Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Somewhat OT, Gold's spiking... Bear Stearns bought out for $2/share.

Comments

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!! And the Fed just cut rates by a quarter! Man, when did Sunday become a weekday?

Miles
    Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow!! And the Fed just cut rates by a quarter! Man, when did Sunday become a weekday?

Miles >>

Yup, I was just about to post that. They are in a panic. On a SUNDAY!!

lending rate cut
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complete panic... going to be a long week.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    I still can't get over it... unprecedented-- ON A SUNDAY? did that ever happen before? Hold on to your gold and silver folks.
  • Options
    tmcsr69tmcsr69 Posts: 1,307
    Just proves it's a 24/7 world whether the doors or open or not. Will be interesting to see what tomorrow, or even tonight brings as a result of all this.
    Crazy old man from Missouri
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the low-lifes win again.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, this is about as ON-TOPIC as it gets. It will have ramifications in all our coin pursuits.

A British billionaire with a 9.6% stake in Bear lost a cool $800 MILL.
    Chalk up some more $$ TRILLIONs in risk to JPM's hedgebook. What's another few on top of $77 TRILLION.

Start counting to 550 TRILLION. That's how big it will get.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Holy crap image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should now be starting to sink in to many, just what the magnitude of this really is. The system truely is teetering, and there was no real choice except for the Fed and the other banks to bail out Bear Stearns.

If Bear Stearns went under, other institutions that are holding paper connected to Bear Stearns would then be in trouble. A domino effect was/is very likely. All of these banks/brokerages are tied in with each other. One gets in trouble and they are all at risk.

Also, if the populace gets really worried after hearing about Bear Stearns, it will not take much of a run on the other banks to put them in trouble.

The 'bailout' of Bear Stearns (by the cheap purchase of $2 per share instead of the $30 per share that they closed at on Friday) does not end the teetering. This will be an interesting week, to see what investors do. If they panic, the banks (and our system) is in deep trouble.

Anyone out there still burying their heads in the sand?
    ----- kj
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The interest rate they cut is not the same one they will cut on Tuesday. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Wouldn't this be a good time to buy bank stocks because they are cheap and ripe for a turn-around??

eidted....sorry should have inserted a winkie...... image
    Me and most stocks just don't mix well...esp banks.

roadrunner
  • Options
    Not a surprise there. JPM was providing Bear with access to the discount window (Bear can't play b/c they are not a traditional bank). I guess when Bear opened their books, everyone panicked.

$2 a share is a disaster and some serious wealth destruction.

<< <i>

<< <i>Wow!! And the Fed just cut rates by a quarter! Man, when did Sunday become a weekday?

Miles >>

Yup, I was just about to post that. They are in a panic. On a SUNDAY!!

lending rate cut >>

• Options
    BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    IMHO, the problem doesn't lie in the banks not having enough money to lend...the problem lies in a population that has run out of credit and cannot borrow any more money because they're tapped out. I think that the bandages that the Fed and our government are supplying are not being applied to the right place.

On another note, on one day we've got the president saying that a government should not provide too much help...link.

The next day you have the Treasury Secretary saying that the government will do whatever it has to do to stabilize the markets...link.

It's apparent that these people don't know what they're doing.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options

<< <i>The interest rate they cut is not the same one they will cut on Tuesday. Cheers, RickO >>

Correct but the discount window is VERY important these days.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let the meltdown begin!image

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

<< <i>Wouldn't this be a good time to buy bank stocks because they are cheap and ripe for a turn-around??

roadrunner >>

In theory it is. I'd say there probably a few safe ones to purchase-many more might find themselves in trouble if they are anywhere along the domino trail.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

geez the BSC yahoo finance message board looks like a suicide hotline.......

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The central bank has agreed to fund up to $30 billion of Bear Stearns' less liquid assets.

I wonder what that means?
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wouldn't this be a good time to buy bank stocks because they are cheap and ripe for a turn-around??

roadrunner >>

I think it is a little too soon yet. Too much to come yet. If you buy in now, chances are good you will lose a good portion before you start to make any gains. Maybe in the 3rd or 4th quarter....
    ----- kj
  • Options

<< <i>I think it is a little too soon yet. Too much to come yet. If you buy in now, chances are good you will lose a good portion before you start to make any gains. Maybe in the 3rd or 4th quarter.... >>

Of 2011
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options
    << Wouldn't this be a good time to buy bank stocks because they are cheap and ripe for a turn-around??
    roadrunner >>

Sure it is. You coulda bought Bears Stearns for $30 on Friday. At it's peek it went for $160. But then again since JP Morgan bought Stearns for $2 a share today, you woulda lost just a little bit of money. But hey, there's still other banks. Go ahead, roll the dice.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    That means that the FED will help remove up to $30 BILL of the BSC's Trillion+ dollar derivatives book. That takes the leap of faith that only a few percent of them will self-destruct, which is extremely optimistic. But regardless, there was no choice. JPM is the biggest holder of derivatives hot-cakes in the world. It's only fitting that they sop up this relatively small amount and add it to their existing $77,000,000,000,000 derivative's book.

roadrunner
  • Options
    mach19mach19 Posts: 4,002 ✭✭
    Gold is @ $1,017 & silver close to $21.00 image
    TIN SOLDIERS & NIXON COMING image
  • Options
    Just remember every time the FED loans a billion dollars, YOU and I are loaning that billion dollars. image

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    And they ignored Dr Ron Paul.

Go gold!

Kitco's server is overloaded on a Sunday night? Gold was $1015.90 a few minutes ago now kitco's not appearing.
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>The central bank has agreed to fund up to $30 billion of Bear Stearns' less liquid assets.

I wonder what that means? >>

The FED allows certain types of bonds to be financed through the discount window. Bear owns many bonds that do not fit this criteria and therefore cannot be repo'ed through the FED. However, these bonds are probably on repo through Bear's internal repo desk and need to maintain a certain amount of leverage. The government has allowed Bear to do so to prevent another collapse (probably a hedge fund).
  • Options
    Kitco's server will be down much of this week. That is quite routine for them since they want to keep you guessing when gold is flying.
    When gold is tanking their website works flawlessly (lol)

Sorry.....no banker stocks for me.

roadrunner
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any one looked at this? image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Kitco's server will be down much of this week. That is quite routine for them since they want to keep you guessing when gold is flying.
    When gold is tanking their website works flawlessly (lol)

Sorry.....no banker stocks for me.

roadrunner >>

No banker stocks, what scares you off? The leverage? The lack of business model?
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>geez the BSC yahoo finance message board looks like a suicide hotline....... >>

....that is absolutely on fire as far as postiing activity
  • Options
    No banker stocks, what scares you off? The leverage? The lack of business model?

How about the fraud? Now $1021

roadrunner
  • Options
    On the bright side, the dollar is doing great. image
    "Have a nice day!"
  • Options

<< <i>Kitco's server is overloaded on a Sunday night? Gold was $1015.90 a few minutes ago now kitco's not appearing. >>

Asian markets are open, then kitco's doing business. That's why i like them. Open any time metals are being traded anywhere in the world.
    Couple of different ways in:
    Door #1
    Door #2
    Door #3

Also, they have a nice little live ticker that i have on my taskbar. It's called Kcast. Have a golden day!

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>Why does this matter for coin collecting? >>

Keep an eye on PCGS price guide for gold coins.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    lope208lope208 Posts: 1,960
    Wow, unprecedented is right. I clicked over to CNBC to see if they had "breaking news" yet, but nope...no one's in the studio I'm sure image
    Successful BST transactions:
    commoncents123, JrGMan2004, Coll3ctor (2), Dabigkahuna, BAJJERFAN, Boom, GRANDAM, newsman, cohodk, kklambo, seateddime, ajia, mirabela, Weather11am, keepdachange, gsa1fan, cone10
    -------------------------
  • Options

<< <i><< Wouldn't this be a good time to buy bank stocks because they are cheap and ripe for a turn-around??
    roadrunner >>

Sure it is. You coulda bought Bears Stearns for $30 on Friday. At it's peek it went for $160. But then again since JP Morgan bought Stearns for $2 a share today, you woulda lost just a little bit of money. But hey, there's still other banks. Go ahead, roll the dice. >>

Now there is a good play on banks and it might not be too late, I got in at 63 and its now at 132. Its called ProShares UltraShort symbol SKF. It is an inverse ETF that pays the opposite of whatever the financial index is doing. And because it is an Ultrashort it pays $2 for every $1 the financials go down. Of course it works both ways, but for the midterm it is a one way street down for the banks.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>I clicked over to CNBC to see if they had "breaking news" yet, but nope...no one's in the studio I'm sure >>

I guess rust does sleep. image

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    derryb, nice Post. Respectfully, John Curlis PS: Actually, both of them- the back door and the Play.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, unprecedented is right. I clicked over to CNBC to see if they had "breaking news" yet, but nope...no one's in the studio I'm sure image >>

Go to the Asian Squack box, they are all over it.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, unprecedented is right. I clicked over to CNBC to see if they had "breaking news" yet, but nope...no one's in the studio I'm sure image >>

They'll be all over it if this triggers a stock market crash, lol.
  • Options
    Some of the holders of BSC stock. Note our fave Barclay's, the holder of the gold and silver ETF's. JPM was a major holder as well.

Holder Shares % Out Value* Reported
    BARROW, HANLEY MEWHINNEY & STRAUSS, INC. 11,485,058 9.73 $1,013,556,368 31-Dec-07
    MORGAN STANLEY 6,335,729 5.37 $559,128,084 31-Dec-07
    Legg Mason Capital Management, Inc. 5,721,010 4.84 $504,879,132 31-Dec-07
    PRIVATE CAPITAL MANAGEMENT, INC. 5,541,259 4.69 $489,016,106 31-Dec-07
    Barclays Global Investors UK Holdings Ltd 4,245,451 3.60 $374,661,050 31-Dec-07
    STATE STREET CORPORATION 3,550,715 3.01 $313,350,598 31-Dec-07
    VANGUARD GROUP, INC. (THE) 3,149,691 2.67 $277,960,230 31-Dec-07
    JANUS CAPITAL MANAGEMENT, LLC 2,765,699 2.34 $244,072,936 31-Dec-07
    FMR LLC 2,359,011 2.00 $208,182,720 31-Dec-07
    PUTNAM INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT, LLC 2,242,980 1.90 $197,942,985 31-Dec-07

TOP MUTUAL FUND HOLDERS

Holder Shares % Out Value* Reported
    VANGUARD/WINDSOR II 8,358,352 7.08 $949,508,787 31-Oct-07
    PUTNAM FUND FOR GROWTH AND INCOME 2,350,605 1.99 $267,028,728 31-Oct-07
    LEGG MASON VALUE TRUST 1,600,000 1.35 $196,496,000 30-Sep-07
    JANUS TWENTY FUND 1,496,429 1.27 $132,059,859 31-Dec-07
    VANGUARD 500 INDEX FUND 1,100,046 .93 $135,096,649 30-Sep-07
    PUTNAM VOYAGER FUND 965,300 .82 $109,658,080 31-Oct-07
    American Beacon Large Cap Value Fd 862,450 .73 $97,974,320 31-Oct-07
    PUTNAM INVESTORS FUND 742,700 .63 $84,370,720 31-Oct-07
    VANGUARD TOTAL STOCK MARKET INDEX FUND 702,594 .59 $86,285,569 30-Sep-07
    COLLEGE RETIREMENT EQUITIES FUND-STOCK ACCOUNT 696,560 .59 $85,544,533 30-Sep-07

roadrunner
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And they ignored Dr Ron Paul.

. >>

People said he was crazy. These same people couldn't discuss the most basic econ 101, but could tell you the names of all of Demi Moore's kids and name every American Idol since season one. The same people that stood in line overnight for an iPhone and paid $2,000 on ebay to be the first one to own a PS3. Who's crazy now?

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

<< <i>The central bank has agreed to fund up to $30 billion of Bear Stearns' less liquid assets.

I wonder what that means? >>

I'm not sure, but I believe it means this.

JPM just bought all of BS's physical assets, like buildings, office equipment, stuff etc. for $2 a share.

The FED puts up $30 billion to pay off the people owed money from Bear Sterns' less liquid assets.

I don't know about everybody else, but when I get my check to help out with the economy I'm writing
    back to the Secretary of the Treasury and asking for some more!!!!

Jerry
  • Options
    "I don't know about everybody else, but when I get my check to help out with the economy I'm writing
    back to the Secretary of the Treasury and asking for some more!!!!"

You don't have to. It's already in the works. They really have no choice but to keep pumping the money. As long as the FED is pumping to the banks, and it's not getting to the public, the US GOV will have to pump to the public. I read an interesting take from an economist who says that if they are going to go down this road they might as well not drag it out - just go ahead and give every taxpayer $250,000 and really stimulate the economy.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

<< <i>
    You don't have to. It's already in the works. They really have no choice but to keep pumping the money. As long as the FED is pumping to the banks, and it's not getting to the public, the US GOV will have to pump to the public. I read an interesting take from an economist who says that if they are going to go down this road they might as well not drag it out - just go ahead and give every taxpayer $250,000 and really stimulate the economy. >>

Now that's a plan I can back.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HERBERT HOOVER----PLEASE CALL YOUR OFFICE!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    With gold at $1021.90 in Asia the Mint site still shows the Dolley Madison 1/2 oz coins available at $529.95. I just ordered some but seriously doubt if the Mint will deliver.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>With gold at $1021.90 in Asia the Mint site still shows the Dolley Madison 1/2 oz coins available at $529.95. I just ordered some but seriously doubt if the Mint will deliver. >>

They are only worth melt so why pay the premium? image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file