Home Metal Detecting
Options

Silver and gold

I detected at a local High School today and I got my first silver coin for the year. A 57 Rosie. I also got a girls class ring from 1989. It has her name in it so it will be going back to her. It was a good day for clad too.

Comments

• Options
    Clad, silver. class ring..Sounds like a good day to me ;-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Clad, silver. class ring..Sounds like a good day to me ;-)

Jerry >>

Agreed. A successful day of hunting and a pending good deed. Nice job!
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You hit the trifecta... cool... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I agree.....a good day in anyones book. WTG!
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I also got a girls class ring from 1989. It has her name in it so it will be going back to her. >>

Who said that detecting wasn't good for meeting women?

1989? That would put her in the mid 30's............... image
  • Options
    nice going...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Keep us posted on the "Return of the Ring". Always nice to hear a returning home story.

Here's a true story about a "Ring Return":

My Grandmother lost her diamond engagement ring about 50 years ago while she was hanging up clothes on the clothesline in the backyard. <<<Fast Forward>>> The week after my brother got his first detector in 1996 was Thanksgiving weekend and we were having lunch at Grandma's. After we ate, we struck out in her front yard to hunt for anything we could and basically figure out how to use it since we had no clue about it. The very first thing he found was a Standing Liberty Quarter next to an old in-ground birdbath. I couldn't believe it! The very first thing! After that, things kinda went downhill and the beginner's luck was over as we dug several brass fittings and bottlecaps and a modern Cent. We went inside to get something to drink and Grandma told us the story about losing her engagement ring many years before, and told us the general area of where she had lost it. So we struck out again.........About an hour later, after more junk copper stuff and pulltabs, my brother got a nice little repeating bleep about 10 feet from the end of the old clothesline (I was the designated digger since it was HIS detector, but I didn't mind). Anyway, I dug a big wide hole not very deep and it was still down in it, so I dug a little more. The next swing over the hole was silent so we knew whatever it was was in the topside dirtpile now, so we swung the coil over it and sure enough it was in there, strong signal this time. After just a couple of sweeps through it with our hands, a beautiful diamond engagement band peaked out of the dirt for the first time in about 50 years. You just can't imaging the feeling of finding such ,and the excitment that it was right there in our hands. Needless to say we about ran each other over getting back to the house to show Grandma the surprise we had for her. She cried for about an hour (and all her daughters did also) and was just stunned that it was right there in her hands again. It was a truly awesome day, one that will probably never be topped as far as MDing goes.

Sorry, I didn't mean to write this long story, but wanted to share.

Wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great story Wes.

Al
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are the kind of stories that make a metal detectorist day. A great find and a great meaningful story.
  • Options
    great story about grandma's ring being found guitarwes....i too returned a class ring that was lost 17 years before i found it...the girl could'nt believe it....good luck finding the owner of the class ring you found ppc....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    They drained the receeding lake at a local city park in order to install a new liner a few summers ago. Detectorists had a field day. I wish I had been part of it. story here
  • Options

<< <i>They drained the receeding lake at a local city park in order to install a new liner a few summers ago. Detectorists had a field day. I wish I had been part of it. story here >>

wow!...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    goossengoossen Posts: 492 ✭✭
    What a great story! image
    My coins with pictures: http://www.paraguaycoins.com/