Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1855 kellogg 50 dollar commemorative restrike PCGS gem proof

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
from gold found on SS central america....about 2 1/2 ounces of gold, minted september 12 2001

Any numismatic value beyond bullion?
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they do have some premium but they are very thinly traded so if you're going to sell, you should list a high selling price/reserve, not rely on bidders to bid it up.

One thing is that I don't think PCGS will assign a numerical grade or allow these in the Registry. I think the grade is more from a marketing arrangement than their standard grading process.
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    VERY little. I had a few of those on Januray 23rd ( what was gold on that day? ) and sold them for $2500 bucks each. Hope that helps you determine value.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is not a restrike. It is a modern gold medal that is made to look similar to a pioneer gold coin.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Rumor has it that there is a PCGS slabbed Chocolate version of this coin out there also.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It is not a restrike. It is a modern gold medal that is made to look similar to a pioneer gold coin. >>

Not true. They were made from transfer dies from the original dies. While they aren't true restrikes, don't confuse them with replicas or medals.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

<< <i>VERY little. I had a few of those on Januray 23rd ( what was gold on that day? ) and sold them for $2500 bucks each. Hope that helps you determine value. >>

I think there were also some sold for around that price back when gold was in the $600-700 range. Like most gold with thin demand, as the price of gold increases, the collector premium decreases.
  • Options
    The original issue price was $5000 so any that were bought at $2500 were quite a bargain.

• Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I have not seen any available, that is one on my short list of modern coins to buy.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll pay full melt for one with box and paperwork, 96% for the second one.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭

<< <i>The original issue price was $5000 so any that were bought at $2500 were quite a bargain. >>

Gee, would you like to buy some dot com stocks? I've probably got some lying around here somewhere. They're worth zero but just for you a special price--50% of original issue. Such a deal.

CG
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    They might generously be described as “medals struck with altered copy dies from original California gold coin dies.” The gold was obtained by melting several gold bars recovered from the SS Central America ship wreck. However, the California bar gold alloy was altered so that any link between the original alloy and the medal was lost.
  • Options
    Did they stamp the bar number on each coin/medal? Or is that something else?

What's the difference between a copy die and a transfer die?

Are all US coins struck by transfer dies - made from the master dies?
  • Options
    RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    If I have extra cash to spare, I'll buy this coin as a novelty item.
    One recently sold for $3150 on Ebay $50 Restrike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The original issue price was $5000 so any that were bought at $2500 were quite a bargain. >>

Gee, would you like to buy some dot com stocks? I've probably got some lying around here somewhere. They're worth zero but just for you a special price--50% of original issue. Such a deal.

CG >>

So you're comparing 2.5 ounces of gold to a piece of paper?image

• Options
    The one I bought for $2450 came with the fancy frame and I have never regretted buying it. Since it contains gold that was actually recovered from the SS Central America makes it an historical collectible. This is as close as I'm going to get to owning a gold slug.

• Options
    GoldenEyeNumismaticsGoldenEyeNumismatics Posts: 13,187 ✭✭✭

There's very little demand for them. They trade for a hair over melt. You can consider them a bargain, but you won't be able to get much over melt when it comes time to sell.
  • Options

<< <i>If I have extra cash to spare, I'll buy this coin as a novelty item. >>

Isn't any collectible coin a "novelty item"?

• Options

<< <i>

There's very little demand for them. They trade for a hair over melt. You can consider them a bargain, but you won't be able to get much over melt when it comes time to sell. >>

True if you sell one to a typical coin dealer. See the post above where one sold for $3150 0n eBay.

• Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    There is one on eBay now that is offered along with the 49er Horseman. Pretty high minimum bid.
  • Options
    The Horseman $10 gold coins that I've seen bring considerably more than melt. They did have a lower mintage of about 3500.

• Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
  • Options

One just sold on eBay for 3150 (no reserve):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120314299475

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhhhh, my gold Cypriot coin was once owned by Midas and came from the center of the Earth millions of years ago....So What!

Honestly I just do not understand why any particular significance is put to a coin just because it comes from melted gold from another source. Design OK, not the real thing as has been pointed out on these.

I really don't see how it makes any difference that the coins were taken from transfer/copy source, or if the mintage is 3500 - it is still not the real thing and no better than some of what the Chinese are selling.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were made from transfer dies from the original dies. While they aren't true restrikes, don't confuse them with replicas or medals.

The dies were modeled off the original dies, not off a coin. The reverse copy die was then significantly altered. In my mind, this puts the piece in a class of its own. But whatever you want to call it, it's certainly not a restrike.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    A local dealer offered me one for $2700 last week (I passed). It is big, beautiful, slabbed, and also comes with an ornate box. But...the price is still significantly above melt value for the 2.5 oz. of gold it contains. Think of it as a fancy gold art round----if the premium over melt doesn't matter, buy it if you like it. If gold shoots up to $1100/oz, you would be able to get your money out of it if you need to.
  • Options
    The saddest part of the imitation mess is that they destroyed several original California gold bars to use the metal for these medals. Then, the promoters refined and alloyed the California gold so that it lost all identity. They could have at least brought the fineness to the original coin’s level, but kept the unique impurities that link the gold to the gold rush era.
  • Options
    partagaspartagas Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭
    RWB, I thought they shaved off the top to keep the markings intact "to preserve the history". Although I know it still technically destroyed them, but made them more marketable.

Anything for the all mighty dollar, when you talk about odyssey marine.
    If I say something in the woods, and my wife isn't around. Am I still wrong?
  • Options
    Ron Landis of Gallery Mint Museum re-engraved the dies, and the gold bars had the top 1/8 to 1/4 inch shaved off in Eureka Springs. They were allowed to keep the extra filings that came off the bars during slicing, so Joe Rust made sure to use the biggest blade available, so I've heard
  • Options
    Yep...they shaved off the tops of most. Superficial preservation. But the gold in the "coins" is no longer real California gold - it was "prettied up" for sale to suckers.
  • Options

<< <i>... it was "prettied up" for sale to suckers. >>

Heh! The dread of late capitalism.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    very neat gold coin but very expensive! Like someone mentioned, original price of 5k!!!
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file