Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1980 Topps Variations How/Where do you get Pop for your graded cards?

I have a 1980 Topps Baseball Card #547 John Wathan "Name In Yellow".

According to the 2008 SCD this cards BV in NM is $200 which it increased by $20 from the 2007 SCD.

I am not fanatical about this card by any means but I check every few weeks to see it I can find another for sale or listed and I never have yet. I got the card graded by PSA and although I can see how many 1980 Topps #547 cards have graded I can not get any info on the Yellow variation. Looking through the set registry sets that have images they all show the normal Red version which books at $0.15.

I want to sell the card eventually but I want to know more about its rareness and obscurity.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Bill

For Sale Or Trade: Joe DiMaggio Signed PSA/DNA Authenticated First Edition/First Printing 1946 "Lucky To Be A Yankee" Book, Always Looking To Buy N.Y. Yankee & Thurman Munson Cards & Memorabilia, Lots Of Raw 1963 1964, 1965, 1968, 1969 Topps Baseball and 1963 Raw & Graded Fleer Baseball

Comments

• Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    i know the fred stanley yellow letter variation sold for a couple thousand, and i believe it was like psa 6 or 7.

that card is mislabeled first of all,
    secondly it should be selling for a gnarly premium.

gl & sell it to me it you wanna get rid of it.

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    Bill/J, those are interesting variations. Never knew that they were around.

Bill, where did you pull/buy that card from?
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    DavidPuddyDavidPuddy Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭
    Oh great! Now I have to go thru all my 1980 Topps for Yellow Variations, my 1982 Topps for blue/blackless variations, my 88 Donruss for assorted variations... When will it end?

I hope neverimage
    "The Sipe market is ridiculous right now"
    CDsNuts, 1/9/15
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    The Stanley sold for around 2k to keith Olbermann.

If I was the owner of the Wathan card I'd put it up on Ebay with a starting bid of 999.99

And see what happens.

The Yellow names are very scarce.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    as julen mentioned, the card is mislabeled in the holder. is it a yellow variation or is it faded from red? if it is the variation i'd go with winpitcher's recommendation and list it.

isn't there a few others yellow variations other than wathan and stanley?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    quality control is NOT job 1

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options

1980 Topps 164 Pryor no name vs name in blue, 343 Vail break in left border and Yellow name variations: 9 Braun, 387 Wathan 537 Stanley, 597 Poquette

Thanks to George verichesck

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    The card shown here is indeed a yellow name variation, if the sun faded it the other parts of the card would also
    appear faded.

The Stanley sold for 2k to Obermann who I think collects Yanks. It was raw.

Good luck on the Wathan, you may want PSA to correct the cert. (that is if they agree on this as a variation)

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    BkritzBkritz Posts: 1,093 ✭✭
    I have a Wathan with half yellow letters and half red letters. I will try and post a picture later.

B
  • Options
    BrinsdBrinsd Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Hello Everyone,

I apologize for not updating this post after the initial post I placed. I have been out of town and moved into my new home last weekend which was a disaster! To update this Card situation, I returned the card to PSA the day after I placed the original post to have the Correction for the missing yellow variation distiction and while dropping it off I saw JP - Pres of Memory Lane at PSA and we discussed the card and had PSA competed the correction in the four days they said they would it would have been consigned to Memory Lane for their recent auction and the thought was it would probably be able to obtain a $1500 - $2000 winning bid. So I didn't get to take advantage of that opportunity but it will be ready this afternoon for me to pick up and I am considering how to move forward with the sale of this item. I contacted sotheby's fpr their upcoming auction and they have expressed interest as I have a few items I have sold throught them in the past and I am consigning to them for their next auction as well. The one reason that has made me look to go with a well known name for this cards sale is I was looking for a person or company who could get in contact with keith Olbermann directly as it was the general consensus that he would definately be interested in this card and both Memory Lane and Sotheby's have had that direct contact and previous sales with him. If anyone can put me in direct contact with keith Olbermann and I can negotiate the sale with him, I am happy to offer a 10% finders fee for the assistance. I have no problem showing the transaction details to the person who assists me with the contact info that gets me to a point where I can communicate with him so that they can be assurred they are receiving the full commission amount for their efforts. Likewise if anyone here is seriously interested in the purchase of the card please let me know what you are offerring and I will be happy to discuss it. As a final note I would gladly accept trade offers of relative value and if you cant tell already I am a lifelong NY Yankee fan and collector of both Cards and Memorabilia, so anything along the lines of the NY Yankees is a sure bet that I will consider it seriously. My current collection spans from the Original Blueprint for the Front Door to the stadium which was designed in 1922 and features the signatures of the engineer and the city officials as well as the city stamp of approval and is a fantastic item that is a conversation piece to say the least, I also have the first edition/first print edition of Joe DiMaggios' "Lucky To Be A Yankee which he autographed in the late 50's for my grandfather and is trully rare as the original publisher printed it in 1946, 2 years before the Bantam published version was released and brought DiMaggio another level of fame and respect as the 1948 version was a huge seller which equates to a difference of about $2000.00 less in value for the same item because of the rarity of the 1946 Randolph Press version and to my knowledge PSA has only been the authenticators of one other copy besides mine and there are no GAI, JSA, or other respected company which has autheticated a vintage DiMaggio signature on a 1946 copy. I also have a copy of Nettles book "Balls" personally dedicated to me, Roger Kahns ook October Men First Edition Signed, Winfields, Baylors, Sheffields, Lyles, Berra's and a few others books signed, I have team signed baseballs from 1977, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1998, and 2005 as well as sixty single signed balls, and a bat collection from Mantle to Jeter too! I am missing a Munson single signature item and a hundreds of other great items I am sure someone is holding that I would drool over so dont be shy. Also trade items need not be yankee centric as a nice collection of vintage cards or a set of cards or group of graded or single card.

I will post a new pic when I get it back today.

Take care!
    For Sale Or Trade: Joe DiMaggio Signed PSA/DNA Authenticated First Edition/First Printing 1946 "Lucky To Be A Yankee" Book, Always Looking To Buy N.Y. Yankee & Thurman Munson Cards & Memorabilia, Lots Of Raw 1963 1964, 1965, 1968, 1969 Topps Baseball and 1963 Raw & Graded Fleer Baseball
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

<< <i>as julen mentioned, the card is mislabeled in the holder. is it a yellow variation or is it faded from red? if it is the variation i'd go with winpitcher's recommendation and list it.

isn't there a few others yellow variations other than wathan and stanley? >>

i would find it strange the name faded but not Royals??
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    Bill

Too hard to read your post. Maybe next time break it up into paragraphs?

Sorry

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    smallstockssmallstocks Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting read but brutal on the eyes. Had to stop half way through.

Late 60's and early to mid 70's non-sports
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    While these variations are tough, keep in mind that the significant premium that Olbermann paid on the Stanley was because Keith is a Yankees completist. Wathan may appeal to Olbermann, but I seriously doubt that his interest would be piqued at the level it was for the Stanley.

While the card might do well through an auction house, keep in mind that most auctioneers aren't as much worried about the final sales price as they are in having unique material. I would think that from a bottom line standpoint, you would do just as well and expose the item to more potential buyers via eBay with a well written description and accompanying evidence from previous sales of similar variants. Utilizing eBay would also afford you the safety net of a reserve price, although estimates approaching $2000.00 might be a bit high, I would expect to see such an item sell in the $800.00-1250.00 range.

I wish you luck in whichever avenue you decide to pursue with regard to the liquidation of this interesting card.

• Options
    keep in mind that the significant premium that Olbermann paid on the Stanley was because Keith is a Yankees completist.

that, and he has the pockets to do so.

Steve

Good for you.
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Are there any names in yellow that are not variation? I remember going through some of my 1980 Topps looking for the Stanley (only the Stanley) and found some cards that did have the yellow name. But I am not sure if they were supposed to be yellow or not.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    red normal
    yellow variation
    --------------------

i couldnt read his entire post, my lasix reversed itself halfway through....

jesus

j
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
    I did a search for this card and found it on a spanish version of ebay.

link
    Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I did a search for this card and found it on a spanish version of ebay.

link >>

Kinda like the actual auction at this link?
  • Options
    BrinsdBrinsd Posts: 83 ✭✭
    First of I want to apologize to everyone for the difficulty in reading my previous messages.

Kinda new and not a typist especially late at night.

I got the card back corrected and went out of town almost immediately afterwards due to a death in my family and I am finally back and ready to start buying and selling again.

Attached is the picture which shows from left to right 3 rare or difficult cards I own:

First is the 1980 Topps #547 John Wathan Yellow Variation Finally Corrected

Next is the 1968 O-PEE-CHEE #45 Tom Seaver Rookie Card

And lastly, is the 1982 Topps #383 Pascual Perez No Position Variation which is currently at PSA being graded.

I haven't had a chance to try and find Olberman's e-mail address but if anyone should happen to have that handy, I would love to send off a few emails and try my luck with that before I stick it up on eBay.

Thanks and have a great Weekend!

Bill