Home PSA Set Registry Forum

Why are sets limited to the players active years?

If a person collects a certain player, and wishes to have a true MASTER SET, shouldn't any and all cards be fair game? Why only his playing years? I collect Robin Yount cards and even in the "Master Set" category, I am running out of cards to add. All I can do is upgrade. How about including all cards ever made for that player? PSA could always set "minimum" production numbers so that a "one of one" card would not be eligible. Any thoughts?
Thanks. Matt
mshups

Comments

• If they were to do what you say, I for one would stop collecting my Nolan Ryan Master set. There are over 8,000 cards of Nolan Ryan out.

• AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Basically, it's because the majority of collector's like it that way. There's nothing stopping you from requesting a player set that includes retirement cards, but I think when it got added very few would participate. BTW they already have a criterion to not include cards of which there were 5 or fewer made.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • ledstersledsters Posts: 603 ✭✭
    I agree that a "Master Set" should include every possible card. Why does it matter if there are 8000 cards. That's is part of the fun; always a new card to go after.

Ledsters
  • MorgothMorgoth Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭
    PSA has already stated that you can do this in a showcase set. I personally like not having to chase the new crap that is pumped out endlessly every year.
    Currently completing the following registry sets: Cardinal HOF's, 1961 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1972 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, 1980 Pittsburgh Pirates Team, Bill Mazeroski Master & Basic Sets, Roberto Clemente Master & Basic Sets, Willie Stargell Master & Basic Sets and Terry Bradshaw Basic Set
  • " Why does it matter if there are 8000 cards. "

That would leave alot of the master sets for those with unlimited time and money! Which would include very few. imo
    Collector of 71 Kelloggs Football and Unitas cards.
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The proliferation in the past decade plus of tribute cards would render most vintage player sets lmost meaningless if these were added.
    Imagine what it would do to the Mickey Mantle Master Set to add 536 Mantle Home Run History cards, produced over a decade after his death, and inserted in Topps sets at the rate of several per box, to it - and then add in all the other Mantle cards produced in the late 1990s to present, starting with all the 1996 reprints.

Even most obsessive player collectors are not obsessive about common post-career cards.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.