Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pujols elbow injury.....Could this cause his Bowman Chrome to drop another $1K ?

Pujols elbow story
I would worry about this injury, especially after he has the procedure- which I am sure he eventually will. Could really hurt his swing and power. If he does shut it down during 08 do you think his Bowman Chrome will drop again? I don't think anyone made a thread about it dropping $1,000 in Beckett recently.

Comments

• Options
    JeremyDie1JeremyDie1 Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭
    I'am still waiting on a good time to pick up the Bowman Chrome auto. Its always on my watch list when one gets listed. We will just have to wait and see how he manages the pain again.
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Allen, please take your anti-Pujols sentiments elsewhere. This is a pro-Pujols board.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I am sorry Lee, I will go discuss with 13 year olds on the Beckett boards who repeatedly post that they are trading 1.2X in your favor for "Prospects".

• Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    I will trade 1.3x for prospects but only 1x for guys who never made it. I am always willing to pay in dubloons, chocolate coins or cap'n crunch.
  • Options

<< <i>Allen, please take your anti-Pujols sentiments elsewhere. This is a pro-Pujols board. >>

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    DOWN WITH ALLEN!!!

if i were you, i'd move in a zig-zag fashion when you leave all public places from now on!

next thing you know bo jackson bashing, so messt up!

nice poppage lee, you rock! still waiting on my first sub in 2 years to pop.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options

<< <i> I am always willing to pay in dubloons, chocolate coins or cap'n crunch. >>

If you add a video game you shall get any prospect.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    do you take playstation 1 sports games from the early 90's? image
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    If I didn't believe in karma, I would be doing a little jig right now.

But since I do, I'll resist temptation and sincerely hope Pujols recovers soon.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Has it really dropped $1000 recently?
  • Options
    In the February Beckett it was $2,500 with down arrows. It was $3,500 in January. A PSA 9 sold for $2,399 a week or so ago and a seller ended an SCG 92 he had listed at $2,300. I had contacted him and he said he would deduct the ebay fees if he sold outside of ebay but that was all he would budge. I am guessing he got $2,100- $2,200 range for it.
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In the February Beckett it was $2,500 with down arrows. It was $3,500 in January. A PSA 9 sold for $2,399 a week or so ago and a seller ended an SCG 92 he had listed at $2,300. I had contacted him and he said he would deduct the ebay fees if he sold outside of ebay but that was all he would budge. I am guessing he got $2,100- $2,200 range for it. >>

Interesting. This is the Bowman Chrome Refractor auto, right? How many were in that print run?
  • Options
    500 total cards, some with the same serial number- but that is a whole different subject that wold -poof- this thread. They are all the Bowman Chrome Refractor auto, there are no parallels. It is the base card auto and they are all refractors.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭
    Don't be hatters! Pujols just suffered an injury common to many big strong guys. He will bounce back.
  • Options
    "If the pain is as great in 2008 as in '07, Pujols has said, he will shut it down rather than try to play through it again. A combination of severe discomfort and a flagging Cardinals season would likely add up to reconstructive surgery, with an aim toward being ready for the start of 2009.

"If he were to develop recurring elbow problems this year," Paletta said, "and they were to be unmanageable and he said 'I can't continue to play like this,' my recommendation would be to probably have the whole thing reconstructed. I believe, and I don't want to speak for Andrews, but based on the conversations Dr. Andrews and I have had, I believe that would be Andrews' recommendation as well."

In the meantime, however, the Cardinals will attempt to treat the injury's symptoms and keep Pujols playing frequently and effectively. That's everyone's preference, and Paletta did not rule out the possibility that Pujols might play his entire career without the operation.

"This is not a curable problem without a reconstruction," Paletta said. "What we hope is that it's a manageable problem. We've been managing this problem since 2003, when he first tore it. So we've been managing it fairly successfully for five seasons now. But there comes a time when it's not manageable anymore. And if it's not manageable anymore, the best answer for Albert probably, long-term, is to consider having the reconstruction done."

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Albert just needs to take some HGH to speed up the recovery process!!! image

Steve
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>do you take playstation 1 sports games from the early 90's? image >>

I'll see your playstation 1 bet and up you a collection of late 70s/early 80s Intellivision games! image
  • Options
    GootGoot Posts: 3,496

<< <i>I am sorry Lee, I will go discuss with 13 year olds on the Beckett boards who repeatedly post that they are trading 1.2X in your favor for "Prospects". >>

That's SO true. I only visit the board to see some of the box breaks. Most of the time, if I venture into the regular board, it's all about "showing off your sweetest patch", how you got a steal on a refractor of a prospect that means nothing to you and is now 25 and still in Double-A, or which PROSPECT is the best INVESTMENT (doesn't that have the makings of an oxy moron?). A few decent threads can be found from time to time though.

As for Pujols.....golly, that's too bad. image
  • Options
    jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
    <<<Albert just needs to take some HGH to speed up the recovery process!!! >>>

You mean more than his usual dosage?
  • Options
    I hope you have all your money invested in him! image

Giovanni
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    next thing you're going to tell us is that Pujols really is only 29.
  • Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    Pujols is stuck on a bad team - and lets be honest why is his rookie/auto card so high in value?? - just like brady stuff - its going down

Dont get me wrong - I like the guy but his stuff has been high for too long.... Now with all the fake auto's (fleer) - He wont put up numbers like he did in the past...

Never liked his stuff as an investment...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options
    I have always thought his stuff was overpriced. I will continue to believe his test of longevity will fall short of many expectations.
    I will take a graded goudey ruth, aaron rookie, 34 gehrig, 48 leaf jackie, and many other cards of the same current value before I would spend $3K on his chrome rookie.

• Options

<< <i>I hope you have all your money invested in him!

Giovanni >>

I am heavily invested in Menko Mikans as I hear the return rate on them is very good. I am sorry to see your water wings are still keepin your face out of the Mikan milk in your cereal.
  • Options

<< <i>I have always thought his stuff was overpriced. I will continue to believe his test of longevity will fall short of many expectations.
    I will take a graded goudey ruth, aaron rookie, 34 gehrig, 48 leaf jackie, and many other cards of the same current value before I would spend $3K on his chrome rookie. >>

I agree with you but I think the question is would you buy if its under 2 grand.
  • Options
    fandangofandango Posts: 2,622
    anyone who knows Pujols knows this is OLD NEWS....he has won a batting title, won an MVP and won a world series ring with the SAME ELBOW....nothing has changed excpet a few more news reports about his elbow....it is ASYMPTOMATIC and will not cause him any harm.....use this as a buying opportunity...

i scooped up Pujols in my Fantasy Auction at a reduced rate and i recommend the same...

remember he was #1 pick in all leagues last year.....
  • Options
    ripkenintheminorsripkenintheminors Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭
    Yikes, I didn't realize that there was such a substantial drop.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.....use this as a buying opportunity... >>

Same goes with BSC.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options

<< <i>anyone who knows Pujols knows this is OLD NEWS....he has won a batting title, won an MVP and won a world series ring with the SAME ELBOW....nothing has changed excpet a few more news reports about his elbow....it is ASYMPTOMATIC and will not cause him any harm.....use this as a buying opportunity...

i scooped up Pujols in my Fantasy Auction at a reduced rate and i recommend the same...

remember he was #1 pick in all leagues last year..... >>

Anyone with a link to their Pujols colection in their sig is going to looking for the silver lining. LaRussa is not very good at managing injured players, just ask Scott Rolen. Playing through an injury is never an easy call. Sometimes with this condition removing the bone spurs can actually make it worse as they are part of what is stabalizing the joint. As for taking him in my fantasy team, any player who could shut it down for the entire season pretty much at any point without notice would be a bit of a gamble for me. I think he is a great player and I hope he ends up being 100%, but I think the many examples of players who were never the same after one injury speaks for the seriousness of the situation.
  • Options
    fkwfkw Posts: 1,766 ✭✭
    Its an overhyped modern card thats seen its best days. It naturally will go down over time. Supply and demand.
  • Options
    wrong again Allen......

Elbow not slowing his cards down 1 bit....last week was a record for a raw 2001 donruss elite ($325)..

Not slowing down bowman chrome rookie either ...see this auction with a poor scan and low feedback....

you are like a jinx, if you predicted for a stock to go up, i would short it in a second....

ALLEN THE JINX

link
  • Options

<< <i>wrong again Allen......

Elbow not slowing his cards down 1 bit....last week was a record for a raw 2001 donruss elite ($325)..

Not slowing down bowman chrome rookie either ...see this auction with a poor scan and low feedback....

you are like a jinx, if you predicted for a stock to go up, i would short it in a second....

ALLEN THE JINX

link >>

You pick one isolated incident where there were only 2 bidders battling for it, both had under 50 FB. Besides those 2 numskulls, The next highest bid was only $220.

His cards are going down across the board.
  • Options
    its not over yet....

i just want allen to admit he was wrong.....he took a BS press release and turned it into a major thing like a lot of others......

mr negativity is mad because he collects a hudlum nobody but himself admires...

edit: the only cards of his that have seen a drop are the common rookies.....

the rarer cards and auto rookies HAVE BEEN ON FIRE
  • Options
    Not sure where Allen was a jinx. His original post was spot on and the cards were dropping in value. Kudos on bumping the thread what, 3 months after the fact? It's also worth noting that the current high bidder has a 53% bid activity with the seller.
  • Options
    hofautos, are you looking at the right auction?

there have been over 30 bids with many over $1000....does it make it an invalid auction because a few people want it bad? that is the present market my friend....In the Mastro auctions, how many people you think are paying big money for top cards? its only a few....

ripken...funny you are...its 53% because he is only bidding on three items, 7 times on this 1 item, and 6 times on 2 other items....ITS NOT 53% HE WINS AUCTIONS WITH THIS SELLER, ITS HIS CURRENTBIDDING WITH THIS SELLER....he has zero previous transactions with this seller

please learn how to use the ebay system correctly before twisting numbers in your favor....

08 18:16:44 PDT

u***4( 12) US $1,800.00 Jun-04-08 08:28:11 PDT

u***4( 12) US $1,800.00 Jun-04-08 08:13:13 PDT

t***j( 100) US $1,775.00 Jun-06-08 08:42:46 PDT

t***j( 100) US $1,725.00 Jun-04-08 18:02:59 PDT

t***j( 100) US $1,675.00 Jun-04-08 18:02:34 PDT

t***j( 100) US $1,600.00 Jun-04-08 18:02:10 PDT

u***4( 12) US $1,500.00 Jun-04-08 08:12:07 PDT

n***9( 1008) US $1,499.00 Jun-03-08 13:49:01 PDT

u***4( 12) US $1,450.00 Jun-04-08 08:11:43 PDT

u***4( 12) US $1,400.00 Jun-04-08 08:11:27 PDT

u***4( 12) US $1,350.00 Jun-04-08 08:11:08 PDT

l***0( 218) US $1,300.00 Jun-03-08 09:40:54 PDT

n***9( 1008) US $1,200.00 Jun-02-08 17:55:37 PDT

a***t( 11) US $1,000.00 Jun-01-08 20:30:46 PDT

p***0( 658) US $999.00 Jun-02-08
  • Options

<< <i>hofautos, are you looking at the right auction?

08 18:16:44 PDT
    >>

i was referring to the $325 card you mentioned...not to that auction.
    pujols 325 auction you mentioned earlier
  • Options

<< <i>

ripken...funny you are...its 53% because he is only bidding on three items, 7 times on this 1 item, and 6 times on 2 other items....ITS NOT 53% HE WINS AUCTIONS WITH THIS SELLER, ITS HIS CURRENTBIDDING WITH THIS SELLER....he has zero previous transactions with this seller

please learn how to use the ebay system correctly before twisting numbers in your favor.... >>

someone is in a good mood today.
  • Options
    A bgs 9.5 chrome auto sold a few days ago for $4600.
    His SPX auto graded 9 was over $1000 just a few short months ago.....one just sold for $400.

I wouldn't bring this up, except for when someone suggests his cards are holding steady, when that is not necessarily a correct representation in whole.
    You would think his cards would go up with his great season he is having, but i believe his peak prices won't be revisited for many years...
  • Options
    digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭

<< <i>
    u***4( 12) US $1,800.00 Jun-04-08 18:16:44 PDT
    u***4( 12) US $1,800.00 Jun-04-08 08:28:11 PDT
    u***4( 12) US $1,800.00 Jun-04-08 08:13:13 PDT
    >>

Heh, when a high bidder starts placing insurance bids on top of his high bid like this, he's just begging to get shilled or messed with.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25
  • Options
    I'm shocked, hofautos in yet another Pujols thread....

I will say the 01' Bowman Chrome Pujols is a beautiful card(online scans do this card no justice), and I can care less what they might/have/will sell for. Once again, I'm sure hofautos will stand at the pulpit and tell me this great prediction of his. It's coming, trust me..

In a world full of junk sticker autos, multi player signed cards, and countless game used jersey and patch cards, if any modern card is worth owning, it's the 01' Bowman Chrome Pujols. It's the 52' Mantle of modern day cards. A hobby icon to say the least.

Think about it, it's an on card autograph, with less than 500 in existence, of the greatest hitter that modern times has ever seen. I'll take my chances when his career is over as to what it will be worth.

I think some just say things out of jealousy, since not everyone can afford to go out and buy one. image

Once again, just my personal opinion.

• Options

<< <i>I'm shocked, hofautos in yet another Pujols thread....

I will say the 01' Bowman Chrome Pujols is a beautiful card(online scans do this card no justice), and I can care less what they might/have/will sell for. Once again, I'm sure hofautos will stand at the pulpit and tell me this great prediction of his. It's coming, trust me..

In a world full of junk sticker autos, multi player signed cards, and countless game used jersey and patch cards, if any modern card is worth owning, it's the 01' Bowman Chrome Pujols. It's the 52' Mantle of modern day cards. A hobby icon to say the least.

Think about it, it's an on card autograph, with less than 500 in existence, of the greatest hitter that modern times has ever seen. I'll take my chances when his career is over as to what it will be worth.

I think some just say things out of jealousy, since not everyone can afford to go out and buy one. image

Once again, just my personal opinion. >>

I don't disagree with anything you say.

My only point has been, and will continue to be, that I believe that his cards will continue to come down as he nears retirement and as he has slumps years in the future....and that I believe there will be much lower prices on the horizon as history with card prices repeat itself.

The only way this will not happen, is if he continues to put up monster years until retirement, which i believe the odds of that happening are slim to none.

You are right that if i bought the chrome auto, it would be the most expensive card i own, and it is a purchase i don't care to make at this time. Right now, if I was going to spend that much on a card, I would be more comfortable buying an Ichiro ultimate. Pujols has too many rookie autos, and they are still overpriced, but coming down...

Once again, just my personal opinion.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    Is he unquestionably the greatest hitter of the modern times?
    I know he is close to the top but he hasn't dont what Arod or Griffey has done yet. You must be from Missouri, too. I hear so much about Pujols it's sickening.

JOhn
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>Is he unquestionably the greatest hitter of the modern times?
    I know he is close to the top but he hasn't dont what Arod or Griffey has done yet. You must be from Missouri, too. I hear so much about Pujols it's sickening.

JOhn >>

Who cares where I am from? Facts are facts. The stats do not lie.

Place Pujols', Griffey's, and Arod's hitting stats side by side, and see where they rank. Pujols is #1.
  • Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,363 ✭✭✭✭
    yep from missouri arent you. just what I thought.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>yep from missouri arent you. just what I thought. >>

Why, yes I am, and what is the problem with that? Because I am a fan of Pujols? Stunner....

Pujols is an amazing player, and I am glad I have been able to watch his whole career. I am only saddened by the fact I was not old enough to watch all of Stan Musial's career.

• Options
    Albert Pujols once ate an entire Harley Davidson. Why? he was hungry.
  • Options
    Compared to what that card has sold for over the past few years, it is still down. Pujols has been injured within the past few days and he is playing well, but he is not the Josh Hamilton or Chase Utley of the season. The card is not selling for over book even after it droped $1,000 earlier. I am not sure what you are so excited about. It is always going to be a symbolic card regardless, I mean look at the Michael Vick SP Authentic Rookie Patch Auto that card still brings big money and he is in prison. I bet you made the same argument 15 years ago about Albert Belle being the best modern hitter. Get me the June 2015 Baseball Beckett and we will see what the Pujols is valued at if/when he hits the end of career stat dive, a la Mickey Mantle.

PS- If you want to prove what jinx I am please dig up my Tiger Woods SP Authentic thread from a few months ago.
  • Options
    Also if you look at Griffeys number at age 27 he had more hits, HRs and RBI than Pujols at 27.
  • Options
    Also, Pujols eats a baby elephant every day for breakfast.

btw, can you look up a few cards for me in the June 2015 Beckett? Thanks.
  • Options

<< <i>Also if you look at Griffeys number at age 27 he had more hits, HRs and RBI than Pujols at 27. >>

Here you go Allen:

This is the first 7 seasons of their career's.

Griffey / Pujols:

HR: 189 / HR: 282

RBI: 585 / RBI: 861

HITS: 1039 / HITS: 1344

Case closed.. image

P.S. Let's not even try to compare Pujols' .332 career average, .620 slug, or .420 on base % in his first 7 seasons, to Griffey's. It makes Pujols look even the more impressive.