Home Metal Detecting
Options

victorian button 3-28-08

hit a lot with riccar today. got this cool enamled button, also japanese coin, wheatie, thimble.

Comments

• Options
    Cool button! What year is the wheatie and are those old thimbles Silver?
  • Options
    the cent is a very common 1956. some thimbles were made of silver and gold. this one is copper i think. many thimbles also have advertisements on them. i get one at almost every old home site i've been to. this particular site, i've found 2.
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    That is an interesting button. Wonder what the Japanese coin was doing there.
  • Options
    Cool button Demo...Are you able to date the Jap coin?
  • Options

<< <i>Cool button Demo...Are you able to date the Jap coin?
    >>

The Japenese coin looks like a 5 Yen. If i'm reading it right i think it is year 9 which makes it 1997. composition is brass.
  • Options
    neat button...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks more late-Victorian to me, or even Edwardian, up into the early 20th century. Neat button.

I could swear your Japanese 5-yen piece says Year 9 of the emperor Akihito, which would be 1997, but that's much more modern than I expected (and dating Japanese coins gives me a headache in the top of my skull).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds.... you certainly get a wide variety of things... Cheers, RickO