Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Kennedy rolls @ the bank... & my best coin (PICS)

So, I went to the bank to see if I could get 4 rolls of the new Monroe dollar coins..... but alas, no luck. So I ask if they have any Kennedy Halves (generally have 1-3 rolls) & the teller has to go check. Well she comes back and says, 'Yes, how many are you looking for?'... I ask how many they have.... 'Umm, $360.00'... Hmmm, okay I'll take 10 rolls (I only rarely bother getting halves because there's not usually anything much in them... I only found silver once, and it happened to be my very first roll!). So, I peak in the end of one & the first coin looks interesting... I get home and dump 'em all out - no silver.... mostly old cruddy mutilated coins.... except that first coin I peaked at. So, I look at it under the light and it has some very nice light toning, but what really surprised me, was that it was practically blemish free!!!!!!!!!

So, I tried to get some decent pics (my old Sony sucks at the whole white balance thing) & it didn't pick up nearly as much of the color as my eyes, but not bad.

I welcome any & all comments - and please give me a grade estimate (and if this would even be worth grading)!

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    tightbudgettightbudget Posts: 7,299 ✭✭✭
    AU. Don't send it. I'd throw it back unless you like the general look of it.
  • Options
    Yeah, I actually like the look a lot... the obverse has that "glisteny"(?) texture to it that I rarely run across.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like a metal detector find.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raq, didn't you hit it big last year with Kennedy rolls from the bank? Same bank?
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would look good in a 7070 type set of original coins, especially if you can find the other coins to match it.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

<< <i>Raq, didn't you hit it big last year with Kennedy rolls from the bank? Same bank? >>

Yeah, my first time ever getting half dollars at the bank was about a year ago.... and I hit a whole roll! image (Same bank too - Wachovia) Here's the "scan":

• Options
    vplitevplite Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Raq, didn't you hit it big last year with Kennedy rolls from the bank? Same bank? >>

Yeah, my first time ever getting half dollars at the bank was about a year ago.... and I hit a whole roll! image (Same bank too - Wachovia) Here's the "scan": >>

Wow!

And AskRaq, you would be better off spending the half than having it graded,
    The Golden Rule: Those with the gold make the rules.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    Right now, I like it!

I would put it in a 2x2 or a flip and stick in my assorted coins just because of the color and the texture! It almost looks sandblasted.

The strike is a bit mushy but all in all, I think it looks pretty good!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>It almost looks sandblasted.

The strike is a bit mushy but all in all... >>

Yeah, the strike is a bit weak... but you're right about the "sandblasted" texture, that together with the light glistening toning really caught my eye.
  • Options

tightbudget says AU
    TomB says metal detector (been in the ground)

I thought it was a weak strike MS....... can you guys point out the "tells" to me please?
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    It would seem that the rolls they have are because someone already went through them and returned them.
  • Options
    Brought home a box of $500..............went through 17 rolls.....................found 1 1967 and one that looks like it was struck through grease, can't make out the date.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Neat coin...sort of looks like a matte finish in the photo....but it is eclipsed by the roll of 64's! Wow what a find!

K
    ANA LM
  • Options
    CasmanCasman Posts: 3,935 ✭✭
    I hit the bank yesterday and while there trying to get some half rolls my buddy calls. I tell him what I'm doing and anyway, they had none. My buddy calls back and says ok so I got $300.00 worth, whatta I do with them? Anyway, he found 12-67's 4-68's and a 2-69-70, and a bunch of bicentenials....Figures....image
  • Options

<< <i>I hit the bank yesterday and while there trying to get some half rolls my buddy calls. I tell him what I'm doing and anyway, they had none. My buddy calls back and says ok so I got $300.00 worth, whatta I do with them? Anyway, he found 12-67's 4-68's and a 2-69-70, and a bunch of bicentenials....Figures....image >>

Nice finds.... those are the exact dates (40%) that I can never find for my daughter's Kennedy album! image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with TomB.... looks like it has been 'out in the elements' for a while. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The surfaces on that 76' Half do look pitted. Was probably cleaned at one point, then it eventually retoned over time...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file