Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Internet Payment Options Available . . . ?

So, it has been established that Paypal can often not be trusted. Does anyone know of - or better yet USE - any other methods of online payment via internet - that can be utilized for eBay auctions - or does eBay even allow others beside PP?

What about to be utilized for off - eBay sales - and also what about those companies that take the product and the money and swap them to both parties for a fee . . . Has anyone used those - name? fee amount?
can you use them on eBay?

Post what you know, and your experience with the company/number of years, etc.

Maybe we all need to boycott PP as well as eBay. I know, I know - convenient and you get more buyers, blah blah blah - but well I have heard many horror stories over the years.

Comments

• Options
    The horror stories you read on this forum and others have one thing in common: They are all from one side of the story. Many come from sellers that did not do their part to make sure they covered under safe transaction guidelines. As a it, PayPal offers most of it's high volume sellers a level of protection that is un precedented in the merchant services industry at about the same fees other services that don't offer half the protection that PayPal does.
    Never teach a pig to sing. You'll waste your time and annoy the pig image

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Who established that paypal "can often" not be trusted? I know I've done a couple hundred thousand dollars in business and have either paid or been paid via paypal, and have had less than a handful of "issues" of which I have not lost once.

My Wife almost was ripped off by one dirtbag from germany, but paypal ultimately ruled in Her favor.

That's a total of at least $250,000.00 in gross business via paypal and less than $5,000.00 in problems. However bear in mind that we will not accept paypal for coins valued at more than $1,000.00 because we are afraid of what we've heard elsewhere.

And frankly, crap coins crap customers, this whole ebay thing has been "illuminating" to say the least and we have been scaling it down for several months now . It started as an experiment , and we've given it a fair amount of time to which I'm considering it now for mostly lower end or common material. The better material seems to attract "mostly" bottom feeders and is not cost efficient for our business.

Now with the potential scams and counterfeits surfacing, the bottom feeders and scam artists can all chase each other around on ebay . Maybe ebay will find itself having to litigate with someone like that famous attorney at law, that friend of coin collectors everywhere, that master of torts, and retorts, Chuck Lipcon. Or an army of them. Now that would be justice.

I'm rambling, it's way past my bedtime. Sorry image
  • Options
    DieClashDieClash Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭
    I use Paypal and I always use a credit card in case I need to charge back. It doesn't always give me a warm and fuzzy feeling as a Seller though, but I believe it is the best means of exchange.
    "Please help us keep these boards professional and informative…. And fun." - DW
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BONGO HURTLES ALONG THE RAIN SODDEN HIGHWAY OF LIFE ON UNDERINFLATED BALD RETREAD TIRES
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    btt

This thread is asking for internet payment options OTHER than Paypal - Not is PP good, bad or fugly.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>btt

This thread is asking for internet payment options OTHER than Paypal - Not is PP good, bad or fugly. >>

None available for eBay... BidPay was the last one that tried & failed...
    Google check out is available on a limited number of sites...
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The horror stories you read on this forum and others have one thing in common: They are all from one side of the story. Many come from sellers that did not do their part to make sure they covered under safe transaction guidelines. As a it, PayPal offers most of it's high volume sellers a level of protection that is un precedented in the merchant services industry at about the same fees other services that don't offer half the protection that PayPal does. >>

I've been using PayPal for over 7 years & never had an issue with them.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 1,039 ✭✭
    so eBay does not allow you to use anything other than their lil baby, Payal?

• Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    You could set up your own merchant account to accept credit cards, or you can accept checks, cashiers checks, or money orders (or Ron Paul Dollars if you likeimage ).

Edited to add, you would still have problems with Chargebacks. I personally agree with almost everyone else who has posted before me that paypal for the most part, and if used properly, gives you great overall protection for the price they charge.
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    dac076dac076 Posts: 817
    Google check out is available on a limited number of sites...

Has anyone used this, and is it cost effective? I know Ebay prohibits "Paypal not accepted", but I don't see why you couldn't add a note in your description for customers to contact you for "other payment options".
  • Options
    ca0100000ca0100000 Posts: 362 ✭✭
    Payment Services permitted on eBay: Allpay.net, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Moneybookers.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, Paymate.com.au, Propay.com, XOOM

Payment Services not permitted on eBay: AlertPay.com, anypay.com, AuctionChex.com, BillPay.ie, ecount.com, cardserviceinternational.com, CCAvenue, ecount, e-gold, eHotPay.com, ePassporte.com, EuroGiro, FastCash.com, Google Checkout, gcash, GearPay, Goldmoney.com, graphcard.com, greenzap.com, ikobo.com, Liberty Dollars, Moneygram.com, neteller.com, Netpay.com, paychest.com, payingfast.com, Payko.com, paypay, Postepay, Qchex.com, rupay.com, sendmoneyorder.com, stamps, Stormpay, wmtransfer.com, xcoin.com
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/accepted-payments-policy.html
  • Options
  • Options
    I used to use ProPay all the time for direct CC payments... never had a problem.
  • Options
    JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557

<< <i>The horror stories you read on this forum and others have one thing in common: They are all from one side of the story. Many come from sellers that did not do their part to make sure they covered under safe transaction guidelines. As a it, PayPal offers most of it's high volume sellers a level of protection that is un precedented in the merchant services industry at about the same fees other services that don't offer half the protection that PayPal does. >>

I'll agree here... for the most part 99.9% of transactions go flawlessly without any issues... it's that 0.1% that very loudly gets heard here. I work for a company that has done thousands (possibly into 6 figures in numbers) of transactions through PayPal in the past 4 years and have had exactly........ ONEp/b]......... issue ever... and that issue went our way because we had a signature proving the buyer received the package and then initiated a chargeback through his credit card company.

Though one caveat... I realize that it is harder for the little guys to get things to go their way when it comes to PayPal disputes. The system definately favors larger companies that do a high volume with PayPal. When you get to certain thresholds, you get assigned account reps and those account reps do help out a lot when you have issues.
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    google checkout is good, BUT needs a work-around to get past EBAY.

If you use an off-EBAY invoice system, you can include GC as a payment option.
    Unless someone complains, you should be fine.

GC was free for ALL of 2007. It is now free, if you buy enough google ad-words.

http://checkout.google.com/sell/?promo=sha2&gsessionid=ZFcODSbzlcE
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    You can't easily use Google Checkout -- of that, I can assure you.

I tried to put up a listing and merely by including the phrase "Google Checkout" in the description section, eBay would not process the auction. The reason (in paraphrase): "eBay discourages the use of unreliable payment methods."

As an aside, I am one of the folks who recently posted a discussion about a problem I'm having with PayPal. While I have BIG issues with the way that PayPal has handled this particular transaction, I should point out that I have also used PayPal extensively since 2000 (as a buyer and as a seller) and have no other major problems to report. I am not, in any general sense, a PayPal basher -- when PayPal works, which it does in the vast majority of cases, it works very well.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled question .... image

<< <i>so eBay does not allow you to use anything other than their lil baby, Payal? >>

Please visit our eBay store:
    FESTIVUS MAXIMUS - (Opened in 1998, 1000+ transactions, 99.9+% positive feedback)
    ** Recently completed our first two successful CU transactions: thanks dragon!
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    "I tried to put up a listing and merely by including the phrase "Google Checkout" in the description section, eBay would not process the auction. "

///////////////////////////////////////////

Correct.

MANY sellers simply include GC as an option on their third-party generated invoice.

Unless somebody rats to EBAY, there is no problem.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options

<< <i>btt

This thread is asking for internet payment options OTHER than Paypal - Not is PP good, bad or fugly. >>

Sorry, I just felt like ranting image
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Check out freequickwire.com.

Wonderful facilitator of wire fraud. Just use someone else's account info to wire money.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file