Home Sports Talk
Options

The greatest upsets in sports history

What are some of the top upsets in sports history ?

I guess the greatest upset in sports history would have had to have taken place in Lake Placid in 1980.

But what are some of the others ? Is the Giants win against NE really one of them ? How about the Jets against Baltimore ?
Would Stanford a 41 point underdog at USC this year qualify as one ?

I can't really think of any baseball upsets ???
I can't think of any basketball upsets either, except against Team USA.
Boxing ?
Tennis ?

Comments

• Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    being an Indians fan I think the Giants beating the Indians back in 1954 qualifies as an upset. I was all of two years old when it occurred but from what I've read over the years no one gave the Giants much of a chance and they kicked out butts.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2004 ALCS

The Bills win over the Oilers has got to be right up there after being down like 35-3 I think...
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I'm not a fan of theirs - I would have to put the 1969 Mets in there.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options
    JackWESQJackWESQ Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭
    Take your pick.

/s/ JackWESQ

1. U.S. beats Soviets Olympic ice hockey, 1980

2. New York Jets defeat Baltimore Colts, Super Bowl III, 1969

3. Villanova tops Georgetown to win 1985 NCAA championship

4. Buster Douglas KOs Mike Tyson for heavyweight championship, 1990

5. Man O' War loses only race, to 100-to-1 shot Upset, 1919

6. Denver Nuggets eliminate Seattle SuperSonics in 1994 NBA playoffs

7. Jack Fleck beats Ben Hogan at 1955 U.S. Open

8. New York Mets defeat Baltimore Orioles for 1969 World Series

9. Rulon Gardner overpowers Alexander Karelin for Greco-Roman wrestling gold, 2000

10. N.C. State knocks off Houston to win1983 NCAA championship
  • Options
    Buster knocking out Tyson is probably the biggest pure upset, Iron Mike was a beast, NO one saw that one comin (not even Buster)
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Syracuse over L'ville this year has to be way up there. 'cuse was something like +38.5, I believe.

Chaminade d. Virginia is also high on the list.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another vote for Buster Douglas.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huge upset of the Yankees beating the Phillies in the 1950 World Series. Phillies should have won that World Series.

Huge upset of the Raiders beating the Eagles in Super Bowl 15. Eagles should have won that Super Bowl.

Huge upset of the Patriots beating the Eagles in Super Bowl 39. Eagles should have won that Super Bowl.
  • Options
    Have to say the Lake Placid upset by the USA against the Soviets...absolutely incredible...and I say that as
    a Canadian...I watched the game live back in 1980 only expecting to see how badly the U.S. would get
    beat by the mighty Soviets....well.....what a wonderful shock to see what actually happened...I still get
    chills watching the highlights with Al Michaels announcing....

• Options
    Giants kicking New England's arse. image

"The answer was in the Patriots eyes. Gone were the swagger and c0ck sure smirks, replaced by downcast eyes and heads in hands. For his poise and leadership Eli Manning was named the game's MVP. The 2007 Giants were never perfect nor meant to be. They were fighters, scrappers....now they could be called something else, World Champions."
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The US defeating England 1-0 in the 1950 World Cup group play.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    While the US over the Soviets in hockey in 1980 was certainly a great achievement I think it is overhyped a bit because of the
    cold war political symbolism of it.

There are a great number of upsets and for myself I can't claim one in particular as better than another, a lot of these kinds of discussions have to do with personal preferences of one sport or a team over another.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Bills win over the Oilers has got to be right up there after being down like 35-3 I think... >>

That was a comeback, not an upset.

And for reminding me of repressed memories, may you develop an annoying rash in the middle of your back that you can't reach.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Maybe not the greatest upset but a very good one was Jacksonville over Denver in the 1996 NFL playoffs. Denver was at home and the
    line was the Broncos by 14.5 points. Jacksonville won 30-27. A great game and a huge shock to the Broncos fans.

I remember driving to work the Friday before the game and listening to a preview of that weekends NFL playoff games and when they
    got to this one the sports analyst was practically guaranteeing a win for the Broncos, he was even laughing about Jacksonvilles chances.
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    How about the little school in Indiana that won the state tournament in the 50's? Maybe somebody else can give more details about the game.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&amp;_in_kw=1&amp;_ex_kw=&amp;_sacat=0&amp;_udlo=&amp;_udhi=&amp;_ftrt=901&amp;_ftrv=1&amp;_sabdlo=&amp;_sabdhi=&amp;_samilow=&amp;_samihi=&amp;_sadis=15&amp;_stpos=61611&amp;_sargn=-1&saslc=1&amp;_salic=1&amp;_fss=1&amp;_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&amp;_saslop=1&amp;_sasl=mygirlsthree3&amp;_sop=12&amp;_dmd=1&amp;_ipg=50&amp;_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    stanford over USC this year
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The Bills win over the Oilers has got to be right up there after being down like 35-3 I think... >>

That was a comeback, not an upset.

And for reminding me of repressed memories, may you develop an annoying rash in the middle of your back that you can't reach. >>

image Your right, my bad!!!
  • Options

<< <i>How about the little school in Indiana that won the state tournament in the 50's? Maybe somebody else can give more details about the game. >>

I remember hearing about it, wasen't that the basis of the movie "Hoosiers"?
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭

<< <i>How about the little school in Indiana that won the state tournament in the 50's? Maybe somebody else can give more details about the game. >>

That was Milan, Indiana against Muncie Central. They had defeated Crispus Attacks earlier who was led by Oscar Robertson. Muncie Central was until recently a basketball powerhouse in Indiana. I had the pleasure of student teaching in 1970 at Mishawaka High School. The head basketball coach was Marv Wood who had coached Milan to the championship game. He recently passed on and was a dimunitive and gracious man. I was very proud to call him a friend. Inn 1954 when they won the tourney they had a total of 161 students. The movie Hoosiers is loosely based on Milan.story link
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Nova beating Georgetown was a remarkable feat and story.
  • Options
    1980 US hockey team had several players go on to have long NHL careers. 1972 Soviet basketball team over US was the bigger Olympic upset

Buster Douglas has to be the choice. Came in a title fight, unlike choices such as Chaminade and such and odds were over 40-1. To put that in perspective, the Patriots were as low as 4-1 some places
    Tom
  • Options

<< <i>Nova beating Georgetown was a remarkable feat and story. >>

And an incredible game as I remember. I believe Nova shot somewhere around 70% from the floor that night.
  • Options
    App. St beating Michigan in the big house!
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Gotta be the Raiders vs. Steelers playoff game, 1972, aka The Immaculate Reception. It was the most upset I've ever gotten, damn near kicked a hole through my black and white tv set!
  • Options

<< <i>While the US over the Soviets in hockey in 1980 was certainly a great achievement I think it is overhyped a bit because of the
    cold war political symbolism of it.

There are a great number of upsets and for myself I can't claim one in particular as better than another, a lot of these kinds of discussions have to do with personal preferences of one sport or a team over another. >>

Hmmm... I think that the political symbolism certainly adds to the mytique of this upset, but it's a valid part of it and certainly should not be discounted. The physical feat alone would put this in the top-10 or top-5 on almost any list, but when you add the political aspect and timing, it puts it #1 on pretty much any list... and rightly so. I think that you pretty much had to be alive (and old enough) during that time to have a true appreciation for what it meant. And, one could argue that this was the beginning of the end of the USSR. Sure, the hockey game itself was not an actual factor in the wall eventually coming down and the breakup of the USSR, but I think a lot of people look at this game a starting point for it. Shortly after, Reagan began hammering & hammering on them, and eventually his hard work (along with cooperation from Gorbacev) ended one of the most brutal regimes in human history.
    Jim G
    All-time favorite athletes:
    Steve Sax, Steve Garvey, Larry Bird, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Andre Agassi, Karch Kiraly, Wayne Gretzky, Ichiro Suzuki, Andres Galarraga, Greg Maddux.
    "Make the world a better place... punch both A-Rods in the face (Alex Rodriguez and Andy Roddick)!"
  • Options
    I was at the Bills - Oilers game and then we went and watched it again at a local watering hole. I couldn't talk for almost a week!

2004 ALCS - How sweet it was!