Home Metal Detecting
Options

Here's a pretty dug Seated dime...

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
Came out nice in the original pix, too, but I crunched the filesize down and now the image is grainy. Oh, well.

You gotta admit it's a beauty for a dug one.

No, I didn't find it personally, but I bought it from the relic hunter who did. He dug it several years ago at the site of one of the biggest antebellum rice plantations in the area, along the Butler River here. I once had an opportunity to hunt the same site, and was all keyed up because somebody else had recently found a Seated half.

All I got for my troubles there was the worst case of chiggers ever. (Redbugs). My lower legs still carry the scars, some three or four years later.

Sure, that's probably secondary toning on the coin, as it was likely to have been cleaned after it was found. That's just the way it is with detector finds. But I have noticed many of the coins I dug and subsequently cleaned ten or twelve years ago have picked up some nice secondary toning in my album. That's probably what happened here. While the toning isn't exactly "original", you couldn't quite call it "artificial", either, I suppose, since it happened naturally over time. Whatever the case, it's a nice look.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments