Home U.S. Coin Forum

1880 Morgan Dollar- Guess the grade and VAM!

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
1880 Morgan Dollar

I sure can't!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    Darn it....I left my telescope at home this morning.....
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭✭✭
    End the madness now with a "Buy It Now". image
    Many happy BST transactions
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VAM-23..........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • I was given this coin. Why did someone stamp it and what does this stamp mean?

• I was given this coin can someone tell me what this stamp is why it was done to this coin?

• CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's neat. In have no clue what the countertamp means but I wonder if it's the ANA

The more you VAM..
  • DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's interesting. I'd bet the ANA (our ANA) had nothing to do with defacing any coin but it would be cool to learn more.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool counterstamp!

I have to admit I was a bit surprised to see this thread. I don't remember posting it- then again it was 9 years ago...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original link is dead... so not sure what that was about.... the counterstamped Morgan is interesting... I would not think our ANA would do that.... but perhaps years and years ago, they did it as a promotional piece...Cheers, RickO

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    The original link is dead... so not sure what that was about.... the counterstamped Morgan is interesting... I would not think our ANA would do that.... but perhaps years and years ago, they did it as a promotional piece...Cheers, RickO

My guess is the seller had a satellite photo of the coin.

• Thanks I was kinda thinking that it was a promotional give away and maybe that's why he had no problem giving it to me free.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are collectors who seek out counter stamped coins... so if you are planning on selling it... try the BST here... Otherwise, it is a nice old Morgan and an interesting conversation piece. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file