Home Metal Detecting
Options

March 21st and 22nd finds.

I went by the city park yesterday for a few hours after dropping off my daughter. This is the same park that I hunted in the VTH. That park is still yielding deeper finds. Although, the finds are becoming thin. There is a troop of guys that have been working the local parks full time. Probably has something to do with the price of gold and silver going up. Funny thing is I personally know most of the guys. About all that can be found in the main part of the park is recent drops. The Poppy Festival will be coming soon so it will be reloaded - at least for a while.

I didn't find too much in coinage, but over in the area less traveled I did dig a small 10K ring. It's somewhat like a signet ring, but the face is the shape of a horseshoe and horse's head. I'm guessing it's about 3 grams.

Today I got up early and hit the soccer park for two hours before it became crowded. There was a large amount of modern coinage to be had. I came home with $7 give or take. I was somewhat taken aback by a hit that I thought was going to be a larger silver ring. When I dug it, it was a bicentennial Ike. It was down about 2 inches and rusted up like a clad quarter that had been in the ground for 5 or so years. Finding that Ike was humorous because of the number of times I'd been over the ground where it was. Just shows no place is ever picked clean. I capped off the weekend's hunt by finding two sterling rings. One was buried quite deep (4-5 inches) and the other was a surface find.

Here's the pictures. The Ike came out very clean after a little salt and vinegar (yummy on chips), but it needs to rattle around my pocket for awhile because now it's looks like play money.

Thanks for looking.

imageimage

G-daddy

Edited for the correct dates. Geez.
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    Nice bling G-daddy. image

I like the "pizza display table" too!

• Options
    Round Table buddy!
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I like Ike !!!

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    KarbKarb Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Nice finds! Gotta love gold.
    Robert

Hoarding silver and collecting history
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Sweet! Nice finds! image
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    sounds like a pretty good outing.
  • Options
    DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭
    I dug a '76 Ike years ago. Its my only "large" dollar find and has been my pocket piece since.
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791
    Hey Gary, is the "Soccer park" the big soccer complex out on L and 30th East or the one at Pelona Vista?

Nice find BTW, looks like some kids is missing a class ring eh?
  • Options

<< <i> Hey Gary, is the "Soccer park" the big soccer complex out on L and 30th East or the one at Pelona Vista? >>

No Danny, it's neither one. It's the soccer complex out near Littlerock. I can't think of the name of it now. It used to be called Pearland Park. I hunted the big complex over by the 14. The "trash" factor was too high for me.

<< <i>Nice find BTW, looks like some kids is missing a class ring eh? >>

That ring obviously was the surface find. It has "2008" on it, but it's not a traditional class ring. No school name - just 2008. Plus it's silver not gold.

G Man
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Gary,
    Three rings in two days, not bad!! I learned something new from your post about vinagar & salt being used for coin cleaning. Does that work all coins? By the way, I'll pass dipping my chips in that solution...yuck! lol
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    Mary,
    I normally don't use the salt and vinegar trick on coins. Most of the time I actually just soak a load them overnight in an old fruit jar with hot water and dishwasher powder. It gets the dirt and other gunk off and makes them such that I can drop them in the local Coinstar machine. They don't turn out shiny though. That is what I do to clad coinage and post 1958 Lincolns.

Yes, the salt and vinegar trick work on all coins. I only use the salt and vinegar trick occasionally and then it is NEVER on rare or true silver coins. But, if you want to try it, separate your pennies from the clads and nickels. Put the clads and nickels in a jar and pour about a teaspoon of salt in with enough vinegar to just cover the coins. This is assuming you're cleaning a large number of coins. Seal it up and do the "Macarena" until you can see the coins have turned a slate colored grey. Drain and rinse. It you like you can do the pennies the same way. The reason you want to separate the clads from the pennies is because the clads and nickels will turn pink if they are mixed with the pennies.

The Ike was cleaned with a little vinegar and some salt sprinkled on a rag.

You don't like salt and vinegar tater chips? Oh my! Have you tried it? I don't go to LJS very often, but when I do I even sprinkle a little malt vinegar and salt on the fries. Good stuff! The salt may not be good for BP, but the vinegar is good for lowering cholesterol.

Later...
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    i like them bi centennials....nice rings too....wtg bf...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

<< <i>

<< <i> Hey Gary, is the "Soccer park" the big soccer complex out on L and 30th East or the one at Pelona Vista? >>

No Danny, it's neither one. It's the soccer complex out near Littlerock. I can't think of the name of it now. It used to be called Pearland Park. I hunted the big complex over by the 14. The "trash" factor was too high for me.

<< <i>Nice find BTW, looks like some kids is missing a class ring eh? >>

That ring obviously was the surface find. It has "2008" on it, but it's not a traditional class ring. No school name - just 2008. Plus it's silver not gold.
    G Man >>

I've thought about hitting the huge soccer complex out on L and 30th east several times. I'm sure there is a bunch of stuff waiting to be had out there given the number of AYSO all-star and playoff games held there. I've been out there with my kids and there have been literally several thousand people out there.

Did you know there was once a water-ski lake out here in the desert? I know where the old site is and was curious what finds might be awaiting there. The lake was drained and abandoned when the 14 fwy was built however long ago that was.
  • Options
    Danny, PM sent.
    imageimageimage