Home Metal Detecting
Options

Learning Curve

Although I have had my detector for 10 years or so, I have hunted sparingly at best. Sometimes a year plus between hunts. Really, all it took to get motivated was to come here and read the posts. Then I couldn't wait to get out the door and swing my coil. Even then I only spent a couple hours at a time, piddling around. At least that was the case until this month.

A few weeks ago I decided to try it seriously. I have hunted more this month than I did during the previous 10 yrs. I have also learned much more about the hobby and my machine during this time. Still, all I was finding was clad coins and junk. I felt persistance would pay off. I had hoped to find something significant this past weekend, and gave it a solid effort, but still nothing major. Just modern coins, a decent amount though. Some new knowledge and experience seems to be the major discovery of the weekend.

Then I decided to hunt a local park for a while this afternoon. I have yet to search an area with as many buried, crushed cans. What a PITA. Another learning experience. After about an hour and much trash, I got a signal that I was pretty sure was a dime. I located the object by probing with a screwdriver, thinking " a dime sure beats another soda can". I flipped it out of the turf and thought, man, that's not even a dime....wait a minute...it's a ring! YES!!! Finally!! A RING! And only one day late.image I know it's not worth enough to retire, but I was more than a little excited.

I think I'm hooked.

Comments

• Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    looks good kokapelli1. i like the ring

gene2393
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    It is exciting to find something nice. Great job on the ring and taking the time to learn more about the "sport". I like to try to learn something new about my machine and technique every time out. image
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cans are indeed a PITA.

Can't see your pix on this server, but congratulations!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS- since you're a detectorist, and you use an Oregon Trail half as your avatar, I thought I'd show this off again. image

(Found with the midlevel Garrett, BTW, though at that shallow depth, ANY detector would have found it.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool Kokapeli1... congratulations on your 'stick-to-it-iveness'... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.

LM I can't believe you dug an Oregon Trail half, That is a super find!
  • Options
    I can imagine the odds of finding a commemorative coin is staggering! That's a heck of a find LM.
  • Options
    nice find kokapelli1 ! research is the key to finding some nice goodies...i hope you keep on making some nice finds...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    That's a great find! here's to many more image
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    My research is telling me that I am prolly gonna need a better detector. One that goes a little deeper than my current el cheapo. Even with an air test the best it seems to manage is 6 or 7". I'm thinking....green.

Our rich uncle is supposed to be mailing out stimulus checks next month......hmmm.
  • Options
    Very nice find Kokapeli1...Good to see you swinging the coil more than swinging the golf club.

This is the only hobby I can think of that will pay for itself. (Many times over sometimes) image
  • Options
    Yes, detecting is more lucrative (for me anyhow) than golf. A detectorist is not nearly as limited to location as is a golfer, either.

PLUS not once have I had to resist the temptation to throw my detector!image