Home Metal Detecting

Spring is coming..

...and I just realized that I need a decent digging tool. I's sick to death of bending up $5.00 garden trowels. Any Suggestions of what and where to buy?
I collect circulated U.S. silver

Comments

• I haven't actually used this one yet, but it sure looks and feels impressive. The price is right too!

Saber Tooth Trowel
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lesche digging tool... check Kelleyco or White's. Cheers, RickO
  • get a grave shovel......dead digger.....hee hee hee....go with the lesche....hddh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • DockwalliperDockwalliper Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭
    Lesche.

George Lesche now makes his tools under the name Predator tools.

I suggest model 85.............I have two. Predator Tools
  • crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lesche digging tool... check Kelleyco or White's. Cheers, RickO >>

Definately a Lesche. Link. I'm not pimping this eBay auction just showing you what it looks like. I have dug through tons of dirt and rocky soil with it. I have pried rocks and sawed through tree roots with it. It looks somewhat intimidating enough to keep some of the freakies at bay. Just a good, solid tool that is well worth the money.
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."
  • davbecdavbec Posts: 321 ✭✭

<< <i>I haven't actually used this one yet, but it sure looks and feels impressive. The price is right too!

Saber Tooth Trowel >>

I use this one and its very durable. Theres no flex on it what so ever. The only thing wrong
    with it is at the end of the handle the rubber grip starts to get cut from the metal inside
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I haven't actually used this one yet, but it sure looks and feels impressive. The price is right too!

Saber Tooth Trowel >>

I use this one and its very durable. Theres no flex on it what so ever. The only thing wrong
    with it is at the end of the handle the rubber grip starts to get cut from the metal inside >>

Same one I have been using for two years now, have used it to chip away at near rock hard gravel and frozen ground and never left a mark on it! My handle grips still in good shape.
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I bought the Sabre tooth trowel for two reasons. First, it is cheap. If it wears out or I hate it, the Lesche will still be out there. Secondly, If I am searching where I shouldn't be and the police come to hassle me, I'd rather be using a tool that looks like a shovel than one that looks like a Rambo knife.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • crispycrispy Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks to everyone who replied. I bought the Sabre tooth trowel for two reasons. First, it is cheap. If it wears out or I hate it, the Lesche will still be out there. Secondly, If I am searching where I shouldn't be and the police come to hassle me, I'd rather be using a tool that looks like a shovel than one that looks like a Rambo knife. >>

I believe the Lesche states "to be used for digging" on the blade but I understand your concern. Law enforcement may react differently from place to place. Good luck with the Sabre!
    "to you, a hero is some kind of weird sandwich..."

• << <i>Thanks to everyone who replied. I bought the Sabre tooth trowel for two reasons. First, it is cheap. If it wears out or I hate it, the Lesche will still be out there. Secondly, If I am searching where I shouldn't be and the police come to hassle me, I'd rather be using a tool that looks like a shovel than one that looks like a Rambo knife. >>

"THEY drew first blood, not me. They drew first blood."

Sorry guys, 80's flashback... image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hori-hori knife (also known as a 3-in-1 knife). I've used one for the past 14 years. The SAME one.

Or the Lesche that the others recommended.

PS- here's my hori-hori in action, the last time I went out. Duct-taped handle and all. image

Fourteen years and still goin' strong, though the handle could use another wrapping (the wood cracked eight or ten years ago), and the sawtooth edge definitely needs sharpening. The point is nice and round and blunt, though, the way you want a digging knife to be.

I wouldn't trade my trusty ol' ugly hori-hori knife for nothin'! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for linkin' it up.

Here's what a new one should look like (in contrast to my beloved 14-year-old one).

The "hori-hori" name and the Japanese characters and stuff on this particular example are because "hori-hori" supposedly means "dig-dig" in Japanese. These are made for bonsai tree gardening.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.