Home› World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

British coin Friday, let's see them!

1…34689…13

Comments

  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭
    Jeremy is jkcoins on eBay, posts here under the name airplanenut, and is a long time poster on these boards
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Design by Pinches.

    image
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Bob, another beautiful medal you have a great eye.
    image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭


    1888 Jubilee 6d.

    image



    1874-H halfpenny

    image



    1869 Maundy iddy-bitty bit

    image
  • Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Mac-I'm partial to the young Victoria, but really like the clashing on the 1874 which left her profile in the reverse field!
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Mac-I'm partial to the young Victoria, but really like the clashing on the 1874 which left her profile in the reverse field! >>



    Clash? That's Victoria's ghost watching over the fleet. image

    Actually, this clashing seems to be fairly common for the Bun head hapenny series, at least I've seen it more with 1/2d. than with any other design type or denom, excepting the farthings of this same design.

    Great medals, btw. That Pinches looks perfect, and the engraving, and relief is wonderful. It makes me want to give medals a go.....maybe in my next life. image
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Mac another batch of good looking Brit's, love the toning.
    image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, have you ever noticed that on the 1860s 1/2ds that there is sometimes what look to be long double wisps hanging from Vick's chin (clashing)?
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭
    You mean like this?

    image
    image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Wybrit, someone should pluck that chin hair. image



    In the meantime, a proof half crown


    image
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimage
    image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Charles II - Embarkation at Scheveningen by Peter van Abeele. Two embossed plates joined by a silver rim.


    image
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭
    2 of 6 purchased from JKCoins:

    image
    image

    image
    image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Ooooooo!!! Nice tanner. Av's going to be upset about that '20 thruppence. image

  • Options
    imageimage

    The sellers images of one of my recent purchases. That's 1862 if the date is unclear.
    Potestas Democraticorum delenda est!
    Joel 3:10

    “The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of ‘liberalism’ they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” -Socialist Party presidential candidate Norman Thomas

    “We Are All Socialists Now" - Feb 16, 2009 cover of Newsweek Magazine
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wybrit, yes, that is it - I have also seen 1866 and 1867 with double wisp from chin. OK, I am trying to see if I can one day add pics as I see my camera has a simple macro & maybe that will work.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    RareSovRareSov Posts: 299 ✭
    image
    image
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    1758 1 Shilling PCGS MS64, one of my favorites.

    imageimage
    image
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508 ✭
    that Shilling is jaw-dropping Larry! thanks for sharing that stunner. I love the George II Shillings for some reason, something about the design.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭
    Something other than the young queen . . . . .


    The Sailor King.....a tanner's worth.


    image


    image via the magic of mgoodm3. image

  • Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Conder penny from Lichfield.

    image
  • Options


    << <i>Something other than the young queen . . . . .


    The Sailor King.....a tanner's worth.


    image


    image via the magic of mgoodm3. image >>





    Sweeet!

    I love William IV coins, I sold all mine years ago, but I still have a soft spot for this reign. A British monarch who is perhaps easily forgotten.


  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭
    I bought this beauty from Preussen about a year and a half ago and just now finished reimaging it.

    image
    image
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    Thanks Doug, I agree there is something special about George II shillings.

    Mac love your 1835 6 pence. Here is one I have from 1831. The images that I use, that are in focus are also by the magic man.

    imageimage

    image
  • Options
    rwyarmchrwyarmch Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's our William on the 1/2 penny.

    image
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    rwyarmch that is a very clean and well struck 1/2 penny.
    image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭


    << <i>rwyarmch that is a very clean and well struck 1/2 penny. >>



    It's hammered.

    AZ, that 1831 6d. looks like a colour twin to my '35!!!

    image


    Looks like it has been a William IV Friday.....except for that nice '94 florin (don't worry, Wybrit can't see anything before 1838 image ). image
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    This is a 1790 Halfpenny that I quite like the obverse design on, it's an NGC PF63.

    image

    And I loved those William IV pieces you guys showed so here is another, an 1831 halfpenny in NGC PF65.

    image
  • Options
    AZLARRYAZLARRY Posts: 1,189 ✭✭
    AZ, that 1831 6d. looks like a colour twin to my '35!!!

    Mac that is exactly what I was thinking when I saw your 6 pence, it helps that Mark imaged both of them.

    JCM that half penny is gorgeous, is it from NEN?



    image
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508 ✭


    impulse buy of the week for me; paid exactly half of Krause UNC value, so i'm happy image

    image
    image
  • Options

    Wonderful William IV coins guys!


    And Doogy that's a stunning example of my all time favourite 20th century design. Actually I'd have to say Edward VII florins are in joint first with Gothic Florins for my fave all time Brit coin design.
  • Options
    ReveriesReveries Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    This is just an amazing coin. The overall complexity of design and rendering into medal makes this gem one of the nicest I have ever seen!
    Makes most (not all) American coins look like they were made by poor - unimaginative - talentless apprentices!
    I was referring to the George III piece posted by AZLARRY.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Azlarry, yes the Will IV came from NEN last year.
  • Options
    ReveriesReveries Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    May i ask what is the NEN that you are talking about?
  • Options
    ReveriesReveries Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    This really was the coin that i was referencing to in my original post. The George IV Shilling is an amazing work of art, design and skill.
    The strike is also impressive. Too bad we cant make coins like that today? I don't care how much technology you throw at a design.
    This type of coin demonstrates the difference between true artists and those who aspire to becoming a craftsman.

  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    NEN is Northeast Numismatics, one of the best world coin dealers on line.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But don't forget to have a big wallet before shopping there (in most instances). Have had to fight with them at auction before and they have some muscle; if you lose out and wait to see what the coin/set will sell for on their list should you lose, god help you. Still some nice coins and like to look at their listings on occasion.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478 ✭
    This one I have shown before here, just not this thread.

    image

    This one I just got today, very cool color IMO...

    image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My recent "Godless" Florin pick up!

    image
    image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice original looking set there, Rob! Nice colors! image
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Very sweet florin there alsoimage
  • Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, theboz. That's an interesting av' you use too. Can you share a little bit about it for us? What country, date, material (looks part gold & part silver), brief history, etc.?
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭
    Ever wondered what a BU black farthing really looks like? Here's an example:

    image

    image

    They are so black they're almost purple and they have a marvelous sheen.

    Even though it's not a rare series, these coins are very hard to find in this condition.

    I really like this series.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508 ✭
    TGIF!
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508 ✭
    image
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508 ✭
    image
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doog, nice 2/6 there! I like that coin and the halfcrowns in currency amongst my favorites.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478 ✭
    My Raw Farthings so far...

    image

    image

    image

    image

    image

    image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
  • Options
    rgCoinGuyrgCoinGuy Posts: 7,478 ✭
    image
    imageQuid pro quo. Yes or no?
Sign In or Register to comment.