Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on this Feuchtwanger cent take 2

notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
This morning I posted this thread on this cent. Before I posted the thread I sent an e-mail to the seller that I would be returning the coin. I was concerned about the small spot of corrosion on the front and a few hairlines I could see thru the flip. He promptly responded that I could send the coin back no problem SO LONG AS THE STAPLE IS STILL INTACT. (emphais his, not mine).

So I looked at the coin several times today and liked the photos. I convinced myself that the hairlines I could see were random in direction...so tonight in a fit of frothy excitement fitting of a longacre post, I pulled out the staple and effectively bought the coin.

Here is a better photo of coin in diffuse light without the flip in the way. Still pretty attractive:

But still, I was worried about the hairlines. So I turned on a couple of more lights and rotated the coin 90 degrees and saw, well, exactly what I expected to see. Tom B, you were right on target with your comment:

--Jerry

Comments

• Options
    percybpercyb Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭
    Cool!! I like that coin!! Cool color. Is the color closer to the first front and reverse or the second set of photos!
    "Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world." PBShelley
  • Options
    The first set of photos is probably closer to the actual color. --Jerry
  • Options
    DJCoinzDJCoinz Posts: 3,856
    Is it actually that dark in hand or is it the lighting? Even with the hairlines it's still a very attractive coin.
    aka Dan
  • Options
    gecko109gecko109 Posts: 8,231
    BB for harsh cleaning. But great details. I bet you kinda wish you could put that staple back in about now, huh?
  • Options
    It's dark in low light and bright in harsh light. it is a very interesting color from that standpoint. I put the reveal bulbs back in the lights (4 total) and adjusted them a little and I'd have to say i got better color representation. here are a couple of shots that are real close:

Gecko, yes, I guess I was pretty certain it was a BB based on the e-mail I sent the seller earlier today but I talked myself into believing it was ok.

I agree it is still a cool coin and I often enjoy nice examples of problem coins. I'll probably end up keeping it but anyone who still loves this piece feel free to PM me about a change of ownership while I'm feeling down on the coin. If anyone buys it from me they won't have to leave a staple in to retain a return privalege. image

--Jerry
  • Options
    bump for dayshift.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad about the piece.image The spot of corrosion was obvious from every image and would have made me send it back, but I understand that many folks can overlook such things on this type of issue. The rest...well...
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That spot above the snake's head look somewhat active.

That would bother me too much (let alone the hairlines).

Excellent strike though.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Tom,
    Remember this coin is only the size of a dime and the spot of corrosion is very tiny. Indeed, I was first focused on that. But in hand I convinced myself that it was small enough not to worry about. Indeed, it isn't distracting in hand and my plan was to mitigate it with oil in a minor conserving effort.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this thread the second time around but I'll just point out to buyers how deceptive photos can be. I've posted 4 different sets of photos of this coin that DON'T show the hairlines and one that does. Indeed, these aren't bad hairlines but they are clearly there so make sure you trust the guy you buy from.

--Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file