Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hispanic Society Suing ANS ?

Hispanic Society Suing ANS

By David L. Ganz, Numismatic News
April 10, 2008
Battle of the learned societies has begun at the Hispanic Society of America launched a broadside against its former neighbor, the American Numismatic Society, seeking the return of 38,000 coins the ANS has been cataloging since the death of Arthur Milton Huntington in 1955 at age 85.

Huntington was a major benefactor, multimillionaire, and philanthropist who largely funded Audubon Terrace in New York City's Washington Heights at the turn of the 20th century. Among the organizations that he sponsored were the American Numismatic Society, and Hispanic Society of America, the American Geographic Society, and other learned organizations dedicated to scholarly analysis of the arts and sciences.

In 1948, the Hispanic Society of America collection consisting of some 30,000 coins, many of which were hammer-struck, including many of the ancient world, was placed on deposit with the ANS, making it the finest collection of its kind in the Americas. That is the source of the 2008 legal controversy.

Hispanic Society Suing ANS LINK

Comments? Opinions?

Comments

• Options
    MichiganMichigan Posts: 4,942
    They have been cataloging these since 1955?

I wonder if they even have an accurate inventory of them after all these years?

Return the coins already.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

Geeesh. I thought that I was slow! To everyone, it is important to read the link that mrearlygold provided in the OP.
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why wouldn't ANS simply give them back? They can't sell them and they don't own them. I wouldn't think that some sort of "squatters rights" would prevail.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    The way I read it, I agree with BlindedbyEgo, I don't see where the ANS has much of a case to keep them, unless they are claiming the HSA didn't have the right to change the agreement from permenent to yearly, then revoke it completely. Seems to me some info is missing from the article.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope they can settle this quickly, out of court. It's a stupid thing to have to fight over.

Edited to add that I hope a settlement would at least allow the ANS the right to document and publish the collection.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the HSA wins the suit, only to dump them on the open market, it will be a sad day........
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If the HSA wins the suit, only to dump them on the open market, it will be a sad day........ >>

Or a good day, for the right buyer(s). In life, someones ox always gets gored.
  • Options
    Does anyone here know what's going on with this?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hispanic Society Suing ANS

By David L. Ganz, Numismatic News
    April 10, 2008
    Battle of the learned societies has begun at the Hispanic Society of America launched a broadside against its former neighbor, the American Numismatic Society, seeking the return of 38,000 coins the ANS has been cataloging since the death of Arthur Milton Huntington in 1955 at age 85.

Huntington was a major benefactor, multimillionaire, and philanthropist who largely funded Audubon Terrace in New York City's Washington Heights at the turn of the 20th century. Among the organizations that he sponsored were the American Numismatic Society, and Hispanic Society of America, the American Geographic Society, and other learned organizations dedicated to scholarly analysis of the arts and sciences.

In 1948, the Hispanic Society of America collection consisting of some 30,000 coins, many of which were hammer-struck, including many of the ancient world, was placed on deposit with the ANS, making it the finest collection of its kind in the Americas. That is the source of the 2008 legal controversy.

Hispanic Society Suing ANS LINK

Well I guess the Hispanic Society owes the American Numismatic Society mega bucks in storage fees. Sounds like a fair trade - ANS wipes the storage fees off their books, and the Hispanic Society forfeits the coins.
    Comments? Opinions? >>

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is another excellent example of why coins don't belong in museums.

On the surface it would seem the ANS has no recourse but to return the coins. They don't own them.

But ...

Which group can afford the craftiest lawyers?
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Does anyone here know what's going on with this? Strange that the story completely disappeared from the press.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Que lastima.
  • Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe the ana guys are moonlighting and handling all the pcgs quarterly submissons now?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would seem the legal wrangling, drawn out for the profit of the legal firms, continues. Otherwise, I am sure an announcement of some sort would have been made public by now. Swift justice is only in minor cases. When big money is involved, it is all about billable hours. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file