Home Metal Detecting

DIGS O' THE DAY (2008-02-28): RETURN TO HAGEY HOUSE: THE SEQUEL

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
DIGS O' THE DAY (2008-02-28): RETURN TO HAGEY HOUSE: THE SEQUEL

Most of February passed me by without a detector outing. Thursday, February 28th dawned cold and frosty- our lawn was white and the birdbath frozen. This seemed odd, considering we'd been running the air conditioning only two days before. But Mother Nature often has such mood swings in southeast Georgia, around the change of seasons. She can't seem to make up her mind, sometimes.

Fortunately, it warmed up into a nice mild day, sunny and cloudless, and I was out the door at 1:00 PM. I decided to try a return visit to the Hagey residence on Union Street in Old Town Brunswick. They'd let me hunt there on January 27th, which had been my last outing.

As I started the car, the radio came on, and the song that was playing was Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's "Lucky Man". An auspicious title, perhaps. As long as one doesn't listen too carefully to the lyrics.

I arrived to the surprising sight of giant dirt piles all over the front yard. Mr. Hagey was working outside, and welcomed me back graciously. He explained that the dirt piles were being built up into landscaping berms. I didn't need to worry so much about the lawn this time, since most of it was soon to be covered in fill dirt anyway. This would possibly be the last opportunity to detect some of it before it got re-landscaped.

On my last visit, I'd found a little lead toy Indian from the 1930s or 1940s. As it happens, this won the "Best Relic" award on one of the Internet forums I frequent. (Obviously, it had been a slow month there). Somebody told me I should go out and find the cowboy that went with the Indian in that old playset, but the spot where I'd dug the Indian was now underneath a four foot high dirt mound. As it happens, I did find some more lead in the yard on this visit, but not in quite as interesting a form.

I started in the side yard, where I'd found a 1944-P silver War nickel and a 1944 Mercury dime on my last visit, not to mention a few old Wheat cents from around the same period, when the occupants of the house apparently were involved with the USO during World War II.

The first signal of the day was a solid coin-range signal, four or five inches down, which seemed promising.

It turned out to be a 1944 Wheat cent, which had suffered a strange cut to one edge, perhaps from being run over by a lawnmower.

It was followed by a more modern Memorial cent, which was one of several I found on this particular afternoon. I also found a small lead blob and another big lead sinker. On my previous visit, I'd found three large lead sinkers the size and shape of bird's eggs. These were probably net sinkers. Today's sinker was different- it was just as heavy, but triangular in shape. It was becoming pretty obvious that fishermen or shrimpers once occupied the house, which isn't really that surprising in our coastal town.

I scanned a small backyard area I'd left totally untouched the last time, but it proved to be disappointing, despite the presence of two giant, centuries-old live oak trees. There were lots of loud signals that drove the detector crazy back there- I suspect there were buried cables or sprinkler lines or something. Near one of the big trees I dug a long .22 caliber shell that looked like it might have been a blank cartridge. Then, in the front yard, I found an old leather rivet. This is the one artifact I've found on the site that might date to the 19th century, though the house is slightly newer than that. (It is, however, surrounded by 19th century houses.) I have found rivets just like this on Civil War-era sites. This doesn't mean much, though- they could have made the same kind of rivet for decades.

Some surprisingly deep pulltabs came up, and played hard to get, just to add to my frustration. Then, finally, another Wheat cent... yet another 1944! With two of the silver coins of the last visit dating 1944, and now two Wheat cents on this outing also dating to that year, it was getting to be an odd coincidence. Or perhaps not, since the US Mint was quite active that year, and produced a lot of coins. My mother was born in 1944, so that makes it a good year as far as I'm concerned.

I dug more pulltabs and modern cents, and as I entered my third hour of detecting, I felt my energy waning and my legs and back tiring. I was beginning to get a sinking feeling that today was going to be a disappointment. Initially, I had placed my odds of getting silver today at better than 50 percent, but none had shown up yet, and it was becoming obvious I would not have a triple silver day like I'd had the last time.

As I began to wind it up and head back to the car, I got a signal in the side yard, quite near where I'd found the first 1944 Wheat cent this afternoon, and only a few feet from where I had dug the 1944 Mercury dime on the visit before. This signal was almost identical to the one that had produced that 1944 dime, and only a few feet away from the spot.

I dug and dug, having difficulty pinpointnig the target, but finally I got a loud signal in the loose dirt at the edge of the hole. It was up!

I couldn't see anything at first.

Then I noticed the reeded edge of a coin peeking out of the sand. It was plainly the edge of a silver dime!

Yes! Another Mercury dime! I will never, ever tire of finding these. Though I have dug more than sixty of them as of this writing, they still give me a thrill. I do love them.

So the day was a modest success, after all. I got a February outing, and I got "silvered". Mission accomplished.

I found a little bit of junk, but not too much.

The total haul in coins was fourteen coins with forty-one cents face value. There were eleven modern coins: nine Memorial cents and two clad dimes. Then the three older coins: two 1944 Wheat cents and the Mercury dime.

Guess what the date was on the Mercury dime?

Yep- you guessed it: 1944! All three of my older coins today were from 1944, as were two of my three silver coins on the previous visit.

One odd thing I noticed (beside the date 1944 coming up constantly) is that one of the Memorial cents I dug has an almost identical edge cut on it as the damaged 1944 cent that was my first find today. Strange.

When I got it home and rinsed it off, today's 1944 dime proved to be a nice one, in relatively high grade. 1944 is a common date and this is the fourth one I have found, but it adds to my silver count: I now have dug 64 Mercury dimes and a total of 189 silver coins. This one only needed a gentle soap and water rinse to regain its shine.

So I'm happy to report that February wasn't a total strikeout, after all.

~RWS

INDEX OF DIG STORIES

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the silver. I too, never tire of Mercs. It must of been cool to have them circulating along side the Walkers. Away with the dead presidents I say! Thanks for the report and have a great weekend.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • love them mercs...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Good thing you went back to that site- WTG

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Nice digs LM.........Congrats on the Merc Dime !...Always love that silver. I sure hate to see dirt being hauled in there....going to ruin a good spot for us....

Oh well...time for more research....
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still think there may be more to find there.. did you ask about the cellar?... dirt floor cellars are always a great potential source of goodies. Cheers, RickO
  • We don't have cellars here in Brunswick.....once you dig a two foot hole you hit water...we are at sea level...image
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭

Nice finds! I can't wait for us to plan a little trip down to Shellman's where I mentioned that guy lives.

How strange about the 1944 date?

wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Real nice dig, sir.

Mercury dimes are sweet fine. Thanks for sharing the finds and the story.
    I found a few sheets of Mercs myself and many are in the 1940s. Can't say I found every date though. I know for sure I haven't found 1918s and 1919s. That is the goal for two thousand and eight.

• Way to rescue those before the spot is gone for good...

(btw- don't see a lot of that sandy/soil out here, but when we do, the coins usually come out great)
  • davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    Nice find LM.
  • LM,

I was really hoping you would find that Cowboy to go with the Indian. I'm always ready to read your posts--great stories and I love the pics. Congrats on the Merc also. I sure do love diggin them myself. I've only found a few (4 or 5) but I keep hoping that the next signal I dig will be a Merc.

Speer34

imageimageimage
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I still think there may be more to find there.. did you ask about the cellar?... dirt floor cellars are always a great potential source of goodies >>

As Steve mentioned, we don't have cellars here in the Low Country, being so close to sea level. There is only one house in Brunswick with a full cellar. (It happens to be on Union Street, a few blocks south of this place).

Up north, relic hunters are able to use cellarholes to find long-vanished homesites, but down here, when rural relic hunting, we have to follow concentrations of oyster shell or sherds of old glass or pottery to find the disappeared houses, since there are no other visual clues remaining. You almost have to have "naked dirt", because the surface clues like glass and pottery sherds are not visible when there's grass and overgrowth. This is why so many of our relic sites are timber clearcuts or new construction, where bulldozers have been active.

Wes- If you get permission to poke around at Shellman's Bluff, I definitely wanna go with you. Even if we don't end up going detecting when you're down this way, I hope you'll gimme a call.

<< <i>Mercury dimes are sweet fine. Thanks for sharing the finds and the story.
    I found a few sheets of Mercs myself and many are in the 1940s. Can't say I found every date though. I know for sure I haven't found 1918s and 1919s. That is the goal for two thousand and eight. >>

One of my nicest Mercs happens to be a 1918-S. I can't recall if I have dug a 1919-S or not. I definitely don't have the 1921 coins or the 1916-D, but with 64 pieces dug so far, I have a pretty good spread of dates.

Speer- I tried to find the cowboy, as I mentioned in the story, but alas, he must be under one o' them dirtpiles.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Nice follow up Rob!

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage

• << <i>One of my nicest Mercs happens to be a 1918-S. I can't recall if I have dug a 1919-S or not. I definitely don't have the 1921 coins or the 1916-D, but with 64 pieces dug so far, I have a pretty good spread of dates. >>

I believe I dug a decent 1917-S last year. I managed to find only a few -S coins in my 'career'. I remember posting here about 2 or so years ago when I found the 1942-S Merc, my very first silver San Fran.

Looking forward to seeing more goodies from you.