Home Metal Detecting
Options

I got to detect on a million dollar private property today!

kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
Too bad a million dollars only buys an average sized 1950s style house in Santa Clara. If you look at the second pic, you can see why it was a million! I've never seen a yard that large in my area before. There's enough room for two houses there!

I visited there with the permission of my tall physicist friend, who was only barely geeky enough to actually watch me sweep his yard. Worst moment? When he found more coins just eyeballing his yard than I did with my detector! Best moment? Spending ten minutes digging a hole and finding my first wheat!

The first pic is it "out of the ground", the second one was after a quick vinegar bath. All in all, it was as exciting as it's gotten for me metal detecting. I'm still totally into it. image My friend and I had fun wondering who dropped the cent. We decided the cent represented the week's allowance of a kid who cried himself to sleep the night he lost it.
"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

Comments

• Options
    Must be nice to hunt in the west...you can bet most of the coins you find are going to have an "S" mint mark...Pretty cool!
  • Options
    aahh the first wheat cent. pretty cool. a yard that big should have more than that. santa clara has some very old areas/homes. i dug my first morgan dollar in santa clara. it was an empty lot on the alameda across from the jack in the box. you might want to look for any dirt parking strips in that area.
  • Options
    Congrats on your first wheatie! Breakfast of champions...

G.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>aahh the first wheat cent. pretty cool. a yard that big should have more than that. santa clara has some very old areas/homes. i dug my first morgan dollar in santa clara. it was an empty lot on the alameda across from the jack in the box. you might want to look for any dirt parking strips in that area. >>

I'm sure there's more, I only dig two holes-- one had a washer, the other had the wheat cent. I'll probably go back in the evening when it's cooler-- the sun today was scorching!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good finds .... now get the deep stuff... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where there's Wheat (cents), there's often silver!

WTG!

PS- get permission in one of those old Victorian yards sometime. That'll make a believer outta you!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.