Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Take THE MILESTONE COINS CHALLENGE

DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
(From the April 2008 Whitman Review)

TAKE THE MILESTONE COINS CHALLENGE

Recently I sat next to a fellow coin collector as we traveled by plane to a national
show. The long flight gave us time to talk about our collections, numismatic books
and publishing, the U.S. Mint, and other hobby topics.

I was surprised by a certain world-weariness in the conversation with this very
knowledgeable collector. He had reached an advanced point where his collections of
U.S. coins included many of the finest known, the highest graded, the most
expensive, the most rare. So why the weariness? Lack of intellectual curiosity was
not the problem, and neither was drive; he was simply out of “holes” to fill in his
collection. He’d reached all his goals, conquered all his challenges, and---to put
it bluntly---he was getting bored.

Once you have all the dates and mintmarks in a coin series, how do you keep up your
interest? Most collectors in that position will start the process of
upgrading---systematically gathering higher-grade examples of each coin, and
“deaccessioning” (to use a museum archivist’s word) the lower-grade pieces, until
everything has been raised to Mint State. Some collectors will expand their
collection to include die varieties, such as those explored in the Cherrypickers’
Guide
, or misstrike and error coins, like the ones seen in appendix A of the
Guide Book of United States Coins. Others will try to find another coin
series that inspires their imagination enough to start a new collection.

If you’ve reached a plateau with date-and-mintmark collecting and you’re looking for
a fun new approach to the hobby, Whitman Publishing presents The Milestone
Coins
Challenge

Kenneth Bressett (who most collectors know as the longtime editor of the Red Book,
and award-winning author of numerous hobby books and articles) has written a unique
book titled Milestone Coins: A Pageant of the World’s Most Significant and
Popular Money.
It’s an engaging volume, covering more than 100 coins, tokens,
and other metal objects (like the “knife money” and silver “shoes” of China) that
people have used as currency. Bressett tells the stories of these remarkable
collectibles, going back to ancient Ionia and following them across centuries and
continents to modern-day America.

imageimage

“Herein are my observations on what I view as some of the hobby’s most popular
coins,” writes Bressett in the preface. “They have proven to be favorites as long as
they have been around. Among them, you are sure to find some of the pieces that you
are particularly fond of as your personal top picks. Others may be new to you. I
invite you to explore them all, and to broaden your total enjoyment of numismatics
by expanding your awareness.”

imageimageimage

The Milestone Coins Challenge is this: to take Ken Bressett up on his
invitation, to build a collection of each of the 110 coins whose stories are told in
this entertaining book.

Every coin in Milestone Coins is collectible---although some are very challenging to
find in the marketplace, and will require a lot of hunting! Chances are you already
own some of these milestone pieces. Chapter 10, “Money in America,” includes such
popular coins as the Indian Head cent, the Morgan silver dollar, and commemorative
half dollars. Chapter 9 (“Emerging Concepts in Coinage and Money”) includes British
Conder tokens and the Maria Theresa thaler of Austria.

The pieces in Milestone Coins are presented with enough flexibility to let
you build a unique collection. Ten friends could each take The Milestone Coins
Challenge
, and they would build ten very different collections. Some of the coins
are specific—like the 1909-S V.D.B. Lincoln cent—but many are in groups broad enough
to allow creativity in dates and types. Civil War tokens and Conder tokens, for
example, provide thousands of different varieties to choose from!

Split the list up among your coin club’s membership, and take the Challenge as a
group. Or challenge a friend and see who can build their collection the fastest, or
acquire the best examples (perhaps within a set budget, perhaps no-holds-barred).

By the time you’re done (and this contest will take some time, challenging your
savvy as a collector), you will have a display-worthy collection of 110 of the most
significant and popular coins in world history---“the basic cornerstone pieces that
‘everyone’ eventually wants to own,” as Bressett calls them; the “classics that seem
to never go out of style.”

Beyond that, though, you’ll have assembled a world of knowledge on some of the most
intriguing coins ever made. Display them at a convention, show them off at your coin
club, take them to a local school and teach the students about what you’ve learned
along the way.

100-plus fascinating stories, 100-plus pieces of money, and a fun new way to
approach the hobby await you.

To take The Milestone Coins Challenge, borrow or buy a copy of
Milestone Coins, and print a copy of the PDF checklist below to keep track of
your collection.

Click here for the Milestone Coins Challenge checklist.

Comments

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭
    interesting read. thanks for sharing it.
    guess that advanced collector should have chose a harder series ;-)
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see the ANA use this book as a template for public exhibitions of coins. Collectors could assemble the pieces and arrange for a display at a local bank or museum. Then, a representative of the ANA could come in to a assemble a modular exhibit in a few hours. I can envision 100 such exhibits throughout the country within 10 years. It would be great for the hobby, of course.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    WalmannWalmann Posts: 2,806
    After going through that checklist of coins my pen has plenty of ink left. Somewhat humbling reading the list as my collection has been limited to US and German coins.
  • Options
    Walter, if you don't mind my asking: how many of the Milestone Coins do you currently have in your collection?

• Options
    PM sent.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>interesting read. thanks for sharing it.
    guess that advanced collector should have chose a harder series ;-) >>

I have to admit I understand exactly where that collector is. Can't remember the last time I added a coin to my seated dollar set. image
  • Options
    A recent post about "hitting a wall" in collecting made me think of this thread from last spring.

• Options
    Since I was in the business of selling ancient coins for several years, I was feeling pretty good about the list, since I owned most of them, and still own a few. After that, things went downhill. image

Looks like another book I need to "collect." Thanks for reviving the thread; there's more to numismatics than filling holes in albums, and gloating over numbers on slab labels.
    Good deals with: goldman86 mkman123 Wingsrule wondercoin segoja Tccuga OKCC LindeDad and others.

my early American coins & currency: -- http://yankeedoodlecoins.com/
  • Options
    If I were 25 or so again, I might give it a try.
    Also, I'd have to go back now to many of the countries I've been to already.
    Fascinating list. Great idea.
    JT
    It is health that is real wealth, not pieces of gold and silver. Gandhi.

I collect all 20th century series except gold including those series that ended there.
  • Options
    It's been a year since this was first posted and a number of new collectors and forum members of late may find this of interest.
  • Options
    Another recent "hitting the wall" post brought this back to mind.

If you'd like a copy of the "Milestone Coins Challenge" checklist,
    PM me.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting... somehow missed this thread initially.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    PM sent, Dennis
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file