Home Metal Detecting
Options

Could you guys point me in the right direction..

Well I love metal detecting , even though I use an old Radio shack detector and never found anything of value. I need to go to the next step and get something that works well. I was thinking of getting a Whites DFX. I dont mind learning as I go with it. I also wouldnt mind buying a used one. Could someone suggest a reputable metal detecting site that sell this perticular model at a low cost?
thanks!

Comments

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭

I don't know how the prices are (haven't checked in a while), but KellyCo has a bunch of MD stuff.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    Whites....Garrett...Fisher....Several brands out there that are excellent. I use a Garrett, always have, but I know others that use the other brands. What price range are you looking in?

• Options
    500 to 800 . I want anything that is reliable from 6 to 9 inches. Something that will also visually indicate what im targeting, copper coins , silver , gold ext.
  • Options
    Hmmm...all the detectors in that price range will do the job....Will you be relic hunting?...Coin hunting...Gold?...What is your main objective?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can personally recommend the DFX.... outstanding, versatile machine. Others will recommend the Garrett ( I have never used one, but have heard great reports.. LordM for one).. I would recommend visiting www.dfxonly.com and asking questions (free registration) and going to a shop (if one is near) and trying them a bit. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    I will be mostly looking for coins and using it around old houses, parks and schools. Im kind of shy with using it in really public places like the beach. obviously I want to pay the least ammount for the best kind of detector, but again I really want good accuracy and depth . thanks for the help so far guys image
  • Options
    I use a Garrett GTi2500......It works great for me, and I have the confidence that if I sweep the coil over the target, I will recover it...Remember though...90% of using a detector is the operator...
  • Options
    millennium - Im looking at your detector and it looks pretty solid. The only concern that i see is that users complain of it being heavy. Does it include an easy to read indicator for displaying finds? i guess What im trying to ask is if it shows different icons for different kinds of metals , coins ext. Id like to know if there is an owners manual listed somewhere as well.
  • Options
    Hey Madmac try Dixie metal detectors,there very friendly and will
    answer your questions.

If you want a whites I would look at the MXT instead of the DFX.

HH,Tom
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also get a nice sling to take the weight off your arm and increase your detecting time. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Some people do complain about the 2500 being a little heavy....and honestly, to me it was at first...but I can swing it over 8 hours a time now...The features are offset by the small "getting used to it" period...and I can promise...it'll get the job done...If you have ever been to my detector finds,( look below ) you can see...

Here is a great link to see the field tests done on almost if not all metal detectors out the now......The photo of the face of the one on the write up is black and white..here is an actual pic:

Field Tests on Detectors...By Lost Treasure Magazine
  • Options
    Thanks millennium for your help. Im positive the weight of that machine wouldnt bother me. I do weight training and my arms are pretty strong. Its going to be a choice between your 2500 and the MXT. I really like the indicators on that machine and the physical nobs for adjustments. Its just a matter of finding a good dealer now online.