Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wow, Five Catalogs From Heritage. $9+ to ship.

Just receive a box from Heritage with five Central States aution catalogs. Man, I almost feel obligated to bid on something now, even though I promised to take a break from buying to catch up on the bills. I wonder how many of these boxes they sent out at $9 a pop?

Comments

• Options
    I got one even though I asked them not to send any to me. I guess they sent me one since I have some coins in this auction.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    I only had two in my box today.
  • Options
    $9.15 for shipping 3 books. I'm sure those books arn't cheap to produce either.
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I always get their Catalogs, seems to be a couple a month minimum. They spend a lot of money on shipping and printing. Not sure if the money I spend there covers the cost of what I get in return especially since I end up recycling most of them. image
  • Options
    BubbleheadBubblehead Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭

My box was flat rate @ $9.15, and only held (2) catalogs and some
    bubble wrap! Did I get stiffed?
  • Options
    johnsim03johnsim03 Posts: 992 ✭✭
    Hi,

This is an interesting thread. I do have one question - did they use media mail for the mailing?

John
    John C. Knudsen, LM ANA 2342, LM CSNS 337
    SFC, US Army (Ret.) 1974-1994
  • Options

<< <i>Hi,

This is an interesting thread. I do have one question - did they use media mail for the mailing?

John >>

They used one of those medium-sized flat rate boxes you can get for free at the post office. It wasn't stamped or prepaid, but rather it had one of those meter stamps with $9.15 on it. Mine contained two coin catalogs and three currency catalogs.
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Haven't gotten mine yet but they usually ship in a flat rate box so one or 7 is the same price. --jerry
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Mine had three catalogs. Which am I missing?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi, This is an interesting thread. I do have one question - did they use media mail for the mailing? John >>

Always priority mail. I used media mail to mail one recently but the auction was over so there was no hurry. --Jerry
  • Options

<< <i>Mine had three catalogs. Which am I missing? >>

Probably all of the CAA catalogs.
  • Options
    I got mine today too in a box...Sheesh!
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At first I was perplexed by the pink slip in my mail box. I figured it out soon enough when I saw shipper was listed as TX 75219. For a moment I was thinking a coin I ordered on Friday had arrived super, super fast.
  • Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭
    I got three catalogs today. I am not a big spender on heritage, so I think these must have gone to many many people. Our buyer premium dollars hard at work! image
    All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received the following 3 Central States Numismatic Society (CSNS) 2008 Convention catalogs:

1) Queller Family Collection of Silver Dollars (destined to be a standard reference auction catalog)
    2) The Central States Numismatic Society (CSNS) 2008 Auction catalog
    3) CSNS Platinum Night catalog

Wow these coins are beautiful, in all 3 catalogs!! image

Thanks Steve (Ivy) and Jim (Halperin) !! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the flat rate go up? It used to be $8.65 I thought.
  • Options

<< <i>Did the flat rate go up? It used to be $8.65 I thought. >>

Yes it went up in the last rate hike.

I also just received 3 catalogs. Not sure why the OP got five. At the same time I got the latest Bowers catalog.

Both have dozens of examples I would dearly love to purchase and can't at this time. image
  • Options
    JamericonJamericon Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
    Not sure why the OP got five.

In addition to the three coin catalogs, there are two volumes of currency catalogs.

I belief Longacre made reference (in another post) to Heritage having their own printing operation. This is certainly be more cost effective than sub-contracting the production of these catalogs, and most likely makes the production and shipping costs a minor overhead expense.
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to know, what % of their gross goes into printing and postage. It's gotta be a substantial portion.

QDB purchased a printing company earlier in his career for the same reasons, but ultimately gave up on the idea.
  • Options

<< <i>It would be interesting to know, what % of their gross goes into printing and postage. It's gotta be a substantial portion.

QDB purchased a printing company earlier in his career for the same reasons, but ultimately gave up on the idea. >>

Not to mention the additional photography as the photos don't really seem to look quit like the online counterparts.
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I bid in many Heritage auctions and I am even successful from time to time.

I have sold coins in a few of the Heritage auctions also.

The only time I get a catalog is when I have coins consigned. I read here of people complaining often that they don't want the catalogs and I can't seem to get on their mailing list. image I've tried.

-------------

etexmike

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file