Home Metal Detecting
Options

OK good detector that I can use in wet areas?

I am thinking of getting a detector, but I may be using it around alot of wet areas, creeks, and beaches.

Are they all the same, or are there models that are better for wet areas.

Any links as to where to buy would be appreciated also.

Rob

Comments

• Options
    While I don't use this particular model......here is a link and a field test on it.......

Garrett Infinium

Garrett Infinium Field Test
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to www.kellyco.com They have all sorts of detectors and you can call for excellent advice. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most modern detectors have submersible coils, meaning that the coil is waterproof. A unit with a submersible control box, however, is a different matter. Most models with a "waterproof" coil are NOT fully submersible like an underwater detector. They're fine for dewy grass or shallow puddles and stuff like that, though. (You could even put a plastic bag around the coil for added water protection). Standard detectors are mostly water-resistant- I can use my Garrett in light mist or drizzle without too much concern, though if I were to hunt in full rain, I would probably choose to bag the control box.

For beach, surf, and underwater hunting, though, you might want a true fully-submersible "underwater" unit, like divers use. I used to use the Fisher 1280-X Aquanaut and it was great, if a bit bulky for dry land use. I did manage to find my oldest coin (a 1658 Spanish 4-maravedis) on a dry land site with it. Being an underwater machine, it lacked some features like a target ID meter and other fancy bells and whistles, but it worked great as a relic hunting machine on inland sites. I ended up using it on land as much as I did on the beach. After finding a couple of nice rings with it on the beach, I got a bit bored with beachcombing and went back to inland hunting for older stuff. A lot of these relic sites were along riverbanks, though.

Back to using a standard machine in shallow water- since the coil is waterproof, even if the main box on these is not, you could use one as long as you're not going into deeper water. However, you can't drop the machine or set it down if you're out wading in a creek or something like that! Theoretically, you could probably hunt in water that's up to about knee deep with a standard machine, as long as the control box stayed dry, but I wouldn't recommend going into water much deeper than your average puddle with a regular detector.

Another problem you may encounter is coil buoyancy- since the coil is sealed and full of air, it floats, and you have to force it down into the water. I haven't done much puddle hunting, but one solution to the coil buoyancy might be to bag your coil for added protection, and add some nonmetallic weights like rocks or a half a brick or something to the bag.

Of course if you get a fully-submersible underwater detector (which will mean sacrificing some bells and whistles like fancy LCD displays), you won't have to worry about it- you could set the detector down in the creek, or carry it in the rain, or go diving in the lake or the ocean, whatever. I think they're good down to about 200 feet or so.

The Fisher 1280-X I used (and, I suspect, all other underwater machines) had hardwired headphones directly attached to it, and no external speaker. In other words, it was headphones-only operation. This proved uncomfortable in the steamy Southern summers here, but was not a big issue. Many folks prefer to hunt with headphones anyway. I personally prefer to go without headphones in the summertime, but most people will tell you it is better to use them. If you get an underwater detector, you don't have a choice- it's headphones or nothing, though the underwater machine I used also had a red flashing light to indicate signals.

An underwater detector can be used just fine on dry land, but would perhaps be better for relic hunting applications in less-trashy areas, since coinshooters often like LCD displays and other features which just aren't practical or possible on a submersible unit. The underwater machines DO offer discrimination, however, so you don't really need a meter. I have seen some submersibles with rudimentary meters, now, so maybe one day there will be a "go anywhere" detector with all the features you'd want, at a price that won't break the bank.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
    • Options
      holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
      Thanks lordmarcovan I appreciate the detailed answer.

I just want a machine that if it gets a little wet, or if I go near the creek's edge or the water's edge on a beach it would be ok. While I would love to go diving and searching for treasure, I don't have those options nearby.

Thanks again, rob
    • Options
      baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
      I got myself the Infinium. I am not going to go diving with it, but don't forget, water is water. The cool thing with the Infinium is that it is relatively easy to use (so they say, I still haven't used mine because the ground is still frozen, and has a few inches of ice over everything).

Keep us posted what your going to get!
      Jeff