Home Sports Talk
Options

If you could afford it would you go to the summer olympics in Beijing?

The only way I would go would be with a tour group led by someone who knows the language, venues etc. Trying to deal with the crowds
and traffic in general would probably be too confusing otherwise.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might think about it, a guy I know from work went there twice to adopt a couple of little girls and said the Chinese people in general were very nice people, the law enforcement/military police are very suspicious though but American money gets you pretty much anything you want. On a side note he is about 5'11 and arount 220llbs and the women LOVE him, they all say he is the largest man they ever seen! I guess in general the people over there are pretty small. It could be fun as a sigle guy...image
  • Options
    Aloha All,

Based on what the reports are from there, the IOC is worried about the pollution over there and says it's so bad that there are health risks with going there and they may have to postpone some events because of this. So I will be watching from home. For all of those that are planning on going anyway, have fun. I was at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 and had a blast.

Pollution

Daveimage
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I might think about it, a guy I know from work went there twice to adopt a couple of little girls and said the Chinese people in general were very nice people, the law enforcement/military police are very suspicious though but American money gets you pretty much anything you want. On a side note he is about 5'11 and arount 220llbs and the women LOVE him, they all say he is the largest man they ever seen! I guess in general the people over there are pretty small. It could be fun as a sigle guy...image >>

Oh yea that would be a "great" idea - meet some stranger Chinese girl, in some communist country whereby who knows what might happen and what law you could be breaking, and how much money you'll pay to get out of it or prison time you might serve because of it, just for an hour or so with some Chinese broad. Excuse me but no thanks and I ain't visiting China either as long as they are a communist country.

-
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I might think about it, a guy I know from work went there twice to adopt a couple of little girls and said the Chinese people in general were very nice people, the law enforcement/military police are very suspicious though but American money gets you pretty much anything you want. On a side note he is about 5'11 and arount 220llbs and the women LOVE him, they all say he is the largest man they ever seen! I guess in general the people over there are pretty small. It could be fun as a sigle guy...image >>

Oh yea that would be a "great" idea - meet some stranger Chinese girl, in some communist country whereby who knows what might happen and what law you could be breaking, and how much money you'll pay to get out of it or prison time you might serve because of it, just for an hour or so with some Chinese broad. Excuse me but no thanks and I ain't visiting China either as long as they are a communist country.

- >>

image Ever the sound of Reason! image I think you may be right Steve- I will pass as well...
  • Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely not. I'm saving my pennies for 2012 in London!

/s/ JackWESQ
  • Options
    I heard recently that the US olympic team is bringing in 25,000 pounds of their own meat to eat since they don't trust the health conditions
    for the food being served there.
  • Options
    Definitely not! No baseball=no fun. Baseball and track would be the only sports that I'd be interested in there. Plus, China scares me. image

I'll wait untill the World Baseball Classic next year, I'm SO PUMPED!!!!!!
  • Options
    I would definitely go if I could afford it this year. Beijing is not difficult to get around even if you don't know the language.
  • Options
    It's much better in HD and surround sound image
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't go to the Summer Olympics if they were free in my backyard.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

- >>

image Ever the sound of Reason! image I think you may be right Steve- I will pass as well... >>

If you've got the itch to cavort with loose, young, Asian women in quantity, countries such as Thailand would be better. LOL

-
  • Options
    I went to part of the summer olympics in LA in '84, it seems like 3 lifetimes ago.

The only Olympic team I really would have wanted to see was the Dream Team in 92.
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Yes, we thought about it because my FIL is working over there right now. We decided against it because we figured we'd spend too much time at the Games and not enough time seeing China.

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

If you've got the itch to cavort with loose, young, Asian women in quantity, countries such as Thailand would be better. LOL

Sounds like a dare! I'd like to see (red Sox) opening day in Japan
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

- >>

image Ever the sound of Reason! image I think you may be right Steve- I will pass as well... >>

- >>

Steve,

I totally agree with you. The land of Smiles is the place to go if you are looking for young hot Asian woman. Going back in Julyimage

Dave
  • Options
    baseballjeffbaseballjeff Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Nope, I would rather goto Beijing when the Olympics are not going on. I went to the Salt Lake Olympics to see Curling, because it was the only thing I could afford, but it was just a bunch of yuppies and rich snots walking around with dead animals around their backs. I'd rather spend the money and see a baseball game at Fenway, or Yankee stadium.
  • Options
    Actually after giving it some thoght I think the Red Light District in Amsterdam may be the right place for me image
  • Options
    This thread seems to be turning into lude commentary about sordid behavior with promiscuous women and prostitutes in various countries.

I like that. image

And it's all Perkdog's fault. image
  • Options
    And it's all Perkdog's fault.

I second that
  • Options
    OK OK sorry to bring up "lude commentary about sordid behavior with promiscuous women and prostitutes in various countries."

We can talk about the good 'ole USA then!

I hear outside of Las Vegas there are some GREAT places to visit! No need to worry about getting hassled by corrupt little Oriental paramilitary Officers.... Sound better?

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have no reason to go.... no interest at all.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    with all the pollution? no way. China is sucking natural resources from the global tit and destroying the environment, screw em.
  • Options
    The best athletes on the biggest stage competing in some of the best sports

Absolutely I would go if I could
    Tom
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

<< <i>China is sucking natural resources from the global tit and destroying the environment, screw em. >>

I'm not sure that the U.S. is much better.

But I digress. I'd actually love to visit China, but the Olympics just don't appeal to me anymore. When I was a kid, I used to be so sad when the Games ended, but now the event just strikes me as this huge made-for-TV orgy of corporate excess. I guess it might have been like that when I was a kid, but at age 10 you're still naive enough to believe in citius, altius, fortius.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Just got back from the Olympics in Beijing and had a terrific time. My experience was probably a bit different from everybody else's because my wife is from Beijing so we have family there whom we stayed with.

Went to two nights of track & field at the Bird's Nest, one night of diving at the Water Cube, one night of Volleyball, one night of Water Polo, and the Women's Soccer Gold Medal Match. Will post some pitcures once I get around to downloading them off my camera.

The Bird's Nest and the Water Cube are even more spectacular in person as they look on TV. Met people from all over the world and made more than a handful of new friends.

Also went for a terrific seven mile day hike on an unrestored section of the Great Wall between Simatai and Jingshaling.

Aside from the first three days, the air quality was as good as I can ever remember it (this was my seventh trip to Beijing), although I'm sure it will get back to it's normal horrible self once the Paralympic games are over in September and the factories rev back up.

Subway system was excellent for getting to and from venues (trains about every 1-2 minutes), and security was omnipresent without being overbearing (much more efficient than the TSA).
  • Options
    I have Deja Vu
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>The best athletes on the biggest stage competing in some of the best sports

Absolutely I would go if I could >>

Yep, those ping-pong players are certainly amazing athletes.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The best athletes on the biggest stage competing in some of the best sports

Absolutely I would go if I could >>

Yep, those ping-pong players are certainly amazing athletes. >>

all of them are better than I am
  • Options
    I would have like to go. I was really into the Olympics this year.
    --->imageimageimageimage<---