Home Metal Detecting
Options

some older finds

well ,it was a clear moonlight evening here in italy , so i went out to some land i have around 5 mins drive from where i live and found this lot,couple of religous items (being a catholic country they really are common finds) a small thimble,some woman mending a french soldiers uniform,and pressed metal plaque looks to have one of those eastern crosses on it?.........and 3 small roman coins, 2 are broken but im not complaining,not made any id yet .........well hope you enjoy my latest effort..

Comments

• Options
    and the other side
  • Options
    It has to be totally cool to hunt over there....almost any signal could be a bonanza....Congrats on the fantastic finds!
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>It has to be totally cool to hunt over there....almost any signal could be a bonanza....Congrats on the fantastic finds! >>

This is very true. I also hang out at a Minelab forum where most of the hunters are European and the stuff they find is amazingly old. I'm almost too embarrassed to post anything that I find, but then I realize that it's all relative. If they were here, they'd be finding what we are and we there, we'd be finding what they are. Man, that was hard to type. In any case, I'd love to get a chance to detect in Europe some time. Incidently, very nice finds dfxman and keep posting them as you get them!
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    thanks millenium,yea its good,its why ive stayed here, but dont think everywhere u put your md u pull something good up , research thats the key to succesfull detecting....any way its 1.30 am here and im gone.image and crispy...

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even in those pictures, I can clearly read the name of the emperor Probus (276-282 AD) on one of your Roman coins.

I have a growing collection of Roman coins, but of course on this side of the world, we cannot just go out and dig them up- that must be a thrill.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>thanks millenium,yea its good,its why ive stayed here, but dont think everywhere u put your md u pull something good up , research thats the key to succesfull detecting....any way its 1.30 am here and im gone.image and crispy... >>

I agree that research is an absolute necessity and invaluable tool in successful hunting. Please don't misunderstand what I was trying to say. I certainly wasn't trying to diminish your accomplishment in any way. The fact is you can't find 800 or 1000 year old relics and coins where they don't exist in the first place (America) unless we're talking about Native American artifacts of which few are made of metal. The age of finds differ even within certain parts of our country. I'd love to find coppers from the 1600's like some of our friends in the Eastern United States but it isn't going to happen unless I'm physically there (of which I am not) and then research would have to be conducted to even have a chance. Once again, thanks for posting your finds as I do enjoy seeing them. image
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    nice! very nice...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    well spotted ,ive not even been able to take a good look yet myself,its strange how the condition varies from coin to coin, even from the same ground, had a look at your rcoin collection ,got a great selection,if i find anything on your wanted list .will let u know

forgot to hit the quote button.........lordmarcovan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>thanks millenium,yea its good,its why ive stayed here, but dont think everywhere u put your md u pull something good up , research thats the key to succesfull detecting....any way its 1.30 am here and im gone.image and crispy... >>

I agree that research is an absolute necessity and invaluable tool in successful hunting. Please don't misunderstand what I was trying to say. I certainly wasn't trying to diminish your accomplishment in any way. The fact is you can't find 800 or 1000 year old relics and coins where they don't exist in the first place (America) unless we're talking about Native American artifacts of which few are made of metal. The age of finds differ even within certain parts of our country. I'd love to find coppers from the 1600's like some of our friends in the Eastern United States but it isn't going to happen unless I'm physically there (of which I am not) and then research would have to be conducted to even have a chance. Once again, thanks for posting your finds as I do enjoy seeing them. image >>

thats right, go where people go and u find things, be they modern or old..........even if you dont get to much it gets u out of the house,i like that has well!.........
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome.... congratulations... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    DFXman,

Those are some amazing finds you have there. I was able to hunt for about my last 7 months while I was stationed in the UK. I loved detecting over there and I would go back in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

Scott
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>DFXman,

Those are some amazing finds you have there. I was able to hunt for about my last 7 months while I was stationed in the UK. I loved detecting over there and I would go back in a heartbeat if I had the chance.

Scott[/q

thanks scott,where was u stationed
  • Options
    I was at Mildenhall, UK from 1999-2006. I didn't get a detector until I was about 7 months from PCS'ing. I kick myself for not getting one as soon as I first got there, but the thought never occured to me. I would see folks out in the fields all the time and I never thought about getting one until my wife suggested we should get one. (We weren't married until we were about 2 years from leaving over there) I sure do wish we would have been married as soon as I got there--it was her idea we get a detector image
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    mildenhall sounds like suffolk ? so i take it u are airforce.i was raised in high wycombe ,home of bomber command, found a 1938 jefferson war nickle in the woods there.