Home Sports Talk

Are elite, world class athletes one dimensional and boring off the field?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
In my own experience in sports (playing high school and college hoops), it seemed to me that the best and most talented players were those whose life revolved solely around basketball. From ages 3-5 years old forward, they lived, breathed and drank the game. 10-14 hours a day was not enough time for them to devote to the game.

These players were very one dimensional and when they were in situations outside of basketball, they seemed out of place and uncomfortable.

For those who have experience with elite athletes of any sport, is "one dimensional" an accurate description of them?

Comments

• I've been around a few from various niche sports. They've all been as unbalanced as the rest of us. Never boring
    Tom
  • It seems at least in the professional ranks that an elite athletes being boring away from the field/court is a GOOD thing. Too many malcontents with wasted talent screwing their lives up because they feel the need to continually live the party life or be the center of attention (i.e. Pacman Jones, Jose Canseco, etc.)
    Atlanta Braves, Charlotte Hornets, Shawn Kemp, Dale Murphy, and Bobby Engram.
  • metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    only the ones who forget where they are from. These are the infamous ones though. what coulda been vs. what is. The list is long so. nevermind.
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.