Home Metal Detecting
Options

Trash & Treasure

The weather was finally nice enough to get out and do some detecting. My son and I headed out on Sat. afternoon for a couple
hours. We went to a spot I scouted out during the winter months. As we where walking to our new spot it dawned on me
I forgot the camera. So I apologize for not having any action shots on Saturdays outing. So Let me start with todays (Sun.) venture.

I found an old fire ring. within about 10 feet of the ring I found an old harmonica and bottle opener. Seems fitting.

Here is a view of the creek below. Still pretty cold!

After about 4 hours today. This is what we found. If anyone collects bottles let me know.

The old license plate is 1929

Ok now for Saturdays find I found a 1889 Seated liberty dime. Funny thing with this find is
it was registering in the $1 range. so I was expecting it to be a large object. But when it popped
out of the hole all I could see was a small amount of the rim of the coin. I couldnt wait to get home to
see what it was. Rinsed the mud off under water and there it was my very first seated.
I was actually disapointed today. I thought for sure I'd find another oldie.
I did find a 1969 lincoln though.

Comments

• Options
    nice finds...nice pics!....like them seateds...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice dime.... looks like it was a busy weekend... beats sitting at home. Cheers, RickO
  • Options

Congrats on the first seated Davbec! image

Is this now your oldest coin?

(also, what's your son's oldest coin, and what was his reaction to this one?
    ...I seem to remember you two found a "barber patch" last year image )
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭

Yes the seated makes for my oldest coin. He held the record last year with his V nickel 1890. When I found it
    he was taking a break then his interest was sparked again. Kinda like when ya take a kid fishin and nothing
    is biting. Then someone catches one and he puts his line back in the water.
    It never crossed my mind that it could be a seated liberty. I thought I had another barber. It is definetly a great
    start to the season.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes the seated makes for my oldest coin. He held the record last year with his V nickel 1890. When I found it
    he was taking a break then his interest was sparked again. Kinda like when ya take a kid fishin and nothing
    is biting. Then someone catches one and he puts his line back in the water.
    It never crossed my mind that it could be a seated liberty. I thought I had another barber. It is definetly a great
    start to the season. >>

That's awesome... and fun to think of the excitement you guys must have had out there!

Congrats again image (you have my vote for best coin find in March!)
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Fabulous find on the 1889 seated dime! I have never plucked one from the ground myself and are therefore jealous! image Just a thought on the "dollar" range signal that you received. Did you recheck the hole after retrieving the seated dime? I'm not trying to second guess you but if I found a nice dime like that I may just forget to do that. Anyway, great find David. Looks like you had a good time.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."