Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A coin cabinet

coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
Are there collectors that use them or are they a thing of the past?

I asked the same question on the US Forum.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Sweeeettt!!! That is a nice cabinet. -Dan
  • oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    That cabinet is a beauty!! I use a hobby cabinet:

Shep
  • JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    Those are TWO sweet Coin Cabinets!
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I use an old silver chest, top three drawers will hold about 42 slabs each, with albums and some raw stuff int he bottom.

• HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Lovely cabinets guys. I've got a 4 tray for my loose coins at home, but the dearer coins are kept at the bank.

http://www.coincabinets.com/martlet/martlet.html

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cabinets are alive and well on the Darkside, it would seem.

Amongst the Litesiders, you're most likely to encounter them amongst the EAC (Early American Copper) folks, I would imagine. Everybody else is slabhappy.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭
    AWESOME pics!!!

ID love to get an antique one, one day, just for the heck of it... but thanks for sharing!
  • cachemancacheman Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2020 12:31PM
    I guess I can spill the beans now that the deal is almost complete with one payment left.

I have been able to acquire Karl Goetz' personal medal cabinet from the Goetz family (grandson) in Munich. Apparently Karl was into antiques and in 1905, when he arrived in Munich, he had this piece created from a mid-19th century piece of furniture...perhaps a wardrobe but I'm not sure exactly.

Here are some so-so images the family sent me.

Here are the two front doors of the cabinet. It is made from walnut and has two sturdy locks with keys. The piece stands 200cm (6'5") and is 4 feet wide and 21/2 feet deep.

There are 80 drawers on the inside and it appears that each drawer is lined with green felt. I made sure the missing drawer in the photo below was located before making the deal. The base cabinet looks a tad rough so I might take the piece directly to an antique conservator for restoration before it heads home with me. The additional expense will only make the piece more valuable I think.

I am hoping to have the cabinet air cargo to me at the end of April...all 700lbs. of it....image

I don't need to tell you that it is one of a kind and I am deeply honored to own this piece of history. The cabinet purchase includes a notarized affidavit from the Goetz family attesting to its authenticity.

It's one thing to collect a particular artists work and quite another when you can place that work, full circle, where the artist did originally.
  • farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    That is one sweet cabinet Scott! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    wow!!!! That is one nice piece of furniture!image
  • Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    What an incredible piece of history to have in ones home! You need to have a "SAFE" room built just to house the cabinet and its contents! Your collection, that cabinet and your knowledge would all make a grand addition to a numismatic museum...

Well done! image

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cacheman..

What a cool piece of furniture...image

wow... some PCGS PR70 Plats would look GREAT in that thing image

in all seriousness... AWESOME
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been able to acquire Karl Goetz' personal medal cabinet from the Goetz family (grandson) in Munich. >>

imageimageimageimage
  • Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    Cacheman,

A big congratulationsimage

What a great piece of history and yes I agree that antique preservation will increase its value and from my experience, if done professionally, the cabinet will look as nice as the day Goetz himself used it.

• << <i>The base cabinet looks a tad rough so I might take the piece directly to an antique conservator for restoration before it heads home with me. The additional expense will only make the piece more valuable I think. >>

That's what they say on the Antique Roadshow. image

<< <i>The cabinet purchase includes a notorized affidavit from the Goetz family attesting to its authenticity. >>

What a great provenance, especially after you fill it with Goetz medals! imageimageimage
    Roy

• AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Cacheman,

That gives me goosebumps, man. That is one helluva score. I cannot imagine having so many of his medals, and then being able to put them in his own cabinet. Amazing, just amazing imageimageimage

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
    I dunno, it's got his finger marks on all the drawers, where the knobs are, sad to lose that image
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now this gives a whole new meaning to the term coin cabinet...

very impressive and I can hardly wait to see your images Cacheman.

• direwolf1972direwolf1972 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭
    Very cool coin cabinets. It's either the neighborhood I live in or I'm paranoid. Personally I dont feel safe without a safe.
    I'll see your bunny with a pancake on his head and raise you a Siamese cat with a miniature pumpkin on his head.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get him to sit still for this.

• HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Cacheman,
    That is truly a remarkable find and purchase. Congrats! image

• First congratulations to Cacheman for obtaining the cabinet, it could go to no else who would appreciate it more.

I have an old TV that I hope to one day convert to a coincabinet

Now I need to find someone that can do it for me!

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    very nice cabinets! And way to go cacheman!
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have been able to acquire Karl Goetz' personal medal cabinet from the Goetz family (grandson) in Munich. >>

Thats awesome!
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cacheman - That's great! I'm sure KG would be pleased.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
    GOETZ Cabinet Update

Well, the cabinet arrived yesterday from Munich and I cleared it through Customs this morning. I took it immediately to a conservator recommended by the Portland Art Museum and left it there. He estimates that the piece will be ready to be delivered to my home at the end of the month. It was advised that the piece get mostly a cleaning with only a small amount of touch-up. He said the wear is "use-wear" and it should remain that way. He estimated that the pieces was French and from the late 18th Century. Goetz then converted it to a medal cabinet around 1905. Goetz collected antiques which this obviously was a part of the collection.

To my surprise, when the bottom cabinet was opened, another thirty (?) drawers are located there. I said we needed to look for hidden compartments and the conservator took out the bottom two drawers...Lo and Behold, another tray with perhaps 30 or more gypsum casts that Goetz had made from renaissance medals, talers, and coins...perhaps for study. There were also several wax seals and a handful of 1950 Pfennigs, the year Goetz died. The drawers all contained medal title tags too...the cabinet held Goetz' finest pieces used for models until the 1980's Gorny & Mosch sale...the entire collection went and the cabinet stayed. You can still see the medal imprinted images on the velvet drawer liners. What a 'cache' man! image

I tooK some pictures of the arrival and opening of the crate. Nothing too special but once I get them resized I'll post some here.

Can't wait to cut new black velvet liners for the drawers and get my collection in place! I also acquired his engraving tools (hand-made by Goetz) and letter punches...I need to image and catalog these before I post anything more though. Glad I've got vacation starting next month...guess what I'll be up too? image
  • PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>GOETZ Cabinet Update...Well, the cabinet arrived yesterday from Munich... >>

Scott, that's truly an amazing acquisition; congrats! -Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Scott - Thanks for the update. What a treasure!!! an incredible addition to the Goetz collection. I think your eye for detail and providence comes from your work as an archaeologist.

I think we are lucky you took such an interest in Goetz, not only his work but his life, politics and influence.

Thanks for doing such a bang-up job and sharing it with us.

Shep
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if you could get those pfennigs slabbed and attributed to Goetz's collection? Take any photographs when they came out?
  • olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    One question I have for everyone. Is there any danger to your coins from a particular wood or are all woods safe for storing coins? Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Amazing... that thing is HUGE (both physically and historically).

I won't be so crass as to ask how much the cabinet cost, but I'm curious how much it cost to ship (if you don't mind sharing that aspect), and how was it packed to avoid damage in transit? It looks fairly delicate in some respects...
    Pick-up, pack, air-freight to closest International airport - €1850 ($2700)
  • theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Awesome addition to your fine collections, Congratsimage
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    This cabinet is definite FatMan10™ material.......tres cool.

Do you plan on a replica drawer for the two that aren't shown? Missing? Any chance there is also a "coin map" showing which drawers Goetz's own medals resided?

BTW, YOU SUCK™. imageimage

• << <i>GOETZ Cabinet Update Well, the cabinet arrived yesterday from Munich and I cleared it through Customs this morning. I took it immediately to a conservator recommended by the Portland Art Museum and left it there. He estimates that the piece will be ready to be delivered to my home at the end of the month. It was advised that the piece get mostly a cleaning with only a small amount of touch-up. He said the wear is "use-wear" and it should remain that way. He estimated that the pieces was French and from the late 18th Century. Goetz then converted it to a medal cabinet around 1905. Goetz collected antiques which this obviously was a part of the collection. To my surprise, when the bottom cabinet was opened, another thirty (?) drawers are located there. I said we needed to look for hidden compartments and the conservator took out the bottom two drawers...Lo and Behold, another tray with perhaps 30 or more gypsum casts that Goetz had made from renaissance medals, talers, and coins...perhaps for study. There were also several wax seals and a handful of 1950 Pfennigs, the year Goetz died. The drawers all contained medal title tags too...the cabinet held Goetz' finest pieces used for models until the 1980's Gorny & Mosch sale...the entire collection went and the cabinet stayed. You can still see the medal imprinted images on the velvet drawer liners. What a 'cache' man! image I tooK some pictures of the arrival and opening of the crate. Nothing too special but once I get them resized I'll post some here. Can't wait to cut new black velvet liners for the drawers and get my collection in place! I also acquired his engraving tools (hand-made by Goetz) and letter punches...I need to image and catalog these before I post anything more though. Glad I've got vacation starting next month...guess what I'll be up too? image >>

WOW.
  • ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Amazing!!! Keep us informed on your fun!
  • This is truly fascinating. Congrats on receiving your shipment and I can't wait to see the finished product!
    Thank you so much for sharing all the history that goes with not only your collection, but the cabinet as well~
    Jim
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I can say is WOW!! I'm glad your furniture expert didn't recommend too much...I think the originality of it is part of the historical (and monetary) value. I distinctly remember an Antiques Roadshow (must have been nearly 10 years ago...) that had those twins looking at some amazing piece that the family had gotten 'fixed up' before bringing to the show. The fixing up dropped it's value from somewhere in the $150K range to a $50 or 60K . Their faces were just frozen when they heard the value difference.

Will you feature the cabinet in your coffee table book that I'm planning on buying oh-by-the-way-in-case-you-didn't-know-you-were-writing-one?

Cathy

Do you plan on a replica drawer for the two that aren't shown? Missing? Any chance there is also a "coin map" showing which drawers Goetz's own medals resided?

The two drawers are present...he just didn't have them in place when he took the images. Also, most of the velvet has imprints of the medal outlines and devices so it's easy enough to see where they sat for many years before being sold in the Gorny & Mosch sale.
    edited July 16, 2020 12:38PM
    Okay, Here are some images:

This is what the crate looked like when they dumped it in the truck...

I picked up a fellow collector who wanted to see the cabinet and this is him and John, the conservator, checking the bottom of the unit out right after we unpacked and started unloading. This gives you a pretty good idea of the cabinet's size...

A better view of the top unit of the cabinet

The conservator inspecting the bottom unit (see drawers stacked on top?)

A better view of the drawer system on the bottom unit.

And finally, The cache of gypsum casts, wax seals, and Pfennigs that were discovered in this tray under the bottom drawers of the bottom unit. Tags pulled from assorted drawers and are from both Karl and Guido.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is so hardcore I'm having a hard time typing. How cool is it that someone who is such a scholar of Goetz would be able to acquire the actual cabinet, and then also find the pieces in a secret compartment that all of us would dreamed about, wished for, hoped for, and anxiously looked for! image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

I think I'm getting a woody just looking at that image... image

What is the little violin-shaped cast in the lower left corner? Looks interesting...
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That is so hardcore I'm having a hard time typing. How cool is it that someone who is such a scholar of Goetz would be able to acquire the actual cabinet, and then also find the pieces in a secret compartment that all of us would dreamed about, wished for, hoped for, and anxiously looked for! image >>

I couldn't have said it better. Wow - what an adventure!
  • pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    You should put together an exhibit image
  • cacheman is the definition of "hardcore".
  • Kurt4Kurt4 Posts: 492 ✭✭
    Absolutely amazing. I don't even dream this good.
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    This is so beyond cool........I'm sitting here in awe. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.
    Becky
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is fantastic !