Home Metal Detecting
Options

Results of my first ever hunt...

Well, I finally went out on my first hunt. My dad recently purchased a real cheap detector and I decided to test it out. I spent about 3 hours at a local ball field/playground.

First off, I should have used gloves. I mistakenly chose a small garden shovel to do the digging. It quickly left me with a huge blister in the middle of my palm. It quickly broke open and is now raw. I am truly suffering today.

Next, I had no idea how many old beer pull tabs people discarded. I must have dug about 200 of them. That damn seal inside the cap of the power aid sure bugged then hell out of me too.

Here is what I found: I found a total of about $1.50 in modern clad coinage and memorial cents. No silver. I also found a ring. It looks like gold, but there are no markings on it. There is a red stone resembling a ruby. My guess is cheap metal with a glass stone. In any event it got my heart pumping. The only other find worth noting was a copper button of some sort.

It was a blast even though I didnt find anything of much value. I am sore as hell today. I had no idea how much energy it took to walk, look, and dig.

Im hooked now. I just need a better detector so that I can identify things before wasting time on digging. Anybody have any tips on finding good spots to find silver?

Here are my finds:

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I just need a better detector so that I can identify things before wasting time on digging.

image Sorry bud, but there's always alot of trash to dig. image

Good finds, at least you didn't get skunked. A few more of those kinda outings with that "cheap detector" and you'll have it paid for.

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    In all honesty, I thing you did pretty darn well!...The glove idea is a good one, I seldom use them now, but when I first started, I kept blistered palms...Plus LM will tell you, the first time you dig into a broken bottle or knife, you'll appreciate the gloves....all in all, you diid well.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did very well for a first outing... as you become more accustomed, the aches and pains will go away. Next, you will want to upgrade your detector.. to go over the very same ground you have covered, to find all the good stuff you have missed. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Joe, you did an awesome job for your first dig!!! I strongly suggest gloves, butt hen again I manicures to be concerned with. image Also, someone here suggested a Letche (is that spelt right guys?) digger to me as well as a VibraProbe. I spent the money for both and I cannot imagine md'ing without either. Welcome to your lifelong addiction!! Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Anybody have any tips on finding good spots to find silver? >>

Probably right where you were for silver rings and such. If you mean silver coins then you need to go to a place that's old enough to support them. Parks and places that were frequented at least during the sixties ands before that time. Areas that were once populated but now are deserted fields or overgrown areas. The research part of detecting may seem boring to some but necessary if you want to find places that aren't constantly being hunted. I actually like the research and tend to do it during the Winter months when I can't hunt.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Those are pretty good for a first outing- I see why you dug so many nickels- they are very similar to pull tabs- at least on my Garrett- I've learned to/chosen to ignore digging most of the signals in that range which resulted in digging alot less pulltabs- especially in known trashy areas like parks. Get a better digging tool and keep up the good work!- PS: You can get a fairly cheap digging tool off of ebay for around $10 - someone posted a while back about this very topic- I bought the cheap tool off of ebay a couple of years ago and have been very happy with it.
  • Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    good job on your first outing, i am also kind of new to this hobby and am enjoying it so far. i have dug 3-4 $ in change alone and a few jewelry pieces.
    i hope you have a good time and enjoy what you dig

gene2393
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That was a good first time out. As far as gloves go I wear baseball batting gloves. They let your hands breathe and it sure keeps your hands clean. I would check the ring again real close. You never know.
  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421
    I would check the ring again real close. You never know.

I can tell by its weight that its not gold. Since its not gold im guessing the stone isnt a ruby.

• Options
    I had no idea how much energy it took to walk, look, and dig........

Very nice finds. Not only for the first time out but, for any time out.

I just mentioned to my wife yesterday how out of shape I was from not detecting but one time in the last five months. Trust me......At age 74, this old coot will get in shape again as soon as I get back to Colorado. I will be back there in about (12) days.....Hooray!!!!

The only tool I use to dig is a screw driver. I can dig out a circle of sod and replace it like I was not even there.