Home Sports Talk
Options

Heather Bauduin breaks gender barrier in Indiana high school baseball; way to go Heather! Could the

EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭
Future first female MLB player?

To which I say, way to go Heather!image I mean, we've had girls play in Little League for 30 years, and I'd say it's about damn time this move was made. Who knows? Maybe she or someone else will finally break the gender barrier in MLB.
WISHLIST
Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars

Comments

• Options
    We had a girl do amazingly well in our high school ice hockey league. She was a goalie, and one of the best in the county. Her name was not Magnon. Anyway, I don't think a girl will ever make it to the MLB. I don't think a girl has ever played minor league baseball either
    at a high level, or any level at all.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Women will never play MLB, NFL, NHL.
  • Options
    oh come on Paul... a woman could easily hit better than Julio Lugo image
  • Options

<< <i>oh come on Paul... a woman could easily hit better than Julio Lugo image >>

I also bet she can stay healthier than J.D Drew!
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    i believe presently she can start at short for my orioles!!!!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    image You guys are prolly right about Lugo and Drew! image
  • Options

<< <i>We had a girl do amazingly well in our high school ice hockey league. She was a goalie, and one of the best in the county. Her name was not Magnon. Anyway, I don't think a girl will ever make it to the MLB. I don't think a girl has ever played minor league baseball either
    at a high level, or any level at all. >>

That's mainly because at the high school level (but hopefully now this will change), and I cannot believe I'm saying this in the year 2008, girls are prevented from playing baseball and instead forced to play softball. Now I want to make one thing clear; there is nothing wrong with softball, okay? But the fact is they are two different sports and I think it's sending the wrong message that baseball is a boy's sport and softball is a girl's sport. For God's sakes, this is 2008, not 1968; they're should not be any "boy's sports" or "girl's sports", they're just sports.

And I think it's just a matter of girls being able to continue playing baseball at the HS/college level. They deserve at least a fair chance; if they can succeed in Little League, I have no doubt they can at higher levels. At least for basketball boys/girls play pretty much the same sport; it's not like in the Dark Ages where girls had to play basquette (look up the Wikipedia article to see what I mean). In fact, I wouldn't be suprised at all if we see the first woman NBA player within five years.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

<< <i> In fact, I wouldn't be suprised at all if we see the first woman NBA player within five years. >>

The games too physical. Plus, girls that are 6 ft. 3 are forwards in the WNBA where as in the NBA, that's a point guard. That's just one of a few things I can think of regarding bball.

Baseball is easily the most likely sport that women will break the barrier in. It just won't happen in my lifetime.
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    <<A Women will never play MLB, NFL, NHL.>>

Really? Then who is she:

• Options

<< <i>

Really? Then who is she:
    >>

Same guy that went 4-12 with a 2B, a 3B and 2 RBIs in Boston's series win over Detroit?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Really? Then who is she:
    >>

Same guy that went 4-12 with a 2B, a 3B and 2 RBIs in Boston's series win over Detroit? >>

Hey now, I never said she couldn't hit! image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Really? Then who is she:
    >>

Same guy that went 4-12 with a 2B, a 3B and 2 RBIs in Boston's series win over Detroit? >>

Hey now, I never said she couldn't hit! image >>

Ahh, very true. And thanks for taking my comment for what it was.... a joke.
  • Options
    <<Ahh, very true. And thanks for taking my comment for what it was.... a joke. >>

As was my original post about Manny. I actually rather like the guy, although I'm slowly tiring of the Red Sox . . .
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>That's mainly because at the high school level (but hopefully now this will change), and I cannot believe I'm saying this in the year 2008, girls are prevented from playing baseball and instead forced to play softball. Now I want to make one thing clear; there is nothing wrong with softball, okay? But the fact is they are two different sports and I think it's sending the wrong message that baseball is a boy's sport and softball is a girl's sport. For God's sakes, this is 2008, not 1968; they're should not be any "boy's sports" or "girl's sports", they're just sports.

And I think it's just a matter of girls being able to continue playing baseball at the HS/college level. They deserve at least a fair chance; if they can succeed in Little League, I have no doubt they can at higher levels. At least for basketball boys/girls play pretty much the same sport; it's not like in the Dark Ages where girls had to play basquette (look up the Wikipedia article to see what I mean). In fact, I wouldn't be suprised at all if we see the first woman NBA player within five years. >>

I kind of agree that it should be just sports and not boys/girls sports. But it is a slippery slope. We want to feel progressive so we let girls play with the boys. They deserve a shot to play, right? However, when the tables are turned, like they were for my junior high school, they won't let boys play on the girls teams. My school didn't have a boys volleyball team because if they did there would be more boys team sports than girls and that's not allowed. So girls got to try out for football, baseball, and even wrestling. If they were good enough, they made the team. Boys weren't allowed, however, to even try out for the girl's volleyball team. It's a hypocritical system.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was once dating a girl for awhile and we decided to play some tennis. She was a good athlete and she beat me, but I never dated her again!!!
  • Options

<< <i>I was once dating a girl for awhile and we decided to play some tennis. She was a good athlete and she beat me, but I never dated her again!!! >>

Thats understandable Steve, BUT I assume she didnt look like this though- right? image

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭
    a female NBA player within 5 years ? yea right!
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>

I kind of agree that it should be just sports and not boys/girls sports. But it is a slippery slope. We want to feel progressive so we let girls play with the boys. They deserve a shot to play, right? However, when the tables are turned, like they were for my junior high school, they won't let boys play on the girls teams. My school didn't have a boys volleyball team because if they did there would be more boys team sports than girls and that's not allowed. So girls got to try out for football, baseball, and even wrestling. If they were good enough, they made the team. Boys weren't allowed, however, to even try out for the girl's volleyball team. It's a hypocritical system. >>

I agree, that's just as wrong too. Volleyball is also not a "girl's sport", it's a sport and things like this only reinforce old gender stereotypes that should've been done away with at least a couple generations ago.
    WISHLIST
  • Options
    rajah424rajah424 Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Every year there is a oldtimer/alumni game played in St. Pete at the conclusion of spring training with ex-players including several HOFer's. In 2002 i was working in the area and went to the game. Bob Feller actually pitched the first inning. It was a very laid back game with no body throwing too hard or taking it too serious. In about the fourth inning Darrell Evans led off, there was a local girl who was on the U.S. Olympic softball team and was somewhat famous locally. She preceded to pitch full speed with a softball windup and struck out Evans on 3 pitches. The first pitch the crowd was amused but by the 3rd pitch it was kinda of embarrassing. Evans had been out of the game for a while but took it rather good naturally. Seemed rather classless to a lot of the people around me. Well the next inning she came to bat, the other team brought Bobby Thigpen in to pitch, he was 40 yr. old at the time. He blew the first pitch by her at about 90 mph. The second pitch she bailed on. I don't think she ever set her feet in the batters box for the third pitch. She was a active member of the U.S. Olympic team and she didn't stand a chance against a big league pitcher. I don't see any woman doing it anytime soon.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I was once dating a girl for awhile and we decided to play some tennis. She was a good athlete and she beat me, but I never dated her again!!! >>

Thats understandable Steve, BUT I assume she didnt look like this though- right? image

image >>

Exactly! LOL
  • Options

<< <i>Future first female MLB player?[/L]

The chances of going from high school baseball to MLB for boys is still around one in several thousand, so it is pretty doubtful

In any sport that puts a high premium on strength, power or size, women will never be able to compete at the highest levels. Drugs could change that

Most every other type of sport has seen some females at least come close, if not equal males

High school level should be about instruction well before competition. Integration should be encouraged
    Tom