Home Metal Detecting
Options

First treasure hunt

Ok well I am back and it was interesting. It was frustrating at first. I went to the local park and found a lot of pull tabs. But then it started getting cool. Nothing big at first just a bunch of pennies. Then I hit a gold mine. Or a clad mine i should say. I found $.55 all stuck together. This find made me think. How in the heck does 2 quarters and a nickel dating 2006 get 5 inches into the soil that far? I don't have a digital camera yet so I wont be able to post any pics for a while.

In total I made $ .87. However I did find a ring. I don't know if it is silver or aluminum but, it was fun. I am using a Bounty hunter quick draw ll. I bet it will get a lot more fun once I know how to use it properly. I live in Washington state so I don't know how many aniques I may find. I am wanting to find more old coins and gold rings. Any hints on where to look. I was thinking under the bleachers at the local schools and beaches for finding rings.

Well off to do the family time thing. Looking forward to hearing any comments.

Good Day all
Jerry

Comments

• Options
    >>under the bleachers at the local schools and beaches for finding rings<<

Yes! And Yes! !
    Under grand stands is a good place...but can be hard work.
    The beach is also a fine place to get the goods. Get a sand scoop or make one.

Good Luck
    Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Have any friends with old yards in old neighborhoods?
    Those old yards could cough up some silver coins... I think that's usually the easiest way to find silver coins.
  • Options
    allright!...good first outing....friends with older houses is a great idea...the bleachers and beaches should produce as well....the key is getting out there and putting in the time...hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good finds ... especially on a first outing.... bleachers, beaches, old houses.. lovers lane - and check away from the walks - broken hearts throw the rings... kegger spots etc. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    those are all great ideas. Thank you.

Scary Jerry
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those pocket spills of clad can be fun. image

The older pocket spills are even MORE fun.

The BH QD2 is a good machine, if it is anything like its QD1 predecessor. I had the original Quick Draw, and it was a bangin' little machine for the money, and nice and lightweight, too!

Washington State? No colonial coins for you, perhaps, but you live in an area old enough for Seated Liberties, for sure. I think I read about some Seattle parks in H. Glenn Carson's Coinshooting book, a classic which came out in the 1970s. If you can pick up a copy, do so, by all means. The advice in it is timeless, even though detectors have changed. The way Carson wrote the book, it will probably never become obsolete. I believe the subtitle of the book is "how and where to use a metal detector", or something like that. I need to buy another copy. I had it almost completely memorized when I was younger. Carson covers the "where to go" question pretty nicely. He used to write a column in the back of Western & Eastern Treasures magazine. (For all I know, he still does, though he can't be that young anymore).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.