Home Metal Detecting
Options

Some ring finds over the past two months

Here are a few pics of some of the keepers over the past two months. Lets just say, I've had a great two months for finding rings. The majority of the rings are "junk" or questionable at best. Some of them may be good, but I don't see any markings on them and I'll have to take them somewhere for someone to make a judgement on them unless someone can point me in the direction of finding some equipment to determine gold, silver and other precious metals. Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a "stone tester"? I'm not sure what it's called, but what is a good, fairly moderate priced tester for stones and precious metals--any ideas?

Okay, without any further ramblings, here are some pics. The majority of the rings(9) were found in one park here where I live. There is an old man who stops and talks to me everytime I'm out there wondering what I'm finding. I have shown him a few of the rings and he's just amazed. That's another story that I'll get to later.

This first pic is a of the "keeper" rings for Jan and Feb.

This pic is the gold marking--it states 14KT G.F.--Is this gold filled? The ring isn't coming clean and I'm thinking that the ring is gold filled. Any ideas?

These are the "junk" rings from the past two months--the one in the top right corner is a BIG ring--no scales so I don't know how heavy it is.

And last but not least, here is a pic of my finds for Feb 08. Also, there is a jewelry piece (junk, I'm sure) and my one silver coin this month--1957D Rosie.

Thanks for looking.
Speer34

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options

Very nice Speer image
    You're on a ring roll!

As for the tester, I think LodiTom has one, maybe he'll chime in here. I've gone to a local shop when I've had questions and they've had no problems bringing out their tester. Just doing a quick search on google for reviews, I found this one: Diamond tester review
  • Options
    whoops, I see you were asking about precious metals testing...

This site talks about the acid testing to determine precious metals. I think that's what you'd be looking for: Acid testing
  • Options
    davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭
    nice job. I've yet to find a ring.
  • Options
    cool diggins and a nice pile o rings...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one special place you have... some people have MD'd for years and not found even cheap rings... Great finds.. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    Nice finds!..I'm pretty sure the GF means gold filled...it's a fancy name for plating..
  • Options

There's a fellow on eBay who sells these pens for testing metals. I think he has a patent for them, because he's the only one selling these pens.

His feedback is pretty solid and I've bought a couple of these pens, but haven't had much opportunity to really test them yet. What little testing I have done appears to be accurate, however.

The pen is cheap and there's no fooling around with stones and acids, although there is a mild acid in the pen I believe.

Here's the eBay link so you can check it out for yourself: Precious Metal Tester

Oh, and G.F. is indeed "gold filled" which is kind of a misleading term. Gold plated would be more accurate.