Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Robert Horry A Hall Of Famer? Steve Kerr? Eli Manning Given 7-10 Years Of "Decent" Stat

JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
You hear it all the time. Yeah, he put up a boat load of stats, but he never won the big one. Thus, not deserving of HOF. But what about the converse? He didn't put up a boat load of stats, but he won the big one ... seven (7) times. Just a case of right place right time?

The evidence: 7 points per game; 4.8 rebounds per game; 2.1 assists per game; 1.0 steal per game; 0.9 blocks per game; 7 NBA Championships (2 w/ Rockets; 3 w/ Lakers and 2 w/ Spurs).

What about Steve Kerr w/ five (5) NBA Championships. I'm thinking most of you are going to said NO, that neither Horry nor Kerr are HOFers. In which case, does the "excuse" that they didn't win the big one only come into play only after Player X puts up a boat load of stats? Or is the talk more about "greatness," e.g., Player X was great, but he could have been "greater" had he won at least one championship.

So for Eli Manning, now that he has "one in the bank," will he be a HOFer as long as he puts up "decent" stats for the next seven (7) to ten (10) years?

/s/ JackWESQ

Comments

• Options
    I think Horry would be ahead of Kerr, but I dont see them going to the hall.

Kerr reminds me of Dennis Johnson. But with DJ, he was an all star, made the all defensive team. I dont think Kerr even made one all star game. DJ meant much more to the celtics than kerr to the bulls.

Horry would be much higher than Kerr, but still not HOF worthy. Spider Salley won 4 rings, Ron Harper 5. Horace Grant 4. Those guys will never get in.

I dont see how you get into the HOF without being an all star, all nba team or on the all defensive team.

I see the NBA hall of fame as either...you're one of the 50 greatest players of all time. Or you're one step below, like Joe Dumars. Or Alex English, Rodman. A step below that, you start to get on the fence. Like DJ. Horry is probably one of the best players not in that category, but I dont see how he gets in.

The beauty with Eli is that he's still young. He was only drafted a few years ago. Still plenty of time to go. Could easily get there.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about the NBA but Eli needs to be good for the next 7+ years for consideration IMO-too early to tell. Yes he is a Manning which should help but if doesnt win another Super Bowl and has a little above average stats it would be tough IMO.
  • Options
    You may hear it often that someone was a great player but is not deserving of the Hall-of-Fame simply because they didn't win a championship. But whoever says it is an idiot
    Tom
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    While it hurts to say this, the only way Bobby gets to the HOF is by purchasing a ticket.

He's always been a role player and considered part of the stars' (Dream, Clyde, Koby, Shaq, Duncan, etc) supporting cast. Never dominated his position, never was the go-to guy, never considered the key of his team.

Hypothetically if he gets in, that would be comparable to spitting in the face of every other HOFer.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    you could put a ring on every finger and toe (and any other body parts) and Horry wouldnt be a hall of famer.