Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Are your Favorite/Least Things About Coins Shows ...

foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭
And, if you were a bourse chair, dealer, etc. (depending on who has the ability realistically make an improvement) what would you do to make your "least favorite" thing better?
Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.

Comments

• Options
    Poor lighting, has been the biggest problem.
    "This ain't Dodge City an you ain't Bill Hickock."......Matthew Quigley
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    Cranky dealers who won't let me cherrypick, is my least favorite image
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    Poor lighting, has been the biggest problem.

Please clarify. Is it the facility, the dealers table, ... What could realistically be done to make it better?
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite thing is seeing items I have never seen before... always something new. My LEAST favorite thing is people who fart in the aisles... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad, overpriced food.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

The fear of being followed after I leave a show.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Favorites

1. Being able to personally examine a broad selection of hard to find coins
    2. Guys who are honest, and treat people respectfully
    3. Shows which are set up with plenty of chairs and space to walk around

Least favorites

1. Rude dealers that aren't respectful of potential customers
    2. Dealers pushing coins that have obviously been cleaned
    3. Guys on both sides playing stupid games trying to take advantage of one another
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favorite thing: A good cherrypick.

Least favorite thing: Dealers with no customer service skills.
    You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    The same stuff in every case
    Piss poor lighting
    Show dates not accessible to the general collector who has to work for a living!
  • Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    +.....fresh material, dealers who are willing to share knowledge and experience, mutual respect when it crosses the table

-......overgraded cleaned junk, snooty boorish uppity types, travel plans at last minute because thats how I usually do it
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My least favorite thing is multiple-day shows that are too long. If the traffic is way down on the last day and many dealers have left, the show promoter should take a hint. The show is too long. Next time, the show should end a day earlier, or begin a day later.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Least favorite: I haven't been to a coin show.

fix: go to one.

Most favorite: Maybe I will go to one.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favorite:

Seeing lots of rare coins.
    Getting the adrenaline rush of bidding more than I can afford.
    Seeing old friends and making new ones.
    Playing golf, eating great steaks and drinking beer.
    Walking the floor looking for coins.
    Auction previews - learning about new series.
    Educational and PCGS exhibits.
    Meeting with like-minded collectors (club meetings, for example).

Least favorite:

The travel (airline delays, renting cars, etc).
    Bad lighting.
    Elderly assistants at lot viewing that can't get their act together or seem to find the coins you want.
    Finding a waiting list for seating at lot viewing.
    Loud, obnoxious dealers on cell phones during lot viewing.
    People that tie up chairs at lot viewing when not even in the room (prolonged periods, not brief breaks).
    Bad, overpriced food at the convention center.
    Seeing unfriendly dealers and occasionally collectors with the same tempermant.
    Overly talkative dealers or loud conversations during auction sessions.
    Seeing the same bad coins over and over again aka viewing 200 coins and not finding one worth bidding on.
    Body bags or no upgrades/crossovers.
    A bourse half filled with sports cards or stamps.
    Over priced early bird badges.
    Overpriced parking.
    Poor location or "dead" town.
    Being told, "Bid what you want, you still won't get the coin".
    Getting outbid. image
    Finding out the one coin I want is at the end of Platinum night at 2AM. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Favorites:

Getting to view the coins in person
    Large selection
    Getting to talk coins with other folks as passionate as I am

Dislikes:

Display cases full of coins with no prices...I understand the dealer may want to talk to you about a coin but honestly I want to know in advance if I even have half the money in my wallet to afford a coin so when I see no prices....I just keep walking.

Bad lighting at the dealer table is number 2 and I ran into that at the least show I went too. I could see the dealer had some coins with color but I couldn't tell if they were dogs or rainbows. Finally I asked him if he could move his light from 1 case to another and while he didn't want to unclip it he did let me open the case and take some coins out to see if they had enough color. I did end up purchasing a monster rainbow toned Frankie from him image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Least favorite---Dealers that pack up and leave by noon on Saturday of a three day show that should last through Sunday.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mozeppamozeppa Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭
    i'm a lincoln cent collector...

everywhere i go there will be 20 worn out s-vdb's about the same for 09-s's ...14-d's...

hardly anything mint state...when it is .....its the stuff from the 30's 40's and 50's

depressing.

• Options
    ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭

<< <i>i'm a lincoln cent collector...

everywhere i go there will be 20 worn out s-vdb's about the same for 09-s's ...14-d's...

hardly anything mint state...when it is .....its the stuff from the 30's 40's and 50's

depressing. >>

LOL, you too huh? I forgot that one
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy going to shows to see coins I would not normally get a chance to see. I went to a major show and had a dealer show me an aluminum coiled hair $4 Stella! I held it in my hand and the Guy said it would sell for close to $100K. Now that was awesome.

The part I just don't like is the fact that a dealer will have hundreds of coins I might be interested in, but has no prices, and when I find a coin I would like to buy, the Guy has to get a spread sheet and determine his price. He should have done that already instead of just sitting there waiting for a customer.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The gloomy, depressing locations, poor lighting and an overall feel of rot. Walking in the door of a large coin show is worse than entering the casket display at a mortician’s convention. True, the food is usually fit for the dead (or is that “undead”?), and some of the inhabitants act as if they wish you were dead when you ask to see a coin.

Go to any other hobby-type commercial show and look at how they are organized and presented – gem shows sparkle, antique shows have key lighting all over the place and carpet on the booths. Some shows have real chairs that won’t buckle under the tonnage of certain participants. Even gun shows are sometimes marginally better, although I’d prefer to have somebody point a slab at me than be looking down the barrel of a Winchester.

There are some older posts with considerable detail on show improvements – I suggest you take a look at those.
  • Options
    orieorie Posts: 998
    ++forums/club meetings and putting a face on the name. ---I'm rarely disappointed because my expectation of finding SCD's and Philippine Pesos is slim and none and Slim's long gone.
  • Options
    WTCGWTCG Posts: 8,940 ✭✭✭
    Greg, although the complete answer to your question is quite elaborate and somewhat complicated, I will very briefly list some standing dislikes when I attend coin shows (in particular order). Remember that this is an incomplete list:

1. Very narrow aisles...a crowded bourse floor is great, but nothing is more frustrating than trying to squeeze through a bourse floor that has one row of bourse tables too many.

2. Poor lighting...bad lighting is difficult to describe, but when the lights make looking at coins feel awkward then buying and selling becomes more difficult time comsuming.

3. Chronically difficult dealers...most coin dealers are fine people, but there are those few dealers who everybody knows are consistent jerks or who everybody hates and refuses to set up next to. We all know who those people are, and show organizers should attempt to dissuade those dealers from attending. Doing so would make the show a happier place for everybody else.

4. Dealers who disregard the realities of time...apparently time of day isn't a concern for some coin dealers. Unless there is a legitimate reason for doing so, it is irresponsible and lazy for a bourse dealer to casually show up to their table some time around noon. If the coin show opens at 10am, then they should show up by 10:30 at the latest. We've all seen these guys before when walking around the bourse floor at 11:30am...the one or two tables that still have their chairs and table covers over their cases.

5. Conflicting schedules with national shows...sure your local coin show is purely local, but holding it on the same week as a Long Beach, Baltimore or ANA conventions will definitely hurt business and attendance.

6. Unhealthy food selections...most coin dealers aren't the most health conscious folks out there (it's shocking how high the percentage of coin dealers over the age of 40 are diabetic) but food service at your local show should include healthier options instead of the normal offered fare of hot dogs, grease-soaked chili nachos, donuts, candy bars and sodas.

7. Antiquated facilities...a newer, modern building is always more comfortable that that 50 year old Elk's Lodge or Masonic Hall with its drab brown color scheme and aromas that wreak of old people smell. Read #8.

8. Restrooms without any running hot water...this one's one of my biggest annoyances and it's rather self explainatory. Besides, coin dealers and collectors alike aren't exactly famous for bearing high standards for hygiene.

9. Uninviting host cities...many coin club organizers are adamant about hosting their coin show in their hometown, regardless of how much of a dump the city may be. Drop the ego, swallow your pride and consider hosting your coin show in a neighboring city if that city is perceived to be safer, more hospitable or has better facilities.

10. Lack of parking...I resent having to park my car a half mile down the street because the dozen or so parking spaces are all taken up by early in the morning by the dealers with tables. It's even worse when you are a bourse dealer and you have no choice but to haul equipment a long way for several trips because all the nearby spaces and loading areas are fully occupied.

11. Lack of adequate security...hire some real cops to patrol the bourse floor. That 70-year old semi-geriatric "rent-a-cop" who's falling asleep on the job isn't going to be much of a defense in the event that the coin show comes under attack by armed assailants.

12. Rigged door prize/ raffle drawings...Most club shows have some kind of prize drawings and the majority are legitimate, but it happens much more than you'll probably think and it's absolutely dishonest to say the least.
    Follow me on Twitter @wtcgroup
    Authorized dealer for PCGS, PCGS Currency, NGC, NCS, PMG, CAC. Member of the PNG, ANA. Member dealer of CoinPlex and CCE/FACTS as "CH5"
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bad, overpriced food. >>

I see that you are improving, Tom. I hope that you are feeling as good as you are replying.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Favorite thing: A good cherrypick.

Least favorite thing: Dealers with no customer service skills. >>

Would you rather cherry pick a rude dealer or pay a fair price to one that is customer friendly?
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    Favorite Things:

Coins everywhere.
    Everyone talkin' about coins.
    Finding something you desperately want in an unexpected place.

Least Favorite Things:

Dicey security.
    Guys who spread briefcases / Graysheets / laptops all over our cases blocking the view of everyone else.
    A line of 20 people waiting at the world's slowest post office.

• Options
    Now I'm a little leary about going to my first show. Thanks guys.
    In the time of Chimpanzee's
    I was a Monkey
  • Options

<< <i>Least favorite: I haven't been to a coin show.

fix: go to one.

Most favorite: Maybe I will go to one. >>

Same here. I missed the big show in Charlotte last year due to travel.
  • Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Would you rather cherry pick a rude dealer or pay a fair price to one that is customer friendly? "

We may have to make up T-shirts with this slogan Julian
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you rather cherry pick a rude dealer or pay a fair price to one that is customer friendly?

Sorry, Julian. I'll try to buy something from you next time, though.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Anymore comments?
  • Options
    KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭
    I set up a table once a month at the Parsippany N.J. show and do it more as a hobby to talk coins and make a few bucks at the same time. Most people who go by tables are usually very quiet and I think that if you talk to them they are expecting the hard sell when in many cases dealers actually like talking coins, but there are exceptions. So when you go to a show have fun, I do

Frank

• Options
    dizzyfoxxdizzyfoxx Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭
    Most favorite thing: Thursday morning
    Least favorite thing: Sunday afternoon

image...There's always time for coin collecting. image
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    The lights usally suck and their always seem to be someone blocking the Mercury dime in all the cases.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not enough of them in podunk USA where I live.
    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    No one seems to carry any collectable bullion coins.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My least favorites are show rooms that are too small for the number of attendees, and dealers who won't put out all the coins they have available. Too many times, I have to stand around a dealer's table for an inordinate amount of time waiting for an opportunity to ask them if they have a particular coin available, only to find out that either they don't have one, or they just did not bother to bring the one they do have. image

Steve
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favorite... Plenty of new inventory, friendly dealers, FREE admission & parking, coin prices being displayed in cases, and NO crowds...

Least favorite... Poor lighting, rude people or dealers, same old junk, or coins I DON'T need, overpriced coins, cleaned junked coins, no parking, and over-crowded spaces with little room to walk around...
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Least favorite - too many *&#$! announcements on the loudspeaker....you can't have a normal conversation.....
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Favorite: Seeing Young Numismatists go to participating dealer's table for a grab bag of loot.

Least Favorite: Seeing said dealers look like they can't be bothered by YNs.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,224 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favorite things?

1. Enormous selection (at least in the case of the big national shows).
    2. Being able to admire and hold in hand pieces that I will never in my lifetime be able to afford.
    3. Meeting forum friends, and talking numismatics with people.
    4. Seeing the different reactions to my bourse attire (the Holey Coin Vest and Holey Gold Hat).

Least favorite things?

1. Crowded tables where you can't see the coins, much less get the dealer's attention.
    2. Dealers who don't even nod at you, even when their table isn't crowded.
    3. Not being able to type in a keyword to immediately search out what you're looking for, like you'd be able to online.
    4. Spending too much money. (Going hog wild in my enthusiasm, and being a much less carefu or restrained shopper than I'd otherwise be.)

One day I might cross the threshold into attending shows as a dealer instead of a buyer. Then this list is likely to change a little bit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad, overpriced food.
    Bad, Overpriced coins.image

Favorite- Finding coins that i like and can buy at a reasonable prices.

Least Favorite-Dealers not being at their tables, sometimes for hours on end.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favorites: People who understand why I want THAT coin.

Least favorite: Rows and rows of tables with nothing but Morgan crap.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    Any more ideas/comments?
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Did not read all posts but my least favorite thing is Dealers packing up on Thursday or Friday night for a 4 day show.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Same overprice lowgrade common crap-type coins

lack of collector grade XF-AU seated coins
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,482 ✭✭✭✭
    My favorite thing about coin shows is the opportunity to see in hand "before" I buy.

My least favorite thing is not enough IKE's to go through! I know they are out there just waiting for me, but I can't seem to get folks to bring them in!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Top50SetBuilderTop50SetBuilder Posts: 930 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Cranky dealers who won't let me cherrypick, is my least favorite image >>

He hit the nail on the head!
  • Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Favorite: Nice, friendly people.

Least favorite: Mean, stupid people.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file