Home U.S. Coin Forum

**A RARE GLIMPSE OF THE BEST OF THE DR. STEVE DUCKOR BARBER HALVES**!!

2»

Comments

• jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    Great coins... I'm up early having coffee, but need no sugar in my cup while looking at these, that is a sweet group of coins, thanks for posting them.

John
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Recently PCGS requested to photograph a dozen of the best of Dr. Steve Duckor's #1 Registry set of Barber Halves. This single collection is one of the finest sets of any type in the entire Registry.

These coins have only been dispayed once. In a rare break from his great humility Steve has asked that these be shared with collectors. It's my honor to post these for my great friend and mentor. Enjoy these amazing coins!

thats what I want
    "A great friend and mentor"- that is, an invaluable asset to ones life
    I had one in my professional life and there is no way to explain how helpful having someone to help and guide you to greater things is

thanks for the post

LCoopie = Les
  • morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coins that none of us will come close to owning.

Why would you want to expose a very valuable Barber collection?

How about who has the largest checking account thread?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    This thread made me pick one of my books off the shelf -- the Feigenbaum text on Barbers -- and compare the coins to their expectations. Some are good illustrations, like the 95-S is for prooflike surfaces. Then there are others that surpass the conventional wisdom on strike quality.

It's hard to pick my fave of these five, but I have it narrowed down to the 01-S and the 05-O. And the 95-S. image
  • Absolutely stunning.....thanks for sharing those wonderful images!
  • rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478
    Thank you and your friend for sharing, great way to start off the week!
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    If everyone plays well together for a day there just MAY be a PART II to this thread. image

Dale Friend....you are complicit in the building of a reasonable part of this set. You should get an assist along with David Akers. I won't go into details but your amazing "perspective" of community and comraderie is a VERY RARE thing these days. I tip my hat to you for being the guy you are.

• DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    A great set and I'm glad to see some very nice True View images of these masterpieces. That's 12 down and 61 (62 with micro O) to go! Let's get them posted in the registry set, too! That would be a trifecta for the top three sets to be imaged completely (although Dale and I have a few holes in our sets' images due to upgrades since having them imaged by Superior galleries).

We all have our favorites in Steve's set, but how do you pick ONLY 12 to image out of all of them? So many amazing coins, so many single finest, top pops, and rarities, it is mind boggling. Those posted by Jay are but the tip of the iceberg. What about the nearly perfect 96-S with NO planchet striations, the amazing 00-O prooflike from Norweb, etc, etc..?

It was a real treat to be able to display my registry set alongside those of Steve Duckor and Dale Friend at the Long Beach show several years ago. I consider myself lucky to have the opportunity to network with these consummate professionals.
    Dr. Pete
    Peter.....no mention of his 1915-S....help the poor guy out! image
  • Nice! I'd collect barber halfs if I had the money for it. I'm way too picky any would go for the super high grades and go broke in two coins.
    Coins please me, they please me so...
    Jay,

I currently have three coins in my set that technically grade higher than Steve's coins, each by a mere single grade, the 15-S (as you alluded to), the 97-S and 09-O. However, numerical grade versus eye-appeal and originality are different animals (although I really do like my 97-S and 09-O). A 15-S that Steve will really like will eventually come along, but it has been elusive, and I'm not sure why. The pop reports show some MS 67's (which I've never seen) and enough MS 66 coins that you'd think one would have been found that worked for him by now.
    Dr. Pete
    You would think so but not STEVE!! Hasn't seen one he's liked yet!

That's what makes great collectoins, Pete. You should hold your head just as high. I know what you have! image
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Those are particularly choice. image
    Thanks Jay. I do like my set and am proud of it. Never dreamed I would have such a set!

You made me go back and peak at my registry set and I forgot about my highest graded coin, the 06-S in 68. It also barely tops Steve's coin in grade. That makes a mere four coins out of 73. Steve has about 45 coins that top mine. That's the magnitude of how top-notch his set really is.

PCGS has only graded ten MS68 barber halves for the entire series. Steve has one, the 05-O, Dale has one, the 92-O micro O Eliasberg, and I have my 06-S Hugon.
    Dr. Pete
    That coin is the ONLY MS68 that Steve has out of all his collections.

But there are some monster toned MS67's...what's a single grade difference anyway? image
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Nonpareil!!! image
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭
    Those are all beautiful coins but that 04 is killer.

-------------

etexmike
  • TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭
    Those are some awesome coins and toners! Thanks for sharing!

TC71
  • Thanks so much for sharing such beautiful coins from such an important, storied collection.

Just breath-taking!

Garrow
  • Would a dip get that spot off the '93-S ? image

Beautiful coins. Thanks for posting them!
    Mark Piersall
    Random Collector
    www.marksmedals.com
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would a dip get that spot off the '93-S ?

There's always a critic in every crowd! image
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭

Unimaginable set of coins. I'm just dumbfounded at the beauty of all these pieces.

Thanks for sharing!

wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • richardshipprichardshipp Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭
    It's a real treat just to see coins like those. Thanks.
  • pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    wowimage

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing!
    ALL thanks go to Steve. He's always been very "reclusive" about showing his coins because of his special humility. This is a rare treat and he's actually thrilled at the response.

Thanks Steve, for this amazing inspiration for collectors! image
  • NicNic Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    THAT 93-S has no peers. I would love to own the spot.

Thanks again Steve and Jay.

K
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about who has the largest checking account thread?

If we magically shuffled the economic deck and got to redistribute all of the money and all of the coins as we saw fit, I'd argue that these Barber halves should go straight back to their current owner. Nobody else would appreciate them as much as he does, and nobody could give them a better home.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • gyocomgdgyocomgd Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
    There are many U.S. coins that don't do it for me, and to date I counted Barber halves among them. These coins, however, are a different animal. Just gorgeous.

<< <i>There are many U.S. coins that don't do it for me, and to date I counted Barber halves among them. These coins, however, are a different animal. Just gorgeous. >>

Ms. Barber never killed TATONKA! She maybe look like TATONKA but never kill one. You open minded now. image

• PonyExpress8PonyExpress8 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for sharing both of you. It was a pleasure to meet you both in Milwaukee last summer and now to see some of Steve's incredible coins here, awesome.

The beauty and eye appeal of these coins along with those I have seen of Dale's and Dr. Pete's sets set the standard for Barber Halves. These three outstanding curators of this series couldn't be kinder and more helpful as well. Classy mentors for sure. image
    The End of the Line in the West.

Website-Americana Rare Coin Inc
  • MadMonkMadMonk Posts: 3,743
    Excellent coins. Now that is the back bone of this hobby.
    Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground.

• Darn Doctors, they have all the nice coins!! image

Jack

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file