Home Metal Detecting
Options

which to buy detector and other must haves?

OK I am thinking of getting a Garrett ace 250 but would I be better to buy this one?

Ace 250 for $213 or Ace 250 with larger coil and accessories? for $297

Or is there a better machine for around $300 ????

Rob

I read a neat thread about the gti 2500 I think, but I do not want to invest $900

Also what other tools are a must to have? Certain kinds of digging tools?

Comments

• Options
    I don't personally own the Ace 250...but from what I hear and read, it's one heck of a machine for the money...If you can get a good deal on all the stuff, go for it. Especially if it's cheaper that way. Most of us started out on lesser costing machines, including myself. I started on the old Garrett Groundhog Coinshooter and after 13 years went to the Gti 2500..but by then I knew Md'ing was in my blood...No sense in spending $900 on a machine and it sitting in a closet.

Good luck with what ever you go for....
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depending on the terrain you hunt, you will need a digging tool, sand scoop, pinpointer, good earphones, an apron of sorts to carry your findings and junk, knee pads help and spare batteries. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I just got the ACE 250 in Febuary and I am very impressed with it. I've been out around 5 times and found a silver ring , gold ring, 1 silver coin, modern coins and all kinds of other stuff.

I have the $200 dollar one with the smaller coil. I got it for a gift so I had no choice . The bigger coil will let you cover more area, but the small one for me is fine right now.

I wanted to see if I would like the hobby first before I went spending alot of cash on accessories and a better machine.

If your doing alot of detecting in the sand I would invest in a nice scooper.

I dont have a pinpointer , but can see myself getting one in the future. The ACE 250 actually has a pinpointer built into the unit, However it is kind of awkward to use as

your shifting through the soil or sand.

A good shovel will be a good investment. The one that comes with the Garrett broke on me the first day I went out, so carry a spare if your using that one.

I also like a belly bag with a zipper to keep all your finds from dropping out. The apron that comes with the ACE 250 is not for me.

I think the hardest part about the hobby is finding places to detect and researching. Good Luck and have fun.. Take a camera and Post your finds!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use the 2500 but you do not need that much machine unless you're a diehard detector buff.

The 250 is a great starter machine for the money, from everything I have seen, or if you want an excellent midlevel Garrett, go for the 550. I did as well with a 550 than I have done with the 2500. I used the 550 (or its predecessor, the 500) for about 12 years, and most of my detecting has been done with a middle-of-the-road model. I didn't upgrade to the top of the line until relatively recently- only about two years ago. The added features of the top-tier machine are great, but I could find just as much with my old 550 as I can with my 2500.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.