Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do you think there would be interest in...

...a magazine dedicated to modern vintage (i.e. 1951-1979)?

Lee's suggestion on my Topps Mexican thread that I write an article about the set got me thinking about the fact that there is not really a magazine that focuses on this era. Old Cardboard focuses on pre-1950, and lots of magazines focus on modern (i.e. post-1980), but there isn't really anything out there that focuses on "modern vintage".

Now I know next to nothing about magazine publishing, but it seems that given all the test and regional issues that were released during this time period, as well as the variety of sports (baseball, football, basketball, hockey, boxing, golf, soccer, multi-sport) and manufacturers, that there would be no shortage of potential interesting topics.

In the back of my head, I've always wanted to write about the sets/players I collect, and I'm sure that there are many other people who do too.

So do you guys think that:

a) there would be a market for such a magazine
b) that such a magazine could be published profitably

Thoughts?

Matt

Comments

• Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't Beckett already basically do this?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Steve,

They publish a lot of magazines, to be certain, but as far as I can tell they do not publish a multi-sport one devoted specifically to this era.

A typical issue of the type of magazine I'm pondering would include two or three set profiles from different sports, a couple of collector profiles, maybe a player profile, and an interview or two with people from the industry, past and present. Think feature-length articles like the ones that appear one per issue in SMR, except six or seven of them per issue and no price guide.

A typical article lineup might be:

1961 Fleer Basketball
    1971 Kellogg's Baseball
    Sportcasters
    1968 Topps Football Team Cards & Patches
    Player profile of Roberto Clemente
    Interview with collector
    Interview with someone who designed cards for Topps in the 50's

Whaddya think?

Matt

Matt
  • Options
    You should include O-Pee-Chee.
    Just a plug.
    Beckett is notorious for leaving us out.
    Do You Collect image Baseball 1937,1965-94,2008-09?
    Or Regional Canadian Baseball Issues?
    Come be a contributor to the OPC Baseball Wiki. It's free and easy!
    OPeeChee.Wikispaces.Com
  • Options
    Just a question...

Wouldn't you run out of topics eventually? It's easy with something like beckett where you have new players and products coming out monthly. However, with vintage everything is said and done and after some time, you'd probably end up repeating sets, years, players, etc.

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    The problem with such a magazine nowadays is in getting sufficient ad revenue. SCD et al. have suffered greatly from the internet proving a more advantageous place for most advertisers, and getting dealers, auction houses, etc. to fork over substantial sums to buy ads in something starting off with no subscription base.

It would make an awesome e-zine though. Distribution and production costs are so much lower that I expect selling ads would be sufficient to support it and maybe even turn a reasonable profit.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Zoot,

Given the number of sets that were produced by the various manfacturers during that 30-year period, I think that it would take 5-6 years before you ran out of topics. With that long a lag, you would have new readership and could begin to repeat topics. Just between Topps & OPC you've probably got 100+ sets when you include all the test issues and sports.

Nick,

Agree that the start-up process would be the most challenging aspect. Defintely would plan on having a website/e-zine, like Old Cardboard does. However given the type of potential demographic that such a magazine would attract (older with $$$ to spend), I would think that all the auction houses and dealers who specialize in Vintage (and advertise in Beckett & SMR) would be interested. Would have to offer low ad rates initially while building a subscriber base.

• Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    Fib:

The voice of experience is speaking to you.

The only thing harder than trying to start a restaurant that will last six-months,
    is trying to start a magazine that will last three-months.

Start a website, instead. Click-ads will pay for it.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The problem with such a magazine nowadays is in getting sufficient ad revenue. SCD et al. have suffered greatly from the internet proving a more advantageous place for most advertisers, and getting dealers, auction houses, etc. to fork over substantial sums to buy ads in something starting off with no subscription base. >>

There's always Coach's Corner...
  • Options
    I guess at this point I'm more trying to figure out if there would be enough interest in the topic before I even think about doing anything.

All I know is that since I collect a lot of the test issues I'm interested in it, but I don't know if anybody else is.

More than a magazine, what I really have always wanted to do is to develop a website with a well-researched article about every single set (regular/test/regional) from the big four sports (baseball/football/basketball/hockey) from 1951 to 1979.

Would people be interested in collaborating on such a project?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If such a publication existed, I'd certainly subscribe.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    Hey a bunch of numbers, uh I mean Matt. I personally think it is a great idea. A few points. I would keep the publication simple aka maybe old school newsprint (the cheapest method). Have a WEBSITE! Modern vintage should highlight 1945- 1973 but also cover 1974 to the boom. Potential articles- Topps cards released in series Variations- OPC- Venezualean- Proofs- Unissued- Cut card cases- Rack packs- Halloween Bags- Fake Xmas packs 1970 Kelloggs Cello packs issued with ironons . Just a few ideas. I can think of a few people on here who could share some info to the cause. Buy me a Beer or 12 and I might stay sober long enuff to write a article. Mike
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    I like the idea. But why modern vintage and not all vintage, considering that there really isn't that much vintage compared to modern anyway???

Bear in mind that Beckett Hockey is the only mag I can get on the shelf, so I don't know what's out there.
  • Options
    Nightcrawler,

The reason I'd want to focus on modern vintage is because:

a) it's what I collect and am knowledgable about
    b) there already is a magazine/website for the pre-Topps era, Old Cardboard
  • Options
    metalmikemetalmike Posts: 2,152 ✭✭
    How about the gum card era? When did topps stop putting the gum in packs? Is that the cut off date?" Factory" sets" Is it true the 1974 Topps Sears complete sets were hand sorted by the Fritsch family? image
    USN 1977-1987 * ALL cards are commons unless auto'd. Buying Britneycards. NWO for life.
  • Options
    A magazine about baseball cards from the 60s and 70s would be like a magazine about Lyndon Johnson. Interesting things could be written about either subject, but in periodicle form seems pretty silly
    Tom