that is overgraded.

Greg
  • Options
    I'm not sure how a dealer thinks. But as a collector who is selling coins I must say it does get discouraging when you sell at a loss, which is what I mostly do. A dealer probably will go to great lengths to avoid this situation or will go out of business.

So can you really sell an overgraded coin for a profit? I mean can you sell an overgraded coin for a profit AND describe it correctly as overgraded? If so I want to find out where you guys buy your coins! Or maybe I can just offer crazy low prices for whole colletions and take my lumps on a coin here and there while making it up on the rest?

I've just taken another good look at my Jefferson PR 70s. I sent two more in. As to other grades I couldn't really tell if they are overgraded or not. But a 70 that has a visible flaw can't be a real 70 so that seems pretty clear.
  • Options
    Put 'em on ebay and advertise them as PQ! That's what a lot of other people do.
  • Options
    I would turn the coins in for down grading. I have had to do this and yes it hurts but if more collectors did this we would diminish the pool of overgraded coins. I hate buying a coin to find out that it isn't up to standard. If you buy the coin off Teletrade, Heritage or other auctions, you have to pay a fee to return the coin. Even if there is no fee to return the coin, I have lost time, postage fees etc...

When I buy certified coins, I mainly buy PCGS. I would like to know that I can trust the grade on a sight unseen purchase and not have to worry about the hassels associated with returning a coin.

Tad,
    You post pictures of your coins with excellent descriptions. I would never hesitate purchasing a coin from you but I can't say the same for other dealers. If you sell these coins they will be out there in the market and someone will eventually get stuck with these overgraded coins. They will also have to deal with the quandary, sell and take the easy way out or face a possible loss of time and money and correct the situation permanently. I think if more people returned coins to PCGS for Grade Guarantee, we would stop seeing grading flucuations every few years. PCGS would be forced to be more conisistent to avoid buying back all the coins that were overgraded during the "loose grading periods"
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    Before I joined this forum I was foolish enough to buy an IGC MS70 '98 Matte Kennedy half on Teletrade. I am going to submit it to PCGS for a cross-at-any-grade because I look at the coin and think "there is no way this can be a 70". I would be much happier if it sat in a holder that showed the correct grade on the label, be it MS68 or MS69.
    Matt
  • Options
    I bought a highest graded Lib Nickel from Teletrade awhile back for a very good price. When I got the piece, it was clearly overgraded. So, my quandry was do I keep it or send it for downgrade. If I sent it back, I knew I would probably not have another chance to buy a highest graded piece in that date. But, in the end, I realized that I didn't really have a highest graded piece at all, just a grading error, so I sent it in for downgrade.

As a dealer bidding for a collection, I would bid based on the coins I see. If I see an overgraded coin, I would bid a little lower so that the PCGS refund amount would cover costs and give me a small profit. I think this would be the best service to the market, and still make it worth your while to do the deal. I also have no moral objection to selling a properly described overgraded coin at a discount.

Greg
  • Options
    Tad,

I guess it depends on the kind of coins that you got. If you are talking a common date MS-66 state quarter that looks like a 65, a simple description that mentions that PCGS must have been really generous would suffice. If you are talking a MS-70 commem with a huge tick, that needs to go back and get downgraded.

Keith
    Keith ™

• Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I've submitted enough coins to PCGS that they clearly undergraded. I can't exactly call them up and say, "Hey, you graded my 1971-D Ike $ an MS64 and it is clearly MS65". I take the loss, because it isn't worth the money or time getting it regraded at the right grade. PCGS doesn't care about me or my undergraded coin. Why should I care about an overgraded coin?

I just can't be bothered removing overgraded coins from the marketplace. When PCGS starts offering a refund on grading fees for all the BS undergrades that they have given me, then maybe I'll consider resubmitting coins for downgrade. Until then, screw them! Let them do their own work.

PCGS has basically been so arrogant and act like they are right and they can grade better than us little people, so if they say a coin with a giant scratch on the cheek is MS68, then who am I to complain?
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    TAD ILL BUY THEM AND KEEP IN MY COLLECTION.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    I would return them. It keeps the grades on track and would benefit PCGS in the long run. The registry would be more accurate also.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tad, IF one of those overgraded coins is a 1979 MS67 SBA, I'll buy it anyway. I only want it for the plastic.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Regarding the mechanics of downgrading:

For the sake of argument, let's assume I've got expertise in my field and am not sending in borderline cases, so getting a downgrade is easily accomplished. The more difficult part is establishing how much of a refund PCGS should give me.

For example, I often will buy (sight-unseen) a collection for a lump sum because a collector wants to sell them all at once. Often I will pay "too much" for the common/lower-grade coins in the set in order to get a scarce date/grade or two, that is I take the junk to get the gems.

When one of those gems turns out to be a lemon, how do I make the case to PCGS how much I should be reimbursed? Should they eat my losses on the "junk" coins?

And, as a dealer highly dependent on PCGS, do I really want to continually get in arguments with them about how much money they should give me? They do stand behind their guarantee admirably, but at the same time they don't exactly give you a pat on the back and a gold star for costing them a couple grand. image

But the general question is what I am more interested in... (next post)
  • Options
    My previous philosophical/ethical view has been in line with most of the thoughts expresed so far -- that is, we should remove overgraded coins as keoj states, "for the good of the whole numismatic community". I have felt an obligation to "do the right thing", and send in coins for regrade when the grade is clearly wrong and the price difference between grades is large.

BUT, is that really the "right thing"?

Consider a PR70 Ike, whose value is highly dependent on the label, and is eagerly sought by registry collectors.

If that ugly PR70 Ike is being sold for thousands of dollars, advertised as "pop 19", should I be glad that I helped reduce that pop from 21 to 19? What if I woke up one day with a vision, and was inspired to go on an Ike crusade -- buying every PR70 I could find and downgrading them all at great expense in time and money. Let's say I succeeded in reducing that pop from 19 to a mere 5 coins.

Now, do you suppose the owner of that same ugly Ike would be inspired to downgrade his coin too, or would he advertise it for sale as a rare "pop 5" coin? What do you think that "pop 5" coin would then sell for?

From a selfish standpoint, that seems like a flow of money from my pocket to someone else's, with no benefit to me.

Ok, suppose that in addition to that crusading vision, I was a rich philanthropist, money didn't matter. I was simply trying to make the collecting world a better place.

Would I have really helped? I'm not so sure. Reducing the pop from 19 to 5 on that coin has made any remaining clunkers far more expensive -- in other words, some naive collector may get stuck with a $10,000 mistake instead of a $2000 mistake.

How about the other side, from a collectors' standpoint...

Let's say you're a registry collector -- if you had an overgraded coin in your collection without a chance to buy a replacement, would you turn it in for a regrade? Would you still do it if that caused you to slip a spot in the ranking? Still saying yes? image Ok, would you still do it if you knew you would lose your ranking to a guy that had an overgraded coin in his collection?

Or assume you're a collector who owns one of those PR70 Ikes. I'm out there reducing the population like a madman, continually increasing the value of your coin as the populations decline. Would you throw yours in too, or go along for the ride? If I was your accountant, I know what I'd advise! The last guy to "do the right thing" is the big winner.

So, the more I've thought about it...

From a practical standpoint the case against regrading is pretty strong.

Even from a high-minded ethical standpoint, I'm less sure than I was. It seems like "good" sellers get hurt, "bad" sellers profit, and naive collectors aren't protected either way.

In other words, business as usual. image
  • Options
    Wow supercoin. I have never thought of it like that. I am going to have to think about this topic. This is almost as good as the thread on leasing cert numbers.

Cameron Kiefer

• Options
    I wouldn't want to own a 70 with a visible flaw. If I return the coin I'm not profiting, but I'm not losing money either. And I end up with a collection of coins I like. So I returned a coin and gave up registry positions.
  • Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336

> results in sometimes substantial lost resale profit

I thought someone said that PCGS would reimburse coin buyers
    according to prices paid or Market Prices.

How could you lose resale profit if they will reimburse
    market prices?

Let me know,
    -Keith H
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tad: Good thread. I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I go through it ALL THE TIME. The worst part about is is the fact that you really do not "get a pat on the back", or, for that matter, the "thank you" you might deserve. I have stopped offering to help (for free) collectors with this very problem, because with every coin I return, I feel like it's another "strike against me" in the eyes of PCGS.

If it's OK with you, let's limit your discussion to the "easier question" of where you have an obvious, no questions asked, problem, such as a PR70 with an obvious scratch or mark. To this point, I have taken the "high road" in most cases and simply given them back to PCGS for "modest" credit. For example, when I returned a 1961 Proof Quarter in PCGS-PR70 I recall asking them for $200 grading fee credit. It's obviously worth much more than that. As I recall, the PR70 Botanical only cost PCGS $400-$450 when I returned it, etc., etc., etc. On the hand, does taking the "high road" build respect with PCGS and intangible credit such as when Tad was able to convince PCGS to add the wide rim SBA as a variety, or, on rare occasion, where I must have a coin "rushed through" the system, a better chance someone will listen to my request- I believe so.

Forum members may recall I recently got in that modern Wash Quarter collection including 20+ PR70DCAM coins. I identified one coin that has a noticeable problem (a small scratch under 10x power) from among the 20+ PR70DCAM coins. I expect to likely be returning it to PCGS in the near future (I was very pleased that the other 20 or so PR70s were very nice overall).

Now, the PR70 situation is a very different situation I believe from the situation where I think a PCGS-MS66 Wash quarter is really an MS65 in my book. I agree with gmarguli on this point. Who am I to tell (3) of the finest graders in the world they messed up because "little old me" thinks they did? I would generally only submit a mint state coin back to PCGS for review where it was a "no question" 2 full grades overgraded in my book and, I would make darn sure I was right so that my credibility would not be lost on the next encounter. I didn't follow my own advice recently and presented an MS68 state quarter I thought was only an average quality MS67 for PCGS to consider. They concluded the coin was fine as an MS68. I was probably wrong for presenting that coin to them in the firstplace. I will not do it again, even if I think the coin is a point lower because I realize that the issue is a "grey area" and it really comes off wrong when I am debating over a 1 point difference. Instead, I will just sell the coin as a problem coin and mention it is not the kind of quality you expect from me and price it very low.

Conclusion: Where a coin is "black and white" overgraded (e.g. PR70 with a noticeable scratch) it should go back to PCGS or NGC whether it is easier to "blow it out" to a collector or not. Where the coin is at least 2 MS grades off, it should probably go to PCGS, where you want to take the "high road". Anything less than 2 grades, I see not problem selling the coin with a reference to "below average quality" or something like that. This is not "etched in stone", but a pretty good guideline I believe. What do you guys think? image Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Keith, on low-pop coins it may be hard to establish a "hard" market value without actually selling the coin. It's one thing to come up with a reasonable estimate, quite another to ask PCGS to shell out money based on that estimate.

Probably not impossible, but not really something I'd prefer to get into an argument with PCGS about. In the past I have only asked for my purchase price back, which they have done.

But again, even asking for purchase price doesn't work well when I'm buying a whole collection -- especially when it's all mixed in with common stuff I didn't really want.

Mitch, those sound like reasonable guidelines for determining whether a coin is a downgrade candidate or not, but doesn't anser the "why" question.

Can you (or anyone) provide a reason why it is the "high road" to turn those coins in, at least with coins like low-pop PR70s? That was my previous assumption as well, which I am now questioning for the reasons I outlined above, especially given current (sometimes registry-driven) market dynamics.

By the way, I can think of one elegant solution, to the "bad days" PR70s at least, that truly is a "high road" solution. But since corporations are not ruled by that sort of sentiment, it ain't gonna happen. image
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Tad, how about this? Keep all the overgraded coins and build the ugliest top-notch set registry with them! You can use it as an object lesson and warning to buy the coin, not the plastic. All the registry folks will love you for it.

The high road to me would be to send it in for a downgrade. You can't control what someone else will do with his overgraded coin. Speculators would love to buy them at a discount and hype them on eBay for a quick buck. You can't stop them from doing that with other peoples' coins, but you can keep one more overgraded coin in your possession from going back on the market.

On the other hand, collectors should learn to grade and not merely rely on a slab insert for direction. We can't make the world 100% safe for them.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    I understand what you're saying, but I can't prevent someone from hyping and reselling anything I might sell them, at least as long as I'm in the coin business! Though admittedly having the coin attached to that PCGS label makes it easier. Still, shouldn't my responsibility end with selling the item honestly, and the new owner's responsibility begin from there?

Your point also doesn't the diminishing-population problem. If I downgrade that low-pop PR70, it makes it that much more lucrative for the guy with one of the remaining overgraded coins to sell his.

Heads he wins, tails I lose. image
  • Options
    I don't consider taking less money than I paid for a coin with
    a grade guarantee to be taking the high road. (I guess I'd
    consider that silly image )

If you do it because you think you will get some future
    benefit from PCGS then I wouldn't consider that taking
    the high road either. Just an educated business decision.

> Can you (or anyone) provide a reason why it is the "high road" to turn those coins in
    I liken it to picking up a piece of trash you see blowing down
    the street. You are improving the community/environment you
    live/work in. (Of course if there was a fee for me to clean
    up my town I wouldn't do that either image )

So what's to keep a dealer from telling PCGS that he paid
    whatever his estimate of the coin's value is?

-Keith
  • Options
    One other comment: This is the PCGS position:

Anyone who knowingly forwards on a mechanical
    error is perpetuating an error as well and as such can be held
    responsible/liable for that action.

In other words, if you knowingly include yourself in the chain of sale of a coin, don't underestimate the risk that the ultimate buyer may have his claim against YOU and possibly not PCGS. Food for thought image Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you sell a coin based on the grade given by PCGS, I do not see how you can be held accountable for the grade PCGS gave the coin. If it is an error that you should have caught, like a mis-attributed coin, that may be different. Even then, they would have to show that you knew there was an error in the attribution and sold it anyway. (I do know a case of a mechanical grade error, we sent an MS65 Franklin in to be re-holdered, and PCGS re-holdered it with an MS68 grade. We sent it back)

But grading is highly subjective, so I do not see PCGS coming back and saying "We graded the coin wrong, but you are responsible because you should have caught it."

There is a difference between a mechanical error and a coin that was graded using a standard that has changed.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tad, The only flaw I can spot in your thinking is the assumption that all the other 19 (taking your 20 PR70 Ikes-) are not worthy of the 70 grade.
    Maybe that's true? But, I've got to believe some, if not most of those other PR70 coins are true 70's. If not then the whole PR70 Ike market is pointless and once the word gets out, REAL Ike collectors would more than likely shun all these coins rather than spend thousands to obtain them.

And, if I'm wrong on ALL the above, then shame on that collector who doesn't care- who really is just buying the insert! It's a false prop that once his set is seen by others will become glaringly apparent how transparent that collector is.

peacockcoins

• Options
    > Anyone who knowingly forwards on a mechanical error is perpetuating an error
    What's the definition of "mechanical error"?

-Keith H
  • Options
    Keith: I'm not sure if there is a standard definition of "mechanical error" or if it is like what the US Supreme Court said about defining pornography many years ago (something to the effect that: I can not define it, but I know it when I see it) image

Let's assume for sake of argument Supercoin is fed up with dealing with PCGS and their slow processing (as he puts it) of a horrible PR70 coin, which he is trying to return for a refund. The coin has ticks all on the reverse because by accident a "sealer" dropped it on the floor after grading and didn't tell anyone, picked it up off the floor and slabbed it. Now, Supercoin sells it for TOP DOLLAR to an unsuspecting collector. Supercoin breaks all records and gets $5000 for the coin from the (idiot) collector.

Question: Should this be Supercoin's problem, or PCGS' problem when the (idiot) collector comes back asking for a $5000 payoff? Is this a "mechanical error" or does it fall under some other category granting immunity to the grading company where a dealer sells an OBVIOUS mistake in grade? Interesting. image Wondercoin.

• Options
    How does PCGS know that Supercoin should question the grading PCGS gives the coin? That sounds like a pretty liberal excuse for putting the blame on someone who is not at fault. Pretty typical in todays society, but still a sham.

I would think a mechanical error is when a coin is graded one thing, and the actual person who places the coin in a holder puts something else on it. Even then, they would have to show that the dealer intentionally sold this. Also, what if the coin had been bought and sold a few times since PCGS graded it? The person who should carry the financial burden would be the first person who received it, but they are well back in the chain. What dealer is going to eat a coin when they were not responsible for the error?

Even in your example, unless PCGS delivered the coin to Supercoin, hard to place the blame on him. He is buying and then selling a coin that was guaranteed to be what it says by the company who certified it.

Edited to also add. You are saying that if PCGS damages a coin, then the coin dealer should eat the cost of the coin?
  • Options
    I don't believe I said "slow processing", and did not mean to imply that PCGS drags their feet in regrading a coin. As I recall, the Ike I downgraded was refunded with about a month turnaround, not terribly fast, but also not longer than what it takes to get a coin graded. From a dealer's perspective though, waiting a month to take a (small) loss vs. taking an instant profit and getting working capital back immediately... well, that's a significant difference, especially on an expensive coin.

In any case I want to be perfectly clear -- PCGS has stood behind their grading guarantee in my experience. This is a key ingredient that people who criticize "buying plastic" often forget -- quality plastic comes with a quality guarantee.

Mitch, where did you find that quote of PCGS' policy, and is it a recent quote? I hadn't seen the part about "passing it along", and don't ever recall signing something like that. I certainly can't see how they'd enforce that, particularly on someone who is not nor ever has been a PCGS club member or dealer. If someone buys a coin on the open market and passes it along, they aren't signing PCGS paperwork along the way.

Presumably they'd have a stronger case against submitters, who currently sign this when submitting coins:

"Customer must inspect all coins immediately upon receipt and PCGS disclaims any liability for damage or discrepancies (such as errors pertaining to the description of the coin) unless reported to PCGS within five (5) days of Customer's receipt of the coin(s). Customer agrees to return any incorrectly described coin to PCGS upon request for correction and agress to indemnify and hold PCGS harmless from any and all losses and / or claims caused by the circulation or sale of incorrectly described coin."

This replaces the old statement which was similar but said "obvious mechanical errors pertaining to the description of the coin". The new statement also adds that magic "indemnify and hold harmless" stuff.

Note that neither statement says anything about grade, and it would look pretty silly if it did. They can't very well ask to take good money to professionaly grade your coin, then require you to hold them harmless if they grade it wrong. image

So I can't see how PCGS would have any recourse (other than suspension of grading priviliges) if someone were to sell an overgraded coin, whether they submitted it themselves or not.

Mitch, I also have to give you a hard time about this -- it's interesting that your $5000 sight-unseen offers for quarters always mention that it can't be a "mechanical error" yet you don't seem to be able to define that term yourself. image
  • Options
    Keith, So what's to keep a dealer from telling PCGS that he paid whatever his estimate of the coin's value is?

Nothing, though of course you're going to have to justify it, it's not Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Please appreciate that if you're a dealer whose livelihood depends greatly on your relationship with PCGS, that's just not going to be a fun discussion for you to have. image

Regarding "cleaning up the streets", I agree with that (literally and figuratively) but again it's not quite the same. That is, would you rather have 19 old newspapers laying around your sidewalk (relatively cheap overgraded Ikes), or 5 steaming lumps of doggy doo (really expensive overgraded Ikes)? image
  • Options
    Tad, I would sidestep all of those things in the street image
  • Options
    "Mitch, I also have to give you a hard time about this -- it's interesting that your $5000 sight-unseen offers for quarters always mention that it can't be a "mechanical error" yet you don't seem to be able to define that term yourself."

Tad: You haven't been paying attention: It's now $6,000 through 2/15/02 image Wondercoin. P.S. I'll ask my lawyer what thay term means image
  • Options
    braddick, The only flaw I can spot in your thinking is the assumption that all the other 19 (taking your 20 PR70 Ikes-) are not worthy of the 70 grade.

Unfortunately, that's exactly what I am assuming, based on what I know of a sample of those coins, and based on the cold hard population numbers over time.

PCGS has always maintained publicly (to the best of my knowledge) that they just grade 'em as they see them, no standards have changed since their inception.

But look, PCGS had graded a total of one PCGS PR70 Ike, a 1978-S, since their inception. Then somewhere in early 1998, during a surge in other PR70 populations, one more, a 72-S. Then at the end of 1998, 30 more 72-S and 74-S, all within ONE submission. And then since then, zero more.

Submission rates did not rise dramatically to explain any of this. So was it a dramatic increase in submission pre-screening by submitters? For the 30 in one submission in particular, that explanation would fit only if that was a fantastic meticulously selected hoard. Unfortunately, this is not the case either, as among those 30 coins are at least several glaringly overgraded (by today's standards) examples.

Also consider today's submissions of 2001 dated coins -- even though the quality of many of these issues (Sac dollars are one exception) is far superior to most older coins, they are getting PR70 rates at only a tiny fraction that older coins receive during the "bad time".

This cannot be explained away simply by saying the submissions are lower quality due to many more inexperienced submitters today, because even in absolute terms, the overall quantities per date are much lower. With the fantastic prices PR70s reach today, surely dealers who made PR70s before would be making them in similar or higher quantities today, if they could.

So, the bottom line is that PCGS standards did change (loosened) and later changed again (tightened). Any other explanation simply defies credibility.

Again, this phenomenon does not apply just to Ikes -- that one bulk Ike submission happens to be an instance I know about that hilights the problem dramatically. But PCGS PR70 rates rose sharply across the board during that same period.

----------

Which brings me nicely to this point: There *IS* an elegant solution that solves the PR70 problem specifically, and it is this:

1. PCGS admits they made a mistake with older PR70s. "We were sniffing glue at the time", or "Our Y2K computer preparation accidentally added 1 to all our PR grades", or whatever the reason is.
    2. PCGS announces that if you want to take advantage of an older-holder PR70 grade guarantee, you have six months to send it in for review.
    3. Coins reviewed during that period will either be downgraded and money refunded, or encapsulated in a visually distinct new holder and guaranteed to today's PR70 standards.
    4. After the six month period, PCGS will no longer assume liability for an old-holder PR70.
    5. Old-holder PR70 coins will no longer qualify for inclusion in the PCGS set registry.

This is, of course, a very expensive proposition for PCGS, so it's purely academic. But you have to admit it would sure clean up the neighborhood in a hurry!
  • Options
    Ok, having re-read what I just posted, I don't want that to come across like I'm bashing PCGS specifically... so one more time:

PCGS has stood behind their grading guarantee admirably in my experience, including PR70 coins.

Given the phenomenal prices of some PR70 coins versus the tiny amount of money PCGS made in grading them, that is no small statement.
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Hey Tad, check this out,

This past September I thought I would submit two coins for review (overgraded), one for designation review (the '56 Proof I've B*tched about), and a coin of the quarter.

Coordinated everything, included a letter of explanation trying to clear the waters for a smooth transition. So, PCGS knows I have a few problem coins coming. I'm sure image it was merely coincidence, but, this is the package that disappeared. Of course I've had all kinds of conspiracy theories going in my head, like PCGS didn't want to CAM my type1 PR67 Franklin, then the two overgraded coins; maybe they didn't want to make good on, so they got pigeon-holed.

I guess realistically, the USPS just goofed, but I sure was disenfranchised losing that half; I haven't sent in another submission since.

So anyway, I tried to do the right thing and had to settle for a postal claim. Not very encouraging, hmmmmm!

BTW, you've all heard about the ANACS shipment to the FUN show that disappeared, huh? Think it was the latest CW.

Seems with so many new collectors, so many holiday hires, the Anthrax scare and who knows what else, shipping coins had become a hit or miss prospect for both the mailers and the AHEM, deliverers?????
    Gilbert
  • Options
    It was said in another thread that one person, so one can conclude many, feel that PCGS is such a strict authority that this would not even happen. Since a major majority would not even dispute anything on an insert, certainly not a grade, I do not see how an overgraded coin could be submitted back to PCGS.

Of course, most of these people cannot grade to begin with, which is why they choose to get a coin in a PCGS holder. How can one of these people even consider a coin to be wrongly graded?

(This is a serious question to this thought of disputing an overgrading. Many feel they were slighted when sending coins in to be graded, not many would feel that any grade is too much.)
  • Options
    dbldie55 - I used to buy plastic, learned a little about grading and now discover I have a flawed 70. That is how it happened to me.

Super - I am not doubting your statement that no Ike 70s may be real. I think many of my Jeffersons might be plausable 70s. I suspect some Roosey's might be plausable 70s.

I sent in an obvious mistake and kept the rest. So the overall quality of the Jefferson 70s improves.
  • Options
    Carl, there are unquestionably coins that deserve a PR70 grade assuming reasonable criteria for "flawless".

Whether your Jeffersons or someone else's Roosevelts would regrade PR70 today, even if they deserved it, is a completely different question.

The cold hard facts -- both in percentages and absolute numbers -- of 70s graded today versus the past puts the odds against squarely against it. Crack a few out and find out. image

Look, I'm not meaning any offense to any PR70 collectors -- I sell these PR70s after all -- it's just my honest assesment of the situation.

My experience in looking at these coins and submitting them backs up my opinions, but I'm not even asking you to believe any of that -- just look at the hard data yourself and see if you can come up with an alternate explanation.
  • Options
    Getting back to the original point of my post...

Last call for someone to convince me the world is a better place if I send in my PR70s for regrade!

As it is, I think I'm going to simply ask myself this practical (and selfish) question for each PR70 I come across:

Considering all time and cost factors, would I make more money reselling this coin, honestly described, or is it so bad that I would make more money sending it to PCGS for a regrade at an easily supportable market value?

Then I'll donate the extra money to help save the rain forests -- thus making the world a better place after all. image
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Supercoin, sell the coin to me for what a PR69 would sell for & I'll donate $50 to some rain forest fund. I'll dispose of the coin in the proper way.
  • Options
    Selling overgraded junk as legit slabs is a dumb move, long term, which is probably why you don't do it yourself, Mr. Tonelover. If you're a dealer, what better way can you imagine to burn off your retail customer base than selling them overgraded coins?

Any serious collector soon learns which dealers don't care which are the accurately graded coins and which aren't. So, for a dealer who wants to keep his customer base intact, the three choices are

(a) Advertise the coin as overgraded and swallow your loss

(b) Send it in for reslabbing

(c) Off-load it in the wholesale market

Looking for great US-Philippine coins, the funnest and probably hardest US sets to complete. I collect varieties and neat error coins as well as the regular business strikes and proofs.