Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coming in 2009.... Ultra High Relief Bullion Coin!

Interesting read now at Coin World Online.... talk of a 2009 dated gold Ultra High Relief $50 that could switch to a palladium composition in 2010, making it a one year type.
Personally, I think the gold version would be the most popular modern era coin ever sold by the U.S. Mint in terms of appeal and popularity if they do not cap production. Your thoughts?

John

John Maben
Pegasus Coin and Jewelry (Brick and Mortar)
ANA LM, PNG, APMD, FUN, Etc
800-381-2646

Comments

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't they want to do a 1/2 ounce gold Ultra High Relief?

I may be completely wrong, and I actually hope that I am wrong.
    It would be great to see a full 1 ounce coin.

Stefanie
  • Yes, and it might put the kibosh on the ridiculous prices of high relief Saints ( or maybe not ).
    I'd rather be lucky than good.
  • I think that it is a wonderful idea, I have been saying for a while we need to revive some of the classic designs.
    Greg Cohen

Senior Numismatist

Legend Rare Coin Auctions

• << <i>I think that it is a wonderful idea, I have been saying for a while we need to revive some of the classic designs. >>

• I'll be there with bells on!! My favorite coin. Don't own a 1907, but can own a 2009!
    SEE the BULL!! BUY the BULL!! BE the BULL!! Do your homework first. And, you will learn alot!!
  • I think I would buy one if they look like the originals.

Jared
  • RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait for the coin.

HOWEVER, having seen the original finest known at the Balto. show, I wish that they would just reproduce it exactly (except of course the date) and leave it at that. The "In G-d We Trust" was left off of the original by Augustis St. Gaudens for aesthetic reasons, for good reason I think. I also would rather see the double eagle size planchet. That said, I CAN'T WAIT for the coin in '09. Wish I had $4.3M for the one in Balto. (at least I got to hold if for a few minutes!).
    Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Any design outlines yet?
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Is "bullion coin" a contradiction in terms?
  • BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,960 ✭✭✭
    I am really, really, really looking forward to this. image
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804

<< <i>Is "bullion coin" a contradiction in terms? >>

Stupid age old argument. Did you just wake up or just trying to start trouble?

• Would this replace the Buff? or In addition to the Buffalo's, now?

I thought the statute allowed the Buff to be replaced after 2-3 years?

I have to admit, this would be a home run.
  • aficionadoaficionado Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Didn't they want to do a 1/2 ounce gold Ultra High Relief?

Stefanie >>

The way I read it, it will be 1 oz, but the diameter will be that of a 1/2 oz. It will be very thick.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    High relief, 1 0z. .9999 pure gold on a 27mm planchet. Per CoinWorld. Cheers, RickO

• << <i>Sounds cool! I'd like one. image >>

So would I
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I have always thought that it would be neat to see designs, changing yearly, of ASEs in classic US coin designs.
    Imagine the SLQ, well struck, on this large palette, or the Seated Liberty, or Capped Bust. Or maybe pattern coins.

I love the WL design, but after 22 years it is getting a little "long in the tooth" to me.

This would also create competition with the Australian and Chinese bullion that has annual design changes.

Thoughts?

Regards,

John
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have always thought that it would be neat to see designs, changing yearly, of ASEs in classic US coin designs.
    Imagine the SLQ, well struck, on this large palette, or the Seated Liberty, or Capped Bust. Or maybe pattern coins. >>

It would create some nice toners as well.

<< <i>Would this replace the Buff? or In addition to the Buffalo's, now?

I thought the statute allowed the Buff to be replaced after 2-3 years?

I have to admit, this would be a home run. >>

This is in addition to the Buff, I believe it is a 1 year deal. Because of the complexity and double thickness it will only be 1 ounce, no fractional denominations.

The Buffalo coins were eligible to change designs after the first year. Now the fractional denominations will be available I am hoping they change the design starting next year.
  • GrivGriv Posts: 2,804
    I am looking forward to this but it is amazing how much gold, silver and platinum the Mint is throwing at us. I think the Spouse series will end up being very rare since no one can put up with that one till the end. This one will be a very popular coin in my opinion. image

Stefanie >>

I think it was that it would be the diameter of the half ounce but it is twice as thick so it is 1 ounce.
  • sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Is "bullion coin" a contradiction in terms? >>

Stupid age old argument. Did you just wake up or just trying to start trouble? >>

I'm sorry you couldn't answer the question, Griv.

Is bullion considered a sort of NCLT or is it a different category altogether?
  • eCoinquesteCoinquest Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭
    I hope they look like the originals and don't tweek the design some way.
    If they are close to the originals and don't have a crappy finish like a SF or something, then I will have to buy a few.... Maybe 1 or 2 or 10.image
  • jsfjsf Posts: 1,889

I just found this notice. I'm jealous of you lucky dogs who get to see this exhibit!

link to US Mint website
  • I have gold fever!!! I want this.
    Firefox, Sabayon Linux and Open Source ALL THE WAY!
  • INXSINXS Posts: 1,202
    I am in for 3, one for me and one for each of the grandsons.image I wonder how PCGS will holder these?
    "Well here's another nice mess you have gotten me into" Oliver Hardy 1930

BST successful dealings with:MsMorrisine, goldman86
  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think that it is a wonderful idea, I have been saying for a while we need to revive some of the classic designs. >>

That's all the Mint has been doing lately.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is "bullion coin" a contradiction in terms?

No, why would it be?

Is bullion considered a sort of NCLT or is it a different category altogether?

Same category as "classic gold" Double Eagles. You can spend one for face value any time you want.

I agree with Griv. Try another tack.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    All I know is this is one of the few mint bullion products I am really interested in. I don't care if they make so many it's only worth bullion, it's an affordable way to own the classic design. image
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    And if they come out with fractional buffalos this year, this poses a small financial dilemma, as I had not budgeted for that (which I must have).

State quarters... Pres dollars... Gold buffalos... Gold spouses... Special pennies... Special nickels... Now this St. Gaudens reproduction.

Is it my imagination, or is the US mint far more active at this point in history than at any other?

• veryfineveryfine Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope they look like the originals and don't tweek the design some way.
    If they are close to the originals and don't have a crappy finish like a SF or something, then I will have to buy a few.... Maybe 1 or 2 or 10.image >>

This is an important point for me.
    If the mint dares to "improve" the great original design, I will not buy it.
    They may take the usual artistically clumsy approach by sharpening features, adding more drapery detail, etc. They may completely screw up Liberty's face by refining or "feminizing" the original sculptural features; maybe a little pixie nose and a delicate little chin. How about slimming her down like the current gold eagle rendition?
    Again, I would have no interest.

<< <i>

Stefanie >>

I think it was that it would be the diameter of the half ounce but it is twice as thick so it is 1 ounce. >>

It's the diameter of the 1/4 oz coin, not a half ounce.

• mojoriznmojorizn Posts: 1,380
    I've already begun putting back the funds for a few of these. It will be interesting to see the strike characteristics of the double thickness planchet. Be on the lookout for some interesting varieties, depending on the die life and mintage.

Mojo
    "I am the wilderness that is lost in man."
    -Jim Morrison-
    Mr. Mojorizn

my blog:www.numistories.com
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It's the diameter of the 1/4 oz coin, not a half ounce. >>

Where did you see this information?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>It's the diameter of the 1/4 oz coin, not a half ounce. >>

That sounds,....weird. This would look like that icon of a stapled stack of nickels. You sure that information is correct?
  • RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    It is my understanding that the Mint used copies of the original December 1906 models to make reductions and hubs. The originals should be stored in a basement vault in the Philadelphia Mint, and the Saint-Gaudens National Historic Site in Cornish, NH has copies also. (These are marked “Test Model” on the reverse – see Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908 for photos and complete details.)

Given improvements in technology over the last century and our modern mint’s desire to produce the best possible product, I suspect MMIX-dated pieces will be sharper and more detailed than original EHR $20 experimental pieces struck in 1907.

Modern pieces are to be the same diameter as a $10 (27mm) but thick enough to contain one ounce of gold. They are planned to be struck in extremely high relief like the MCMVII small diameter $20. (Only two originals exist and both are in the Smithsonian.)

• << <i>And if they come out with fractional buffalos this year, this poses a small financial dilemma, as I had not budgeted for that (which I must have).

State quarters... Pres dollars... Gold buffalos... Gold spouses... Special pennies... Special nickels... Now this St. Gaudens reproduction.

Is it my imagination, or is the US mint far more active at this point in history than at any other? >>

Or the Mint is telling us something like the storm is coming and its on the horizon.

I'm glad that the Mint made the buffalos gold and issuing the St Gaudens next year. Honestly I'm getting a bit fed up with all the remakes. Especially the American Silver Eagles front side...

its taken from the Walker Halves.

Why not have the American public create a few new designs, since creativity comes from openness?
    Firefox, Sabayon Linux and Open Source ALL THE WAY!
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

UNITED STATES MINT TO PROVIDE A GOLDEN MOMENT AT WORLD'S FAIR OF MONEY® IN BALTIMORE

The United States Mint has chosen the nation's largest coin show in Baltimore, Md., this summer to unveil the much-anticipated 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle gold coin-a modern version of what many call the most beautiful gold piece ever created. United States Mint Director Ed Moy will participate in the Opening Ceremony of the American Numismatic Association's World's Fair of Money on Wednesday, July 30, 2008, at 9:30 a.m. and then officially open the United States Mint exhibit. The display at the United States Mint booth will show the development of this modern masterpiece-a one-ounce 24-karat (.9999 pure) gold Ultra High Relief Double Eagle.

Aided by advancements in technology, the United States Mint now can produce in quantity the ultra high relief coin envisioned, but never fully realized, by renowned sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens in the early 20th century. The collectible coin will be about 50 percent thicker than other United States Mint one-ounce gold coins to achieve the greater depth and relief to which Saint-Gaudens aspired. Visitors will be able to feel the ultra high relief on a plaster of the coin that will be featured at the exhibit.

The 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle gold coin exhibit will remain on display throughout the week at the United States Mint booth on the bourse floor at the World's Fair of Money.

The United States Mint will make these coins available for sale to the public in the beginning of 2009. There will be no mintage limit. The coins will only be sold in 2009. Like the original Double Eagles, the new coin will have a denomination of $20. The sales price will depend on prevailing world gold prices in 2009.

WHAT:

United States Mint Provides a Golden Moment, Unveiling the 2009 Ultra High Relief Double Eagle Gold Coin Exhibit

WHO:

United States Mint Director Ed Moy

ANA Executive Director Larry Shepherd & Former ANA Executive Directors

WHEN:

9:30 a.m., Wednesday, July 30, 2008, (Follows Opening Ceremony of the World's Fair of Money)

WHERE:

United States Mint Booth
    World's Fair of Money
    Baltimore Convention Center
    One West Pratt Street, Baltimore, MD 21201

Customer Service information: (800) USA MINT (872-6468)

Mint Link
  • adamlaneusadamlaneus Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭
    Gold. Excellent.

I think that just sealed the deal for at least two orders from me.

One that I can touch. One that stays untouched.

• EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the only examples known Double-thick High Relief $20's from 1907 are owned by the US Government, There can be no reduction of demand due to the issuance of this coin. I'll even buy a few.
    Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

<< <i>

<< <i>It's the diameter of the 1/4 oz coin, not a half ounce. >>

That sounds,....weird. This would look like that icon of a stapled stack of nickels. You sure that information is correct? >>

My mistake. 1/2 oz is the size.

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    The 27mm diameter pieces struck in 1907 are approximately four times as thick as a normal diameter $20. MMIX-dated reproductions should be similar.

(PS: The design was never referred to as “ultra” anything by the mint – only as “extremely high relief.” “Ultra” is a meaningless modern exaggeration. The relief is barely as pronounced as on most ordinary medals, and far less than on most U.S Mint medals.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file