Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Hey Merc guys (and gals)

WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I was toying with the idea of just starting (i.e., do the search and set up the format for the first list only) a weekly mercury dime list of those scarce mercury dimes just to show you how nice we MPL collectors are. When I did a search of 1916 D dimes, the dang list on Ebay has like 20 coins alone. So I guess they are like 1909 svdb, they are everywhere. So here is my question. What is the scarcest mercury dime everyone has trouble finding and would such a list do collectors any good or would it be a waste of everyone’s time.

WS
Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1945 with FB's!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    36 to 42 cameo's surely aren't high in availibilty
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    I have to agree with Paul on this one.
    1945 FB is a tough one.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    17-D
    18-D&S
    19-D&S
    20-S
    21-P&D
    23-S
    24-D&S
    25-D&S
    26-S
    27-D&S
    28-D
    30-S
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>17-D
    18-D&S
    19-D&S
    20-S
    21-P&D
    23-S
    24-D&S
    25-D&S
    26-S
    27-D&S
    28-D
    30-S >>

image Why don't you just list all 80 or so Mercs! image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    I also agree with Paul...45 FB. But a 44-P in 67 is tough, too.
    "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore"

My Registry Sets
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you now the list is not doable because it is either so special a coin, or too many.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I can tell you now the list is not doable because it is either so special a coin, or too many.

WS >>

True with this series. Dimemans list with the exception of the 17's and 18's is pretty much spot on whether you are looking for non band or full band coins. Outside of the major auctions those dates with appeal do not come up very often and if they do usually a hefty price is attached.

Ken
  • Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    <<I also agree with Paul...45 FB. But a 44-P in 67 is tough, too. >>

Yes, I have found the 44P67FB to be very tough. I have only seen 1 up for auction in several years (I missed out on it image ) I hope to get one someday.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It drives me crazy to see the 45-P listed with the true rare Mercs.
    The bands on a 45-P (made by the billions) make a $10.00 coin a 10 20 30 or whatever Thousand dollar coin.

I have the Larry Sharpiro coin which is a 67 with better hair detail than any FB coin, which I paid around $120. I'll take the other $47,500 and spend it on some REAL rare coins.imageimage
  • Options

<< <i><<I also agree with Paul...45 FB. But a 44-P in 67 is tough, too. >>

Yes, I have found the 44P67FB to be very tough. I have only seen 1 up for auction in several years (I missed out on it image ) I hope to get one someday. >>

I agree with both of you. Auction prices these days are a minimum of $1,200 on the 44-P - if you can find one. I have not seen many offered since the last one on Heritage about a year ago. I for one am balking at paying $6,000 plus for a 45-P in 64 FB.

Mark
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    not one here addresses pcgs mercury cameo's as being tuff???...oh well
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    QBertQBert Posts: 311 ✭✭✭
    <<not one here addresses pcgs mercury cameo's as being tuff???...oh well >>

From the ones I have seen, I am not convinced that a true cameo really exists.