Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Fro-Joy Babe Ruth --- reprint, right?

I'm 99% sure this is a reprint but I thought I'd put it to the experts. Any chance this is authentic? Stock looks much darker than those I've seen and I never saw the printed perforations on the front. Any thoughts?

Comments

• zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    not sure about the card but I could sure go for a big bowl of Youth Units
  • I can not tell .
    But the card is unbelievably clean !

It looks like he has bubble gum on the top of his cap , Just like Phil Rizzuto .

Sometimes my scans come out darker than they are in real life though .

Sweet looking card !
  • bluemarlinbluemarlin Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    image chock full of "YOUTH UNITS" that's classic.

Jake
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a copy from the Old Cardboard web:

From my recollection, the ones that are dead giveaways are the colored full sheets which were reprinted by the zillions in the 60s I believe.

I'm no expert on detecting a fake - but if it's not in a legitimate graded holder and on ebay? Well the odds aren't good I guess.

My guess? Fake.

mike
    Mike
  • Im not sure there are two many experts on these cards. The fakes are so good most companies do not grade them.
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • You're correct on the counterfeit... Not even close.
  • I did find this though and I hope it helps . . . .

QUESTION: How can I tell if a 1927 Fro Joy Babe Ruth card is the real one or reprint?

ANSWER: The rule of thumb with the Froy Joy Babe Ruth cards and uncut sheets is to only buy one if you really know what you are doing, or from someone who really knows what he or she’s doing.

I’ve never owned one of the cards, but my guess is that the original printing is relief with halftone (aka photoengraving with halftone). If you have a microscope, this is type of printing is identifiable by the distinct pattern and consintancy of the ink. This type of printing is pictured, described in detail in the Authentication of Prints/Photos book.

For those unfamiliar with the cards, here’s a brief history. In 1927 Fro Joy brand ice cream issued a set of black and white trading cards black depicting Babe Ruth in various poses (portrait, batting grip, sliding into base, etc). The backs of the cards have Fro Joy ads. The 1927 ice cream eater could mail in a set for a photograh of Ruth swiging the bat and an uncut sheet of the cards.

The cards and sheets are scarce on the market. The problem is that in later years the cards and sheets were reprinted without authorization. The reprints come in the original black, and also in blue and white and multi color. Knowing that the originals are only black and white, the average collector can quickly identify the blue and multi-colored cards and sheets as fakes. However, the black and white reprints also far outnumber the originals, so great care should be taken when buying
  • I'm no expert on detecting a fake - but if it's not in a legitimate graded holder and on ebay? Well the odds aren't good I guess."
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couldn't have been said any better .
  • Old Ruth cards are only real if you find them in a dumpster used by a bankrupt Pawn Shop.

Haven't you learned anything from this board yet?
  • Funny you say that . .

I remember reading in one of my son's books about Babe Ruth , that he used to hide baseballs all over the place so kids could find them .

In the picture , you see Babe Ruth peeking from around the corner of a building at a little kid in the garbage can where he had hid an autographed baseball .

As long as this Earth is still spinning there will never be another Babe Ruth , he is almost larger than Baseball it's self .
  • rube26105rube26105 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa- i remember that- guy- kinda like itsinthegrade-ive got a great secrect in 3 days!!!!!
    or the 56 bowman mantle guy,whew,too muchimage

image<------i like this guy,hes funny
  • I would steer clear of that issue, there is alot of Ruth stuff out there. He was one of the player people collected and saved back then. That issue is NOTORIOUS for reprints.
  • swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    as quoted from the sports counterfeit text - "99 % of what is on the market is fake"

the dead giveaways are the speckled areas above his check and on his hat...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • "ive got a great secrect in 3 days!!!!!"
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Not my secret right ?

• I would say that Ruth looks like a laser printed counterfeit.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I would say that Ruth looks like a laser printed counterfeit. >>

Skin! Making a rare appearance outside of the Sportstalk forum! Good to see you out more image