Home U.S. Coin Forum

Draped Bust Dime Collectors

Post a picture or tell us about a draped bust dime in your collection.
The only one I have at the present time is a 1798, large 8, PCGS 61, mintage 27500.
I see lots of post about the quarters and halves but very few about the dimes.
I know that I am not the only one who likes these coins.

Comments

• STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Here is my earliest Draped Bust Dime:
    I'm sure you could figure it out from the reverse stars, but this is a 1798/7 16 star reverse.
    (I also have an 1807 in FR-02/01 which, unlike this, is original unmessed with)

Obverse
    Reverse
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You likely will not get many folks posting these lovely little coins since they are far tougher to obtain than their larger cousins the quarters, halves and dollars.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have these three: Eventually gonna upgrade the 1796.

• CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a couple dimes... I wouldn't call myself a draped bust dime collector... more like an "any nice, original early draped bust or flowing hair type will do for me" kind of collector.

cheers,

C'dude

imageimage

imageimage
    Got Crust....y gold?

• << <i>You likely will not get many folks posting these lovely little coins since they are far tougher to obtain than their larger cousins the quarters, halves and dollars. >>

That is very true!!!! I always wanted a really nice example of the type in VF but could not find one . Several years ago I came accross a very nice one ( just what I wanted) at David Lawrence and I didn't jump right on it and someone else did. It was priced at around $750. I will never see that price again and really can't pay what they are bringing now. Just one of my many regrets particularly with draped bust anything they have really shot up. I never thought the dimes were that rare and you can find them but most of them have problems.
  • PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's a couple dimes... I wouldn't call myself a draped bust dime collector... more like an "any nice, original early draped bust or flowing hair type will do for me" kind of collector.

cheers,

C'dude

imageimage

I love that 1796, great coin!
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I put together a complete date set of Bust Dimes (Draped and Capped) several years ago, and sold them over the last 1-2 years. A number of them were sold to board members. Here are a few of the coins that were in the set:

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have pics of my draped bust dimes, but really like my 1811 overdate.
  • I love the dimes you all posted!!!
  • NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About the only thing more rare than draped bust dimes are collectors of them. The 1804 is an established rarity, but the 1800-1803 dates are not far behind, try to find one in problem free VF! The 1797 is also tough, and 1796 is more "common" but in heavy demand by first year collectors. I had all dates except for 1804 at one time, ranging from AG to AU58, it is impossible to collect them in a matched grade such as VF.

I will keep this one, as it is the discovery coin for this die state and probably within R-8 rarity
    I may sell this, one of four 1803's graded by ngc/pcgs in F12-F15, the earlier die state of the above coin
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • DarrellDarrell Posts: 87 ✭✭✭
    This is a picture of my draped bust dime :
    1798 large 8 PCGS 61
    (picture courtesy of Joe O'Connor)image[/IMG]

Sorry - still learning how to post pictures - will try again later!
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    here it is image

imageimage

edited to show both obv and rev

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file