Home Metal Detecting
Options

OK boys and girls.....gonna test your knowledge (pics added here)

on a little item I found...I am including a link so you can see it..I posted on another forum...Please feel free to let me know what you think....I certainly don't know..

I found this on our local ballast islands. We were sifting for clay pipes and coins. We found a spot that had pipes that date back to 1580-1620 and this little item was found. It was coated in a layer of rust, that would actually just flake off...and when I got home with it, I cleaned it and found it was actually gold gilt. I have tried in vain to find anything on it anywhere....what do you guys think?

The ends are leaf clusters that surround the little gold gilt balls that just bounce around inside of them...

Little item found on a ballast island

One of the little balls that are inside the oak leaves

Comments

• Options
    Baby rattle.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Five red X'es.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    It looks like a fancy collar clasp.

for the high collar dresses ,,possibly victorian ?

but then again ,,it may only be part of an Item and it could be part of a coin purse or clutch bag.
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Five red X's... )-: Cheers, RickO
  • Options

Looks like some sort of handle to me... for what though, is the question.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You think the balls were used for trade?

Al
  • Options

<< <i> You think the balls were used for trade? >>

I wouldn't think so....they are small...b-b size...And ornate......Some have offered a cloak clasp.....But I don't see how it would work...
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

I wouldn't think so....they are small...b-b size...And ornate......Some have offered a cloak clasp.....But I don't see how it would work... >>

Too small for a coat clasp, maybe a collar clasp for a shirt like twobits suggested. How about ornate little jangelies for ladies shoes? Or possibly something for a pet's collar that would enable you to hear them moving about?
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    They don't make any noise......the gold/copper is too quiet....I'm almost certain it is a clasp of some type...just not sure what kind.
  • Options
    JamericonJamericon Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
    Could have been part of a broach pin.

How long is it?
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • Options
    Not very long.....You can see the size reference compared to a cent...3" maybe??
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

Pretty neat item.

Looks like the "Little Shop of Horrors" plant. Maybe it was his tongue ring?

Where are these piles of ballasts? South End of St. Catherine's Island?

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>Where are these piles of ballasts? South End of St. Catherine's Island? >>

You got it...that is exactly where this item came from...Evidently you are familiar with them..image
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Its a shoe bell. It fits in the buckle or laces of shoes and jingles as you walk. My grandmother had a pair similar to that one except silver. They were not as ornamental but they look extremely close to what she had. Not sure why you would want them but she had them. I'll see if she still has them and I'll take a pic.
    Todd
  • Options
    Millennium,

I don't have a clue as to what it is, but it sure looks nice. Nice pics also!!!
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I agree with Todd on this one, I think it's a shoe bell/jangle... Cool pic of the 1980 penny though!

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    I agree with others from the relic forum, that's a coat clasp! I dug around a little online and found others similar to the you found. Nice piece!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    ASUtoddASUtodd Posts: 1,312 ✭✭
    Too small and appears to be too soft for a coat clasp. MaryM, post a pic of what you found if you can. I'm curious. Thanks!
    Todd
  • Options
    It's really not soft......It takes quite a tug to bend it at all...Most of the ones on other forums are saying it's a CLOAK clasp...the kind that held at the very top.
  • Options
    crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

I wouldn't think so....they are small...b-b size...And ornate......Some have offered a cloak clasp.....But I don't see how it would work... >>

Too small for a coat clasp, maybe a collar clasp for a shirt like twobits suggested. How about ornate little jangelies for ladies shoes? Or possibly something for a pet's collar that would enable you to hear them moving about? >>

C'mon man I had it first!
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • Options
    marymmarym Posts: 713
    Todd, I have no idea how to post something from the internet onto this board. If you type in "antique coat clasp" you'll get a truckload of hits. Mary
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Where are these piles of ballasts? South End of St. Catherine's Island? >>

You got it...that is exactly where this item came from...Evidently you are familiar with them..image >>

Been fishing there. We put in at Kilkenny Marina and usually stay on the North end and Ocean side of St. Catherine's though.

wes
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.